Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mutations - The Basis For Evolution?
Mutations - The Basis For Evolution?
Steven Stanley called mutations "the raw materials" for evolution. Geneticist Peo Koller said they "are necessary for evolutionary progress." Robert Jastrow stressed the importance of "a slow accumulation of favorable mutations." Carl Sagan said: "Mutations - sudden changes in heredity - breed true. They provide the raw material of evolution. The environment selects those few mutations that enhance survival, resulting in a series of slow transformations of one lifeform into another, the origin of new species."

The Punctuated Equilibrium

In Science Digest John Gliedman stated: "Evolutionary revisionists believe mutations in key regulatory genes may be just the genetic jackhammers their quantum-leap theory requires." But British zoologist Colin Patterson observed: "Speculation is free. We know nothing about these regulatory master genes."

Mutations are thought to occur in the normal process of cell reproduction, if I am not mistaken, but experiments have shown that they also can be caused by external agents such as radiation and chemicals. And how often do they happen? The reproduction of genetic material in the cell is remarkably consistent. Relatively speaking, considering the number of cells that divide in a living thing, mutations do not occur very often. As the Encyclopedia Americana commented, the reproducing "of the DNA chains composing a gene is remarkably accurate. Misprints or miscopying are infrequent accidents."

From the perspective of my minimal outdated knowledge, it is generally ... well actually overwhelmingly thought that, as Sagan said: "Most of them are harmful or lethal" and Koller: "The greatest proportion of mutations are deleterious to the individual who carries the mutated gene. It was found in experiments that, for every successful or useful mutation, there are many thousands which are harmful."

From my perspective this would be an indication that evolution could work itself into something better or something worse from the perspective of the human machine.

Contemplating it further I would have to admit that it could possibly be a filtering which would result in the right thing at the right time. Simply speaking.

I think it is possible that both of those statement could be true. One of the things that has always troubled me about such speculation is it's uncertainty.

With the Bible, for me from my studies, it has always been etched in stone, if you like. A problem in my understanding could be investigated, usually a simple excercise.

My understanding is that most mutations are damaging to the organism which seems hard to reconcile with the view that mutation is the source of raw materials for evolution. Indeed, mutants illustrated in biology textbooks are a collection of freaks and monstrosities and mutation seems to be a destructive rather than a constructive process.

As G. Ledyard Stebbins observed: "After a greater or lesser number of generations the mutants are eliminated."

This could indicate to me that mutations are useless - harmful. Or that they are as was what I learned in 'school,' the basis for evolution. In that they are eliminated.

The problem I have with that is that if they are eliminated why would they have evolved through mutations in the first place? I could think along the lines that they need to be eliminated. Survival of the fittest is even more minimal and outdated than my thinking, but these accidents would not have occurred in the first place under that premise.

Key word, accident.

An accident is marked, noted ... logged. Studied. It is what is going on. What we see. No conclusion needs be formulated before its time and nothing need be added.

In his book The Wellsprings of Life, science writer Isaac Asimov wrote: "Most mutations are for the worse . . . . In the long run, to be sure, mutations make the course of evolution move onward and upward."

Geneticist Dobzhansky once said: "An accident, a random change, in any delicate mechanism can hardly be expected to improve it. Poking a stick into the machinery of one's watch or one's radio set will seldom make it work better."

If, sometimes, a swift kick to an old TV jarred the wires enough to set it straight, then even a monkey could have come to such a necessary conclusion. Just by beating hell out of it.

The trouble, in the end that I have with mutations is this. If evolution is change and mutations are the basis of it then why is it that mutations can not produce anything new?

The World Book Encyclopedia: "A plant in a dry area might have a mutant gene that causes it to grow larger and stronger roots. The plant would have a better chance of survival than others of its species because its roots could absorb more water."

But ... it couldn't produce anything new ... it changed but that was it's demise.

Here I see the flaw of the basis of evolution. It provides a brief window of speculation and study but beyond that it is a stagnant pool. Evolution could only wind itself out in a series of mishaps. Mishapen accidents leading nowhere.

Drosophila Melanogaster

Dobzhansky: "The clear-cut mutants of Drosophila, with which so much of the classical research in genetics was done, are almost without exception inferior to wild-type flies in viability, fertility, longevity."

