Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Surprise Here
No Surprise Here
Quote:Proud to be an American? You’re probably not a true liberal.

New PEW Research poll finds that just 40% of libs say they're proud to be an American compared to 72% of Conservatives who are proud to be an American.

Quote:Michelle Obama took some heat in 2008 for saying that, "for the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country..."

As it turns out, that sentiment isn't all that unusual on the far left of American politics. According to a new Pew Research Center study, only 40 percent of consistently liberal Americans say they often feel proud to be Americans.

The other 60 percent say that doesn't describe them.....

By contrast, more than seven in 10 "steadfast conservatives" and eight in 10 "business conservatives" say they are generally proud to be Americans.

The poll also shows many liberals don't liken themselves to your average American. Just 51 percent say they feel as though they are "typical Americans" -- as compared to three-quarters of conservatives and at least two-thirds of all the other groups.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-...e-liberal/
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
RE: No Surprise Here
(July 3, 2014 at 8:31 am)A Theist Wrote:
Quote:Proud to be an American? You’re probably not a true liberal.

New PEW Research poll finds that just 40% of libs say they're proud to be an American compared to 72% of Conservatives who are proud to be an American.

Quote:Michelle Obama took some heat in 2008 for saying that, "for the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country..."

As it turns out, that sentiment isn't all that unusual on the far left of American politics. According to a new Pew Research Center study, only 40 percent of consistently liberal Americans say they often feel proud to be Americans.

The other 60 percent say that doesn't describe them.....

By contrast, more than seven in 10 "steadfast conservatives" and eight in 10 "business conservatives" say they are generally proud to be Americans.

The poll also shows many liberals don't liken themselves to your average American. Just 51 percent say they feel as though they are "typical Americans" -- as compared to three-quarters of conservatives and at least two-thirds of all the other groups.

Well left wingers tend to be less worried about their country of origin because no one chooses to be born where they were. Right wingers tend to be more patriotic because they argue everyone should be proud of their roots. I'm not an american, but I prefer the right wing view, patriotism with moderation, not nationalism or ultra conservatism
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Why exactly should I be proud to have been born into an empire of judgemental hypocrites that think they're better than everyone else and butt their stuck up noses where it doesn't belong?

Should I be proud of a bunch of spoiled folk who got their freedom by taking someone else's and slaughtering thousands and thousands of natives to make sure their desires were fulfilled. Or be happy about a few founding old white fathers who only allowed white men that owned property to vote and were all about slavery. Hypocrites.

The fact most schools force kids to say a pledge of allegiance while including a mythological god in the middle of this freaking rant teaches kids at an early age that it is not alright to be anything but proud of your country or you will likely suffer ridicule from others.

This god crap that flows throughout America is retarded. Nothing more to be said there. Wait, actually a book could be written about it. Kick religion to the curb and the hell out of politics and I'll start to take things a bit more seriously. Wait, no. ....majorly bias media also serves no purpose other than creating fear and cult mind sets. It should be banned, for it is a terrorist and creates dangerous fanatics the same way religion does. It should not be allowed.

The War in Iraq was a joke and we all know it. America is still a spoiled brat of a country that practices the "It is my way and if you don't like it then get out, and if you're an ally country you aint no more because you no like us. Burn in hell! Murica! Freedom! And stuff!"

When I can find more things to not be proud of in America, then I can to be proud of in America, I see no reason to go about ranting about how patriotic I feel. I hate 4th of July. When people go around spouting off pride rants they often come across sounding of arrogance, conceit and narcissism, and that in itself is ugly behavior that makes me want to vomit.

Good morning. My coffee says hi.
(July 3, 2014 at 9:10 am)blackout94 Wrote:
(July 3, 2014 at 8:31 am)A Theist Wrote: New PEW Research poll finds that just 40% of libs say they're proud to be an American compared to 72% of Conservatives who are proud to be an American.

Well left wingers tend to be less worried about their country of origin because no one chooses to be born where they were. Right wingers tend to be more patriotic because they argue everyone should be proud of their roots. I'm not an american, but I prefer the right wing view, patriotism with moderation, not nationalism or ultra conservatism

Hmmmm...interesting view point.

