Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 4:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
He who is a friend of the world is an enemy of mine?
He who is a friend of the world is an enemy of mine?
Fear again?

Can we please list all the passages that involve fear of some sort?
RE: He who is a friend of the world is an enemy of mine?
Sounds like a good project for you. Please get started.
Just rip out 19 pages and call it a day.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
1 2 3 - not it.
[Image: Evolution.png]

This what you're looking for?

Luke: I won't fail you. I'm not afraid.
Yoda: You will be. You... will... be.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself". - FDR

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." - Plato

"Always do what you are afraid to do." - Emerson

"We fear things in proportion to our ignorance of them." - C.N. Bovee

"There are very few monsters who warrant the fear we have of them." - Andre Gide

"I fear the Greeks, even when they bring gifts." - Virgil

"A fearful man is always hearing things." - Sophocles

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time." - Twain
(July 1, 2014 at 9:17 pm)clergyman Wrote: Fear again?

You'd have to actually read it to do that.
(July 2, 2014 at 9:30 am)alpha male Wrote:
(July 1, 2014 at 9:17 pm)clergyman Wrote: Fear again?

You'd have to actually read it to do that.

Actually reading The Bible is one of the leading causes of atheism.

That said, just the little concordance in the back of my NIV lists about a column of verses dealing with fear. About two-thirds of them are about fearing god (a good thing apparently) and the other third are about not fearing other things because god is with you.

I'm not quite sure what the point of quoting them would be. Perhaps the OP could clarify?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
Master Yoda

There is nothing but fear reflected in your sword. When you dodge, you're afraid of getting killed. When you attack, you're afraid of killing someone. Even when you try to protect someone, you're afraid of letting them die. Yes, your sword speaks to me only of absurd fear. What's necessary in a fight isn't fear. Nothing can be born of that. When you dodge, "I won't let them cut me." When you protect someone, "I won't let them die." When you attack, "I will kill them."
Kisuke Urahara

"How shall I rid myself of fear?"

"How can you rid yourself of what you cling to?"

"You mean I actually cling to my fears? I cannot agree to that."

"Consider what your fear protects you from and you will agree! And you will see your folly."
Anthony de Mello

He who seeks to save humanity without understanding those who think different of him what it's really trying to save is his own ego.
Zidneya
"Jesus said to his disciples: 'Things that cause people to stumble are bound to come, but woe to anyone through whom they come. It would be better for them to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around their neck than to cause one of these little ones to stumble.'" - Luke 17:1-2
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(July 2, 2014 at 9:40 am)Jenny A Wrote: Actually reading The Bible is one of the leading causes of atheism.
Seems to me that youtube clips and websites which selectively quote the Bible are leading causes of atheism.

Quote:That said, just the little concordance in the back of my NIV lists about a column of verses dealing with fear. About two-thirds of them are about fearing god (a good thing apparently) and the other third are about not fearing other things because god is with you.

I'm not quite sure what the point of quoting them would be. Perhaps the OP could clarify?
That would be helpful, although the implication seems to me to be that being motivated by fear is a bad thing. Personally I disagree with that. Most mornings I'm motivated to go to work more by fear of homelessness than out of ambition or love of the work I do. My family has a roof over their heads either way.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Support for a friend EllHarris412 52 5955 August 13, 2016 at 6:15 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Need Advice w/ Christian Friend DeadChannel 23 5279 August 8, 2015 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  Jesus is my friend Fidel_Castronaut 22 5816 July 28, 2015 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  A Dear Friend Falls Victim to the Virus FallentoReason 6 2984 July 25, 2013 at 2:55 am
Last Post: FallentoReason
  God his own Enemy Dionysius 63 24376 July 11, 2013 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  God is the great spirit friend jstrodel 320 100668 March 29, 2013 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I want to help my friend, but is it too late? Milennin 24 9054 January 10, 2012 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: JudgeDracoAmunRa
  A delusional blog to a make believe enemy reverendjeremiah 25 7913 May 31, 2011 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Napoléon