Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 1:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
A question for Anti-Theists
A question for Anti-Theists
For those of you who are anti-theists, or anti-religion, what lead you to hold your views? Why did you go one step ahead of atheism? In general, an atheist simply rejects all god claims and doesn't believe in any deities. An anti-theist not only rejects all god claims, but they openly fight against theistic beliefs and label all religion as harmful to society and mankind.

For me personally, the reason I'm not an anti-theist is because I simply don't care about attacking religion and beliefs. Sure, I'll get involved in debates with theists on this site, but I don't defy and fight theism in real life, nor am I an outspoken atheist. I also don't go looking for religious people to debate or ridicule on the internet.

I've read lots of bad experiences people have had because of their beliefs. I consider myself fortunate to have never gone through anything bad as a child in relation to church, Sunday school or religion (well, except for being lead to believe in Jebus). Sorry for rambling, but I'll appreciate any answers from people about why they are anti-theists. Smile
RE: A question for Anti-Theists
(June 27, 2014 at 12:57 pm)Broseph Ballin Wrote: For those of you who are anti-theists, or anti-religion, what lead you to hold your views? Why did you go one step ahead of atheism?
I don't know that I'd call it "one step ahead" - ahead of what, of whom, how would that be measured? It's just a different position altogether. One doesn't even have to be an atheist to express an anti-theist position. I suppose it's one of those fragile sorts of modifiers used to convey nuance.

Quote: In general, an atheist simply rejects all god claims and doesn't believe in any deities. An anti-theist not only rejects all god claims, but they openly fight against theistic beliefs and label all religion as harmful to society and mankind.
To be dead on accurate, if we want to compare what you're calling an "atheist position" with it;s like in anti-theism.....an anti-theist could accept all god claims, and remain an anti-theist. You're trying to compare apples and oranges. I suppose it's on the periphery though. If I simply thought that these things were untrue then so what - another fairy tale told to children...get in line. It is precisely because I think these things are horrid -even if they were true- and that -regardless of whether or not they are true, people act upon them as if they were- that I "fight against theistic beliefs" etc.

Quote:For me personally, the reason I'm not an anti-theist is because I simply don't care about attacking religion and beliefs.
Neither do I, as an anti-theist.

Quote:Sure, I'll get involved in debates with theists on this site, but I don't defy and fight theism in real life, nor am I an outspoken atheist. I also don't go looking for religious people to debate or ridicule on the internet.
Neither do I, as an anti-theist.

Quote:I've read lots of bad experiences people have had because of their beliefs. I consider myself fortunate to have never gone through anything bad as a child in relation to church, Sunday school or religion (well, except for being lead to believe in Jebus). Sorry for rambling, but I'll appreciate any answers from people about why they are anti-theists. Smile
So have I, but I, like you, had no "bad experiences" in my childhood either. In fact I've had wonderful experiences of (and because of) the faith of others.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 27, 2014 at 12:57 pm)Broseph Ballin Wrote: For those of you who are anti-theists, or anti-religion, what lead you to hold your views? Why did you go one step ahead of atheism? In general, an atheist simply rejects all god claims and doesn't believe in any deities. An anti-theist not only rejects all god claims, but they openly fight against theistic beliefs and label all religion as harmful to society and mankind.

It's been a gradual change for me.

I think I've always been against religious fundamentalism. It leads to wars, anti-science movements, scaring children with hellfire, and any number of other bad things. I don't know how anyone who doesn't believe can possibly think fundamentalism whether Christian or Muslim is not major world problem.

My concern about more moderate beliefs has grown slowly. What I see is people looking inside themselves, coming to a conclusion, and labeling that conclusion god. Once the conclusion is labeled god, all debate is over. That person ceases to think on the subject. That is dangerous. And it's part of what drives extremely divisive issues like abortion, homosexuality, sex education etc.

Quote:For me personally, the reason I'm not an anti-theist is because I simply don't care about attacking religion and beliefs. Sure, I'll get involved in debates with theists on this site, but I don't defy and fight theism in real life, nor am I an outspoken atheist. I also don't go looking for religious people to debate or ridicule on the internet.

I'm not likely to ever go door to door arguing with theists. Nor am I likely to barge into theist sites arguing for atheist. But I am becoming much more outspoken. I think atheism needs to be more public. In particular the reasons for atheism need to be more public.

