Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Working Floating Schedules
Working Floating Schedules
So currently I am working for a radiology company routing images to doctors and nurses and getting reports. The pay is okay at $13/hr but it's not exactly the field I really want to be in. I've been seeking out jobs more in the electronics / technical side of things and managed to get a call from Sprint for a phone technician position (the guy that fixes stuff lol). The pay is around the same at $13.35/hr + commission on accessory sales and I would probably like the job a little more... but I've come to a conclusion that has pushed me to decline this offer.

Floating schedules. Not just floating days, but floating hours as well and all subject to change on a weekly to bi-weekly basis. Days are not off side by side and are almost always split on random days of the week. In my eyes, a schedule like this is a nightmare! I haven't worked a schedule like that since I was a teen.

This job is a technician job with retail hours! You could pay me up to $16-$17/hr and I would still decline. My static M-F job is far more important to me. How would I even begin to make plans doing, well, much of anything?

Anybody here work constantly changing schedules? Would you take a floating schedule for a small pay bump? Would you prefer a static schedule?
RE: Working Floating Schedules
Some people don't have much trouble changing shifts. In my case, when I was much younger, like 26, I had to change shift 5 times in 6 weeks and I was a total zombie. It's 30 years later and I still don't ever want to do it again. Even the spring ahead and fall back for day light savings time bothers me.

Most people don't seem to mint the DST thing, but either way it throws me off for a week.

How do things like that affect you?

(I never thought when I was younger I would be someone that ever takes a nap after lunch, but I do at least once a week. Hell to get old!)
My days off are pre planned but the day off changes week by week.

Like one week itll be tuesday and saturday off, next week the weekend will be off.

Luckily the hours are always evening hours which is good for my sleep pattern but crap for my free time.

I used to work very early mornings then be out in time to go to the gym and easily have time for a band practice any day of the week.

I think it would probably kill me to switch from early mornings to late evenings week by week which is what some people have to do in my work.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I used to work in a restaurant with floating schedules. Each week we had to look at the board to see which days we were working. Probably the biggest nitpick I had about the job.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

My sis gets different days off the week as the months go by and she loves it. She hates changing her hours as much as I do.

Weeks she has 1 or 2 weekend days off she plans activities with extended family members, weeks she is off on a weekday are great too, she loves shopping when the stores are less busy than they are on weekends. Handy when repair men have to come to her house and fix things, she can be there to unlock and make sure they aren't going though he underwear drawer.
I work in logistics so my schedule is determined by the amount of freight we get. 2 weeks ago I worked a 12 hour week, followed by 50 hours last week. I never know when I'm getting off work, and sometimes I drive to work only to be told there's no work that day.

It's a pain in the ass, but I still prefer it to a rotating shift where I would have to work days, afternoons, and midnights in turn.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Xmas working... LastPoet 10 670 December 26, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The morality of the working class. Brian37 4 1759 October 10, 2012 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Working on social skills this summer zentor 27 9771 June 2, 2012 at 8:16 am
Last Post: Epimethean
  Working on cars Epimethean 6 1384 July 4, 2011 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Epimethean