Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 7:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books that brought you to tears
Books that brought you to tears
I'm almost finished with my second book by Hermann Hesse, Narcissus and Goldmund, and like the first book I read by him, Siddhartha, there are moments when his prose literally brings me to tears. He has a way of describing life in his characters' journeys that evoke a nostalgic sense of joy, discovery, pain, and loss. I'd highly recommend him. Another book that comes to mind is Orwell's 1984. What books played on your heart strings?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: Books that brought you to tears
Randy Shilts book on the early years of the AIDS crisis; And the Band Played On.

Cleve Jones book about the NAMES Project Quilt.
I dropped a couple tears for Eddie in Stephen King's "It" (but not in the horribly bad mini-series).

I blubbered like a baby when Dobby was killed in "The Deathly Hallows." Again when the Weasly boy got it. I also cried at Dumbledore's passing, but not as much as I was expecting it.

I don't just read books. I climb right inside and experience them. In a sense, I make the characters my friends, so I guess I should expect to be emotional when bad things happen to them. I sometimes do the same thing with particularly good movies and even, sometimes, TV shows. When Sarah Manning's daughter (BBC America's Orphan Black) is hit by a car, all I could no is repeat no,no,no,no,no,no,no over and over while tears streamed down my cheeks. I spent the second half of "How to Train Your Dragon" (both of them) scrubbing my cheeks, not because they are terribly sad but because they are (at least to me) emotionally powerful films.

I've cried over fictional characters too many times to count, including Darth Vader's funeral pyre and Captain Kirk's death in that horribly bad "Next Generation" film. Hell, I cried the first time I saw the Enterprise getting shot to shit in "Star Trek II" and if I'm drunk while watching it, I still do. I probably get wayyyyyy to emotionally invested in my fiction. Big Grin
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
There are so, so many good books:

I read most of Hermann Hesse during college. I recommend The Glass Bead Game and Steppenwolf next.

Just about anything by A.S. Byatt but The Virgin in the Bower and the rest of that series (two very intellectual girls in a militantly atheist family in the late 50s and sixties, Oxford, sex, religion) are very fine as are the novellas in Angels and Insects (Victorian and psycosexual) , and Possession about academic life, mysteries, Victorian sensibilities, mystery and modern romance.

If you like black humor and tear jerkers John Green's The Fault in Our Stars is the best antidote to bad cancer novels I've every read.

George Elliot was a closet atheist and it comes out beautifully in Middlemarche.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
All three of Khaled Hosseini's books have brought me to tears.

As far as prose being moving, Michael Chabon's Wonderboys, Johnathan Franzen's Freedom, and literally anything John Steinbeck ever wrote.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
My college math text.
Smile
(July 7, 2014 at 2:00 am)Minimalist Wrote: My college math text.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Almost any author with talent can make me cry.I've read a lot of books, some of them were terrible, but many of those that were worth reading made me cry.
Of course almost everything makes me cry, including many movies, especially musicals.
Notable books that really got to me includes Game of Thrones, books 6 and seven of Harry Potter, Swansong, Childhoods End by Arthur C Clarke, and a less well known book titled Brightness Falls from the Air.

As a side note, Les Miserables almost caused me to "ugly cry" in the theater.

Isn't it strange how much some of us enjoy engaging in novels that move us to tears.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
I forgot to add Irvin Yalom, the "existential psychologist," to the list. His books Love's Executioner and Staring At The Sun had some pretty emotional moments for me.

Now that I just finished Narcissus and Goldmund, I have to admit, the tears came hard. Crying over a book is always a good experience for me though, it makes me feel as though I've somehow grown just slightly in connecting with an author that way.

(July 7, 2014 at 1:38 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: All three of Khaled Hosseini's books have brought me to tears.

As far as prose being moving, Michael Chabon's Wonderboys, Johnathan Franzen's Freedom, and literally anything John Steinbeck ever wrote.

From Steinbeck I've read Travels With Charlie, The Pearl, and Of Mice and Men, the latter of which I think may have moistened me up a bit. I don't remember the others moving me to that extent but I do recall Travels evoking tons of nostalgic emotions. That's probably my favorite of the three Steinbeck I've read.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Patterson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your favourite books/author The Valkyrie 50 2729 April 28, 2021 at 11:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The Most Awful Books Ever The Architect Of Fate 18 1411 June 19, 2020 at 3:45 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  atheism books recommendations WolfsChild 8 982 May 24, 2019 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Books Icy 55 4354 November 27, 2018 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  20 books considered the worst Foxaèr 29 4511 July 21, 2018 at 3:05 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  Let's Talk About Books Shell B 65 7626 January 22, 2018 at 1:12 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question for those who read Terry Brooks' Sword of Shannara books Foxaèr 2 756 October 12, 2017 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  David Bowie's 100 Favourite books: How many have you read? Rev. Rye 27 2560 October 22, 2016 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  This girl brought tears to my eyes Foxaèr 23 2600 June 21, 2016 at 8:34 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Dan Brown Books. Cecelia 51 4766 September 1, 2015 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Alex K