Quote: I've read lots of bad experiences people have had because of their beliefs. I consider myself fortunate to have never gone through anything bad as a child in relation to church, Sunday school or religion (well, except for being lead to believe in Jebus). Sorry for rambling, but I'll appreciate any answers from people about why they are anti-theists. Smile

I haven't really had any bad religious experiences. I have fond memories of the church I was raised in even though I never really believed.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(June 27, 2014 at 12:57 pm)Broseph Ballin Wrote: For those of you who are anti-theists, or anti-religion, what lead you to hold your views? Why did you go one step ahead of atheism? In general, an atheist simply rejects all god claims and doesn't believe in any deities. An anti-theist not only rejects all god claims, but they openly fight against theistic beliefs and label all religion as harmful to society and mankind.

For me personally, the reason I'm not an anti-theist is because I simply don't care about attacking religion and beliefs. Sure, I'll get involved in debates with theists on this site, but I don't defy and fight theism in real life, nor am I an outspoken atheist. I also don't go looking for religious people to debate or ridicule on the internet.

I've read lots of bad experiences people have had because of their beliefs. I consider myself fortunate to have never gone through anything bad as a child in relation to church, Sunday school or religion (well, except for being lead to believe in Jebus). Sorry for rambling, but I'll appreciate any answers from people about why they are anti-theists. Smile

I'll tell you what...

Let's meet on the roof of the World Trade Center and you try to convince me that it is not worth fighting against religion, and I'll try to convince you that it is...

...oh wait... Thinking

Not to mention;

Religious persecution of gays and preventing them from having equal rights.

Religious based pseudoscience taught in public schools.

Witch burnings by Christians in Africa.

The impeding of scientific advancement based on religious beliefs (stem cell research).

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
Why am I anti-theist? The various atrocities committed by the world's religions, usually with scripture as one of the driving motives. The efforts made by the theists, not to preach their particular magical beliefs but to legislate them. In general, the hatred, bigotry and intolerance which is inherent in religious belief. That's why.

Do I really care what they believe? No, as long as they keep it to themselves. Something they cannot and will not do.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(June 27, 2014 at 1:47 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:

I'll tell you what...

Let's meet on the roof of the World Trade Center and you try to convince me that it is not worth fighting against religion, and I'll try to convince you that it is...

...oh wait... Thinking

Not to mention;

Religious persecution of gays and preventing them from having equal rights.

Religious based pseudoscience taught in public schools.

Which burnings by Christians in Africa.

The impeding of scientific advancement based on religious beliefs (stem cell research).

Haha, I don't think it's a waste of time to fight religion. I think it's a worthy cause, as religion has caused a lot of fucked up shit to happen, but I don't fight it mostly because I'm too lazy :p
I don't think I said it was a waste of time, but if I did I'll change that later tonight when I get home.
Can you name one religion in all of history that's been really true?
(June 27, 2014 at 7:33 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: Can you name one religion in all of history that's been really true?

Nope, they're all bullshit.
I see the history and current events of religion holding down progress and equality. Despite Jesus preaching loving thy neighbor, he also preached to be more loyal to him than anyone else. The bible has been used to justify genocide, and preventing social progress.

While christians have done many good things, I don't think their christianity really mattered, so much as having good upbringing and opportunities. In practice, religion seems to have hindered far more than it helped.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(June 27, 2014 at 12:57 pm)Broseph Ballin Wrote: For those of you who are anti-theists, or anti-religion, what lead you to hold your views?

9/11

Opened my eyes to the insidious danger that is the theistic way of thinking.

Once you believe in absurdities, atrocities might not be too far behind.

Now, I refuse to cow-tow to the Christian hegemony rampant in the US. Fuck 'em all. Fuck 'em all to hell!

That, and I'm a sadist. Love to pull the wings off the theist flies.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  History: The Iniquitous Anti-Christian French Revolution. Nishant Xavier 27 2097 August 6, 2023 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Question for Theists Bucky Ball 26 1576 July 18, 2023 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 1933 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 18032 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3434 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Question to ex-theists purplepurpose 13 1587 October 4, 2018 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Natachan
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1095 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Anti-Theism Haipule 134 24209 December 20, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Haipule
Tongue Let's see some Atheist or Anti Religion Memes Spooky 317 157478 July 10, 2017 at 5:00 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  My anti-theistic perspective Foxaèr 122 15098 February 4, 2016 at 1:03 am
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky