Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
SCOTUS Rules In Favor Of Hobby Lobby
SCOTUS Rules In Favor Of Hobby Lobby
In a 5-4 decision the Supreme Court ruled in favor of Hobby Lobby's religious convictions against providing abortion and contraceptives as mandated by obamacare....

Quote:It's a historic day in Washington as the Supreme Court sided with a challenge to the ObamaCare mandate on businesses covering contraceptives for women. The mandate was challenged by Hobby Lobby, which objected on religious grounds.

Looks like we won't be paying for Sandra Fluke's contraceptives after all....BHA HA HA HA!!!!!

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/06/30/bre...-challenge
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
RE: SCOTUS Rules In Favor Of Hobby Lobby
Yes, shitball. You nazis are having a good day.
(June 30, 2014 at 2:31 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Yes, shitball. You nazis are having a good day.

As opposed to you nazis who are having a shitty day because you were unsuccessful in trampling over the constitutional right to religious freedom....HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!! That's right! In your face!!!!!! ROFLOL

Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
(June 30, 2014 at 2:28 pm)A Theist Wrote: In a 5-4 decision the Supreme Court ruled in favor of Hobby Lobby's religious convictions against providing abortion and contraceptives as mandated by obamacare....

Quote:It's a historic day in Washington as the Supreme Court sided with a challenge to the ObamaCare mandate on businesses covering contraceptives for women. The mandate was challenged by Hobby Lobby, which objected on religious grounds.

Looks like we won't be paying for Sandra Fluke's contraceptives after all....BHA HA HA HA!!!!!

This is called objection of conscience, it can be done for religious, moral, ethical or other personal reasons. Put it simply, if a doctor is against abortion, you can't force him to practice such conduct. This is why some countries have abortion specialized clinics, the only doctors that work there are the ones who agree. In my country it works this way. I completely support this as an atheist, if I didn't want to sell abortion pills because I'm ethically against it, or perform euthanasia on a patient because I'm ethically against it, the state shouldn't force me to do this, it's a basic rule in a civilized state.

HOWEVER, I'm not sure about the legality considering we are talking merely about contraceptives and not about something like abortion, euthanasia or going to a war, topics that bring a lot more ethical issues than contraception. It is a though matter, I'll think about objection of conscience regarding contraceptives and later I'll tell you my opinion, I've done dozes of debates in law school regarding this problems and something like this never arose.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(June 30, 2014 at 2:28 pm)A Theist Wrote: Looks like we won't be paying for Sandra Fluke's contraceptives after all....BHA HA HA HA!!!!!

Ah, it's that Christian love and kindness coming out huh?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Never really understood why people were against contraceptives, aside perhaps the oppression of women and girls to take control of their reproductive processes?

It is illogical to prevent contraceptives from being made available yet expect a population to reduce unwanted pregnancies.

If one is against abortion, then surely contraceptives are the way forward?

The US is such a confusing entity.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(June 30, 2014 at 4:07 pm)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: Never really understood why people were against contraceptives, aside perhaps the oppression of women and girls to take control of their reproductive processes?

It is illogical to prevent contraceptives from being made available yet expect a population to reduce unwanted pregnancies.

If one is against abortion, then surely contraceptives are the way forward?

The US is such a confusing entity.

I don't ethically support abortion but I understand it's necessity. Why the hell are people against something that by it's very nature prevents abortion? I cannot understand this kind of mentality.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(June 30, 2014 at 4:12 pm)blackout94 Wrote: I don't ethically support abortion but I understand it's necessity. Why the hell are people against something that by it's very nature prevents abortion? I cannot understand this kind of mentality.

Because in the case of the morning-after pill and IUDs, some people consider them to be equivalent to abortion (in that they prevent a fertilized egg [which they consider to be a person] from implanting in the uterine wall).
(June 30, 2014 at 2:42 pm)A Theist Wrote: As opposed to you nazis who are having a shitty day because you were unsuccessful in trampling over the constitutional right to religious freedom....HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!! That's right! In your face!!!!!! ROFLOL

Yes, congratulations, genius: now there's an official legal precedent set that the religious freedoms of a corporation trump those of the individual employees therein. Yet more power has been given to big businesses to dictate terms, and any employee who has religious convictions in disagreement can just go fuck themselves, right?

One wonders whether you'll be crowing just the same when the next case goes to court and it's christians losing out on stuff they want because of the religious convictions of their, say, muslim employers. Or hey, maybe Hobby Lobby's religious convictions will start to become more and more selective- not to mention cheaper for them- at the expense of their workers, now that we know that fingering a cross is the best way to get special case exemptions to stuff.

Are you really so fucking stupid that you heard the word "religion" mentioned in this conversation and just leapt at the goddamn dog whistle?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(June 30, 2014 at 2:50 pm)Jenny A Wrote:
(June 30, 2014 at 2:28 pm)A Theist Wrote: Looks like we won't be paying for Sandra Fluke's contraceptives after all....BHA HA HA HA!!!!!

Ah, it's that Christian love and kindness coming out huh?

Amen! Yes indeed. Love you Sister Jenny.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HIV drug mandate violates religious freedom, judge rules zebo-the-fat 6 982 September 9, 2022 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Another SCOTUS ruling that is also very scary. Brian37 19 1461 June 27, 2022 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
Thumbs Up Must see SCOTUS cases. onlinebiker 24 1178 October 12, 2021 at 1:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The a holes did it, they seated Amy as SCOTUS Brian37 20 984 October 27, 2020 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Split decision by SCOTUS on Bunkerboy's taxes. Brian37 15 617 July 10, 2020 at 5:41 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  GOP now wants civility in scotus hearing? Brian37 15 1321 September 7, 2018 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  SCOTUS Nom made dangerous suggestion. Brian37 33 3716 July 11, 2018 at 1:37 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Federal Judge rules "No fundamental right to literacy" Cecelia 69 8494 July 2, 2018 at 10:52 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  BREAKING: SCOTUS Upholds Trump Travel Ban A Theist 18 2587 June 27, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Supreme Court Rules In Favor Of Colorado Baker A Theist 371 45503 June 14, 2018 at 2:41 am
Last Post: robvalue