Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism and religious ceremonies/education
Atheism and religious ceremonies/education
Tomorrow I'm having a baptism of my 2 year old little brother as a part of the catholic church (he is 19 years younger than me), my question being, how should an atheist behave in such ceremonies? If the priest asks me about my 'faith', should I be straightforward or lie about it to avoid compromising the ceremonial? I already refused to be my little brother's godfather because I had to do my religious education, something my parents never put me into (despite being catholic they never liked churches and priests)

My second question is, should I allow my family to give religious education in the future (in a few years ahead) to my little brother? I wouldn't mind if it was given by my mother, since the same happened to me and she didn't teach me to fear hell and the indoctrination basically didn't exist. But should I allow official religious church education? I'm not very sure about those but I'm sure if I opposed my mother would understand and avoid giving such education. What are your views on this?

I hope this is supposed to be in the Christianity forums since it's related to catholicism
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

RE: Atheism and religious ceremonies/education
(June 28, 2014 at 9:42 am)blackout94 Wrote: Tomorrow I'm having a baptism of my 2 year old little brother as a part of the catholic church (he is 19 years younger than me), my question being, how should an atheist behave in such ceremonies? If the priest asks me about my 'faith', should I be straightforward or lie about it to avoid compromising the ceremonial? I already refused to be my little brother's godfather because I had to do my religious education, something my parents never put me into (despite being catholic they never liked churches and priests)

My second question is, should I allow my family to give religious education in the future (in a few years ahead) to my little brother? I wouldn't mind if it was given by my mother, since the same happened to me and she didn't teach me to fear hell and the indoctrination basically didn't exist. But should I allow official religious church education? I'm not very sure about those but I'm sure if I opposed my mother would understand and avoid giving such education. What are your views on this?

I hope this is supposed to be in the Christianity forums since it's related to catholicism

Beginning at the end, I don't think you have the right to allow or not allow your brother to be given religious instruction. You are not his guardian.

How to behave at religious ceremonies? Well, if it's family and I'm invited, or the wedding or funeral of a friend I attend. I'm quiet during the ceremony. I don't participate in the religious portions. I don't pretend to pray. I don't kneel. But I don't make a show of this either.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
As above, I've been to a few religious ceremonies (weddings, funerals, one or two christenings) and I don't participate in any of the religious parts such as praying, singing or kneeling etc.

However I don't make a big show of it. Indeed, when I look around, more often than not I'm one of many who are also not participating.

Silly traditionalism isn't so big over here in the UK anymore, thankfully.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(June 29, 2014 at 4:04 pm)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: As above, I've been to a few religious ceremonies (weddings, funerals, one or two christenings) and I don't participate in any of the religious parts such as praying, singing or kneeling etc.

However I don't make a big show of it. Indeed, when I look around, more often than not I'm one of many who are also not participating.

Well in Portugal it's the same, it's mainly a tradition to baptize but few people take it too seriously. Thanks for answering, the ceremony went fine even though it was a pain in the ass to listen to the priest for over an hour. After attending this ritual, I came to the conclusion that I won't baptize my kids (I still don't have them, but in the future) until they have enough maturity to decide.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

I'll tell you guys a funny one.
My sister (Aussie born to Greeks like myself), married an Aussie Aussie much to the disgust from mum and dad.
As a favour and to keep mum and dad happy, my sister and her husband agreed to have their first child baptised in a Greek orthodox church. Neither are religious so what harm done?

Dad was happy to pay for the service.
Much to his disgust, the Greek priest didn't want them in "his" church as Nicholas, (sister's husband) is not Greek orthodox. Anyway, all worked out well when dad flashed an extra few hundred bucks his way.

I bet the priest meant well but the devil made him do it! Hehe
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Thinking
Wonder if the CofE would be persuaded to declare in favour of / perform homosexual marriages if an extra financial incentive were offered...
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
(June 29, 2014 at 8:25 pm)blackout94 Wrote:
(June 29, 2014 at 4:04 pm)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: As above, I've been to a few religious ceremonies (weddings, funerals, one or two christenings) and I don't participate in any of the religious parts such as praying, singing or kneeling etc.

Well in Portugal it's the same, it's mainly a tradition to baptize but few people take it too seriously. Thanks for answering, the ceremony went fine even though it was a pain in the ass to listen to the priest for over an hour. After attending this ritual, I came to the conclusion that I won't baptize my kids (I still don't have them, but in the future) until they have enough maturity to decide.
Wait, Wait... Another tuga?! Welcome aboard!! Big Grin

You're a brother, not the star of the show, so your opinion is not even asked. Don't worry.... oh, I guess you've gone through it, by now. How did it go?
(June 30, 2014 at 10:01 am)pocaracas Wrote:
(June 29, 2014 at 8:25 pm)blackout94 Wrote: Well in Portugal it's the same, it's mainly a tradition to baptize but few people take it too seriously. Thanks for answering, the ceremony went fine even though it was a pain in the ass to listen to the priest for over an hour. After attending this ritual, I came to the conclusion that I won't baptize my kids (I still don't have them, but in the future) until they have enough maturity to decide.
Wait, Wait... Another tuga?! Welcome aboard!! Big Grin

You're a brother, not the star of the show, so your opinion is not even asked. Don't worry.... oh, I guess you've gone through it, by now. How did it go?

Who is portuguese in the forum? I've already memorized some of the users names, at least the ones who comment and reply more. It went great, the priest must be the most annoying overall person I've met, I've never seen such a long baptizing ceremony, at least mine and my sisters' where short and efficient, no bureaucracies, I didn't pray or repeat holy words, I stayed silent and showed no disrespect, my little brother cried a lot though, I feel his pain

HEHE! Kids cry at these things... it's a bit stupid to do it to them, but heck... priests do it, parents ask that of priests...and parents ask that because they think the grand parents would like that.

Anyway, who's portuguese in here?: me, duh!!
Also LastPoet (one of the guys with a green username)... He says there's another one of us around, but I don't know who it is... Must be someone who doesn't come around very often.
(June 30, 2014 at 10:26 am)pocaracas Wrote: HEHE! Kids cry at these things... it's a bit stupid to do it to them, but heck... priests do it, parents ask that of priests...and parents ask that because they think the grand parents would like that.

Anyway, who's portuguese in here?: me, duh!!
Also LastPoet (one of the guys with a green username)... He says there's another one of us around, but I don't know who it is... Must be someone who doesn't come around very often.

In my case it's mostly a traditional ritual but I don't have any grandparents to approve it. Well it's nice to see I'm not the only one, I thought this forum was mainly composed by americans and british Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rowan williams warns of downgrading of religious education. downbeatplumb 18 7273 April 13, 2012 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  BJU -- Education in Hell Cinjin 36 27007 August 11, 2011 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Ethics Classes vs Christian Education Joe Bloe 9 2611 April 19, 2010 at 4:31 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko