Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion and children
Religion and children
For anyone who thinks that raising children in church, and according to the bible, doesn't harm them. Think again.

After walking away from the baptist faith, well religion in general, I've had a couple open talks with my kids about this. I was sad and surprised by some of the things they have shared with me.

My daughter is 25. It was only a couple years ago that she admitted to me, for the first time, that when she was little, she was constantly worried that she wasn't really "saved", and would go to hell.

She felt that every time she did something really bad, (in her mind), that jesus would be mad at her, and then she worried that maybe she wasn't going to heaven, so nearly every night, she went through the salvation process of admitting sin, and asking jesus into her heart. My son admitted to often feeling the same way.

This went on for years, unknown to me. All because of her fear of hell.

Mind you, I was a stay at home mom, and very close to my kids. We talked about anything and everything. Naturally, I asked her why she never told me, and she said it was because she felt bad....she didn't want me to know that she often didn't "feel" saved. She thought that was a sin too.

Another big issue for my kids, was when one of their grandmas died, who was an outspoken atheist. Not only are they devastated at the loss of grandma, but now they are facing the images of her burning in hell. Sadly, at the time, I was still very much a christian, and struggled in what to say to comfort them.

They also felt pressure to witness to anyone they cared about, because they worried that those people would burn in hell. What a horrific responsibility to put on any child ever.

We do so much to protect them from any type of brutality while they are growing up, yet don't even consider what they are being exposed to at church.
[Image: graphics-rain-426733.gif]
RE: Religion and children
I think raising kids in an environment where judgement, punishment and disapproval from some ultimate authority is, essentially, child abuse. It's why I've never allowed my kids to be dragged off to church. No sleepovers on Saturday night with known every Sunday worshipers, unless it's understood that my kids comes home before service, no going to that "fun" thing with their friend at the local church and certainly no door-to-door jeebus salesmen allowed to talk to them. I just can't see burdening a kid with that level of guilt, fear and lack of self-esteem.

On the other hand, the wife and I have always been open about all the christer taboo subjects like sex (especially my sex before marriage stance), sexuality, race (I hate that term, but don't know what else to use), drugs, belief and lack thereof and you know what? We managed to raise a couple strong, independent (too much so at times Smile ), free thinking, open, honest, caring kids. Neither is pregnant or strung out on drugs. They aren't bigoted by race, gender, sexual preference, social status or any other bullshit, made-up differences. One is bi and a self proclaimed atheist. The other is a bit boy crazy and a self proclaimed agnostic (reasoning her own way around to atheism). She asks the toughest (to theists) religious questions.

Neither carries any guilt she didn't earn through her own actions and they're things they should feel guilty for. I think we did ok, especially compared to their friends parents who "put the fear of gawd into them" and are now dealing with rehab and extreme sexual promiscuity in one case and teen (15-year old) intentional pregnancy in another. Yes, I know there are good christer parents who can claim the same thing but to me the averages seem low on the christer side.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Clap

Hell ain't real.

God is not...

Live your life.

Love... always.

Wink
I was raised in a Southern Baptist home, and as a child I often felt afraid; afraid of hell, afraid of Jesus being angry at my "sinning"... you get the picture. I would ask Jesus every night to forgive me of my sins, and was taught to include the phrase "and any sins I unknowingly committed" and I was constantly worried over what those could be. I often had terrible nightmares about hell, and went through much of what you described over your children being constantly fearful of not being saved.

I'll never put my kid through the inner hell I was put through as a kid.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
Fundamentalism is brutality wherever it occurs.
(June 27, 2014 at 2:44 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Fundamentalism is brutality wherever it occurs.

Fundamentalism isn't what's being discussed here. Just everyday christer bullshit that just happens to be harmful.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Christians who raise their children to fear hell if they question or doubt everything the Bible says are to some degree very evil people, worse than most.

Since the Bible instructs them to do just that, it follows the Bible is also to some degree a very evil book.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(June 27, 2014 at 2:39 am)Starvald Demelain Wrote: I was raised in a Southern Baptist home, and as a child I often felt afraid; afraid of hell, afraid of Jesus being angry at my "sinning"... you get the picture. I would ask Jesus every night to forgive me of my sins, and was taught to include the phrase "and any sins I unknowingly committed" and I was constantly worried over what those could be. I often had terrible nightmares about hell, and went through much of what you described over your children being constantly fearful of not being saved.

I'll never put my kid through the inner hell I was put through as a kid.

You know what? I forgot that we also included the unknown sins. I can see that you did suffer much like my kids. But, you also got away from religion much younger, than I did...good for you!

I do want to follow up with the fact that my babies are both happy and well-adjusted, now.

My daughter, who is older and was indoctrinated longer, is agnostic. She cannot comprehend there not being a creator of some type. But she agrees that the bible is a fairy tale.

My son is 100% atheist.

I didn't care what they ultimately chose, I just wanted them to realize they had that option.

They were around 11 & 17 when I stopped going to church. I fixed it as soon as I realized, but the guilt still creeps in, from time to time.
[Image: graphics-rain-426733.gif]
(June 27, 2014 at 4:01 am)CindysRain Wrote: They were around 11 & 17 when I stopped going to church. I fixed it as soon as I realized, but the guilt still creeps in, from time to time.

Don't beat yourself up over it. As much as I rail against the religious indoctrination of children, I also recognize that most parents, of whatever persuasion, do their best with whatever baggage and bullshit they happen to be carrying around and believe they are making the right decisions out of love for their kids. You recognized the problem and took steps to fix it. Your children sound like well-adjusted people, and I'm sure they never doubt how much you love them.
(June 27, 2014 at 1:53 am)CindysRain Wrote: For anyone who thinks that raising children in church, and according to the bible, doesn't harm them. Think again.

After walking away from the baptist faith, well religion in general, I've had a couple open talks with my kids about this. I was sad and surprised by some of the things they have shared with me.

My daughter is 25. It was only a couple years ago that she admitted to me, for the first time, that when she was little, she was constantly worried that she wasn't really "saved", and would go to hell.

She felt that every time she did something really bad, (in her mind), that jesus would be mad at her, and then she worried that maybe she wasn't going to heaven, so nearly every night, she went through the salvation process of admitting sin, and asking jesus into her heart. My son admitted to often feeling the same way.

This went on for years, unknown to me. All because of her fear of hell.

Mind you, I was a stay at home mom, and very close to my kids. We talked about anything and everything. Naturally, I asked her why she never told me, and she said it was because she felt bad....she didn't want me to know that she often didn't "feel" saved. She thought that was a sin too.

Another big issue for my kids, was when one of their grandmas died, who was an outspoken atheist. Not only are they devastated at the loss of grandma, but now they are facing the images of her burning in hell. Sadly, at the time, I was still very much a christian, and struggled in what to say to comfort them.

They also felt pressure to witness to anyone they cared about, because they worried that those people would burn in hell. What a horrific responsibility to put on any child ever.

We do so much to protect them from any type of brutality while they are growing up, yet don't even consider what they are being exposed to at church.

Welcome to the world of rational thinking.

Don't think emotional bullying doesn't exist outside religion. Try proposing an alternative scientific theory to the prevailing consensus, history is repeat with examples of how innovators in the sciences have been treated badly, I don't just mean the justifiable challenges from peers, I mean pernicious, spiteful behaviour born of self-righteousness and social arrogance.

That, unfortunately, is humanity for you.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suffer the little children to come unto me LinuxGal 2 624 August 7, 2023 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Children removed from Jewish sect's jungle compound in Mexico zebo-the-fat 3 613 September 30, 2022 at 5:12 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10601 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The problem of evil/suffering when it comes to children Redbeard The Pink 163 23918 February 26, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4869 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Study: religious children are less generous and more judgmental Aroura 17 4453 November 7, 2015 at 2:42 am
Last Post: GoHalos1993
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19601 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Indoctrinating Children in Religion Nope 136 14806 March 21, 2015 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Vox Populi
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 48976 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Should children be violently abused without their permission. Oldm8 86 11053 August 9, 2014 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Jenny A