(July 3, 2014 at 10:19 am)Elskidor Wrote: Why exactly should I be proud to have been born into an empire of judgemental hypocrites that think they're better than everyone else and butt their stuck up noses where it doesn't belong?

Should I be proud of a bunch of spoiled folk who got their freedom by taking someone else's and slaughtering thousands and thousands of natives to make sure their desires were fulfilled. Or be happy about a few founding old white fathers who only allowed white men that owned property to vote and were all about slavery. Hypocrites.

The fact most schools force kids to say a pledge of allegiance while including a mythological god in the middle of this freaking rant teaches kids at an early age that it is not alright to be anything but proud of your country or you will likely suffer ridicule from others.

This god crap that flows throughout America is retarded. Nothing more to be said there. Wait, actually a book could be written about it. Kick religion to the curb and the hell out of politics and I'll start to take things a bit more seriously. Wait, no. ....majorly bias media also serves no purpose other than creating fear and cult mind sets. It should be banned, for it is a terrorist and creates dangerous fanatics the same way religion does. It should not be allowed.

The War in Iraq was a joke and we all know it. America is still a spoiled brat of a country that practices the "It is my way and if you don't like it then get out, and if you're an ally country you aint no more because you no like us. Burn in hell! Murica! Freedom! And stuff!"

When I can find more things to not be proud of in America, then I can to be proud of in America, I see no reason to go about ranting about how patriotic I feel. I hate 4th of July. When people go around spouting off pride rants they often come across sounding of arrogance, conceit and narcissism, and that in itself is ugly behavior that makes me want to vomit.

Good morning. My coffee says hi.
Well, GTFO of our country then.

Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
Stating that one is not proud of one's country when it is clearly fucked all the way to Timbuktu states to me that the invididual is more concerned for the country than those who ignorantly spout I'm a proud 'murican just because they are all too happy about how fucked everything is.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
A priori patriotism is for the weak minded. If I'm not proud of the way my country is handling its own business, I am not proud of the way we insist on handling everyone else's business, I am not proud that we currently have the most bullshit congress that ever existed, and not proud of the way we treat our own citizens, why should I be proud to be an American? I love my country, but I don't think it's honorable or even a good thing to just de facto be proud to be an American. It's even more deplorable to gloat over the fact that conservatives are more likely to say they are proud of this failing country. It is yet more detestable to say if you're not proud of the corruption and petty partisanship that seems to define this country, then GTFO.

When America starts doing things that are worthy of pride and not shooting itself in the foot on nearly every front, then I'll sing from the rooftops. We are quickly sliding towards the opposite.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(July 3, 2014 at 10:28 am)Kitanetos Wrote: Stating that one is not proud of one's country when it is clearly fucked all the way to Timbuktu states to me that the invididual is more concerned for the country than those who ignorantly spout I'm a proud 'murican just because they are all too happy about how fucked everything is.

Nothing about that previous post showed any kind of concern for the country. His whole statement obviously implied that he hated this country and that he hated being here. So, he can leave, and good riddance.

You can't make things better if you're incapable of acknowledging there are problems that need to be worked on. Americans should always strive to be making their country one of which they can be more proud.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Why don't you tell us what you are so fucking proud of, Adolf.
(July 3, 2014 at 12:16 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Why don't you tell us what you are so fucking proud of, Adolf.

Yay, jingoism!
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tumblr Trouble - no surprise Foxaèr 1 247 May 8, 2019 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Is this a surprise to anyone? Selfishness and Altruism and Politics. Angrboda 2 384 December 12, 2018 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What A Surprise Minimalist 22 2111 July 8, 2018 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Oh What A Surprise (Not) Minimalist 0 248 February 26, 2018 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Oh, Surprise, Surprise. The WLB Is Full Of Shit Minimalist 2 837 February 13, 2018 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Surprise Surprise Surprise! The Fix Was In! A Theist 76 16021 November 13, 2017 at 5:29 am
Last Post: A Theist
  What A Surprise.. The WLB Had No Plan For Afghanistan Minimalist 12 2364 August 5, 2017 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist