Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goldielocks Disappointment
Goldielocks Disappointment
As it turns out, what was thought to have been a fascinating discovery of two large Earth-like planets in the "Goldilocks Zone", with the possibilty of supporting life, doesn't exist, according to recent findings....

http://news.yahoo.com/two-earth-planets-...32207.html

Quote:"These two Goldilocks planets that people have been talking about, unfortunately, based on our research are not real," said co-author Suvrath Mahadevan, assistant professor in the department of astronomy and astrophysics.

"What was previously thought to be a planetary signal was actually caused by stellar activity," he told AFP.
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
RE: Goldielocks Disappointment
Ah well, we'll have to look for cosmic chatroom partners elsewhere eh?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 5, 2014 at 10:50 am)Rhythm Wrote: Ah well, we'll have to look for cosmic chatroom partners elsewhere eh?

In the meantime, we still have the internet though.
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
I hate it when this happens. Angry

I wish they wouldn't announce its existence if its not confirmed or is still being disputed. Same nonsense happened with Gliese 667 C's supposed 7 planetary system, when there was actually a failure to account for any correlated noise within the data.
The nature of a mistake, is that you rarely realize that it's been made. If you realized it - it wouldn't be a mistake, eh? I think that it;s great when we're forced to correct ourselves. At least we know the system is still working.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Still, they have preliminary stats on many worlds, and I'm finding amazement in how many ways things can go down a path that makes a planet that might be beautifully weird but totally unsuitable for colonization.

If we send ships out someday for that purpose, the destination stellar systems will have to be extremely carefully vetted.
The wonderful thing about science and secularism is that it is always willing to admit its mistakes, as opposed to its lying counterpart referred to as religion.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(July 5, 2014 at 1:05 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: If we send ships out someday for that purpose, the destination stellar systems will have to be extremely carefully vetted.
Meh, if we send em out, I think we'd get more mileage out of sending them places that -aren't- like earth. We already have a suitable lab for figuring out what things are like on a planet like our own. Let's go chip away at some of the exotic shit. Finding more earths is like building additions to a house. You don't create that headache till you need it. Truth be told, we have a "summer house" here in our solar system already. It's just a measure of how bad we want it.
Vast tracts of earth are uninhabitable; the sea floor, deserts, glaciers, cliffs, mountain tops swamps, estuaries and are likely to remain so for a very long time.

Going to all the bother of launching an interstellar colonization effort without a strong guarantee of success would not happen. Dyson etal envisioned some designs capable of transporting a viable colony of 50,000 to a nearby star. The construction of such a vehicle might take 400 years (subsequent craft would be built much faster) and without a strong assurance it was going to work, the investment would not be made.

Your idea has merit if/when we have colonies on Mercury, asteroids, outer gas giant moons, and KBOs, but until they are all full, what is the motivation for the expense of finding and colonizing other solar systems of them ??
Weighed against my own opinions I'll say this. If we reduce the calculus of the merits of exploration and colonization to the metrics of a probe, a machine...we'll have lost sight of what exploration and colonization have meant to us, as a species - beyond the lure of a patch of dirt to put a building on. We have been known to set sail for things that may not be there - to our eternal credit.

(with regards to investements - a society capable of creating such a craft -and considering using it...best case scenario still includes absolute loss of the crew and the ship...... would probably stare at you blankly when you talked about "the investment" (and it's relative worth)- just something to muse over)