DNA has a remarkable ability to repair genetic damage to itself. The organism it is coded for thus is preserved. Scientific American relates how "the life of every organism and its continuity from generation to generation" are preserved "by enzymes that continually repair . . . . In particular, significant damage to DNA molecules can induce an emergency response in which increased quantities of the repair enzymes are synthesized."

Mutations are increasingly science fiction ... of speculations which lead to nowhere.

In the Book Darwin Retried the author relates the following about the respected geneticist, the late Richard Goldschmidt: "After observing mutations in fruit flies for many years, Goldschmidt fell into despair. The changes, he lamented, were so hopelessly micro [small] that if a thousand mutations were combined in one specimen, there would still be no new species."

The Peppered Moth

The International Wildlife Encyclopedia: "This is the most striking evolutionary change ever to have been witnessed by man. After observing that Darwin was plagued by his inability to demonstrate the evolution of even one species, Jastrow, in his book Red Giants and White Dwarfs, added: "Had he known it, an example was at hand which would have provided him with the proof he needed. The case was an exceedingly rare one." The peppered moth.

There were two forms of the peppered moth. A light and a dark. The lighter type blended into the lighter colored trunks of the trees which it hung to. It thrived while the darker didn't. Then, when industrial pollution caused the trunks of those trees to darken the role of survival switched, naturally to the darker.

Consequently the darker variety of peppered moth, which is said to be a mutant, survived better because it was difficult for birds to see them against the soot-darkened trees. The darker variety rapidly became the dominant type. The question was, of course, was the peppered moth evolving into something new? No. The English medical journal On Call referred to using this example to try to prove evolution as "notorious . . . . This is an excellent demonstration of the function of camouflage, but, since it begins and ends with moths and no new species is formed, it is quite irrelevant as evidence for evolution."

The same could be said of some germs which have proved resistant to antibiotics. The hardier germs are still the same, not evolving at all into anything else. Even this is not likely evolution through mutations, but simply a case where some germs were immune to begin with. Some germs having been killed off by drugs and the immune ones multiplied and became dominant. Evolution From Space said: "We doubt, however, that anything more is involved in these cases than the selection of already existing genes."

Insects being immune to poisons - is a case of some poisons being effective and others not, that is being effective on some insects and other insects it is ineffective. The ones having been killed could not develop a resistance since they were dead. Those living were immune from the start, a genetic factor which is selective but not demonstrating change or evolution of the insect itself or in effect any evolution other than some insects were dead and others were not. It doesn't change anything on a minimal scale as evolution would suppose.

Molecules to Living Cells said: "The cells from a carrot or from the liver of a mouse consistently retain their respective tissue and organism identities after countless cycles of reproduction." Symbiosis in Cell Evolution said: "All life . . . reproduces with incredible fidelity." Scientific American said: "Living things are enormously diverse in form, but form is remarkably constant within any given line of descent: pigs remain pigs and oak trees remain oak trees generation after generation."

Rose bushes always blossom into roses, never into camellias. And goats give birth to kids, never to lambs, mutations cannot account for overall evolution - why there are fish, reptiles, birds, and mammals.

Interpretation

Darwin's observations of the finch on the Galapagos Islands operated upon the premise that they were the same type as those which had apparently migrated from South America, but there were curious differences in those which Darwin observed - the shape of their beaks, for example. This, he interpreted as evolution.

The reason that I side with the Bible over evolution, then, as far as mutations go, is a matter of a flawed observation based upon speculation. The finch that Darwin observed is a finch. It will never be anything else. A black person, a red person, a yellow person, a white person, a brown person, a person with a big nose and a person with a small nose or any variation of person or finch never evolves beyond what a finch or a person is.

A moth becomes a butterfly, a child becomes an adult. This is, in effect an evolution ... a change ... but not a change which evolves beyond what the Bible speaks of in the Genesis account.

Questions For Science (Dare I?)

I am not interested in debate, or a proving or disproving of our independent thinking. Doing so would be a futile endeavor producing no results. I have given my thoughts on the matter as documentation of where I stand. From my personal viewpoint all I want to do is try and understand the average understanding of what evolution is to the average skeptic.

My questions for you, having been formed upon my understanding ... and a sort of grappling with what I see from you are as follows.

1.) What examples of mutations would you cite as a matter of concern for the case of evolution and what examples against? In other words where has mutations produced helpful results.

2.) To what degree would you grant the possibility of these examples being based upon a growing speculation? In other words is this speculation fallible, and to what degree is this relevant?

3.) To what degree would you, with what I assume with little knowledge of your personal devotion to Biblical studies is substantial, would you have found a disagreement with the Bible and the theory of evolution? In other words, put simply, do you see a disagreement between the two and if so what is it. If not would you admit there is some disagreement which is unsubstantiated?
RE: Mutations - The Basis For Evolution?
Ok, so a lot of stuff here to consider. Firstly I would like to remark on one of your final statements:
Quote:I am not interested in debate, or a proving or disproving of our independent thinking. Doing so would be a futile endeavor producing no results.
This is a ridiculous thing to say, especially as you have come to a forum of people who accept Evolution and written an entire post that tries to discredit the theory. You will have a debate, because that is what naturally happens when two ways of thinking come together, whether you like it or not. You do not have the choice on whether the debate will emerge, but you do have the choice in whether you wish to engage.

First of all you talked about mutations, and how it is impossible for mutations to be a raw material for Evolution. This is correct in a very narrow view, because for Evolution to take place, natural selection must also be in effect. A mutation occurs, and if that mutation is beneficial (which in some cases it is) for the species in that specific environment, natural selection will favour organisms with that mutation. For example, in a cold place, a mutation in a mammal that causes longer hair will be beneficial. Animals without the mutation will die earlier, and thereby allowing the mutated animal to pass on the genetic information. The offspring all have the information, and they are in turn more likely to survive. Mutations however, are only beneficial in the short term. If the animal migrated to a warmer climate, then the mutation would cease to be useful. Likewise, sometimes bad mutations get passed down, and whilst they might not be useful to the animal at the time, they could become useful at a later date.

As for producing new information, you are simply ill-informed of how mutations come about. Simply put, a strand of DNA is a long chain containing the letters A,C,G,T. No mutations produce anymore characters (so in this way there is no new information), however mutations can change a number of things about the chain. For example, take the DNA code AACGTA. A mutation on this code could delete, insert, inverse, duplicate, or translocate the letters, causing a completely new chain of DNA.

To put it in simple terms, take the English word: Hello. Through a mutation we can change the word to Helloo (duplication of o). This is a new word, and thereby new information. The same kind of thing happens with DNA, only there are 4 letters, not 26. A nice illustration of mutations is shown below.
[Image: Types-of-mutation.png]

As for saying the Peppered moth is not evidence for Evolution, you have redefine the word "Evolution". Evolution is simple a change in DNA. Yes, the Peppered moth is an example of Evolution, because the DNA change that caused the new colour occurred through a mutation. Nobody is claiming this is an example of a new species. However, to say that new species haven't been formed is simple untrue ( http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html ).

Quote:Rose bushes always blossom into roses, never into camellias. And goats give birth to kids, never to lambs, mutations cannot account for overall evolution - why there are fish, reptiles, birds, and mammals.
Nobody claims that roses blossom camellias, or that goats give birth to lambs. This is not Evolution (and in fact this would disprove Evolution if it ever happened). In Evolution, a new species is where mutations have occurred on such a scale that the resultant organisms can no longer breed with their ancestors. In larger animals, this process takes hundreds of thousands of years, because of long gestation periods, and the slow rates of mutations. In bacteria however, you can see Evolution happening in a very small amount of time. For instance, Richard Lenski's e. coli experiment has seen Evolution happen within bacteria over the course of 20 years, culminating in a new species of e. coli that can utilize the citrate in it's environment as a source of energy.

For long term "macro evolution" as it is termed, you only need time. Micro evolution (like the e. coli) + time = Macro Evolution. With enough small changes, and 4 billion years to do it, a single celled organism can evolve into the everything we see today. Luckily, we have a way of looking back through time in the form of fossils. We find many fossils with lots of different characteristics that appear to have formed by ever changing mutations. There are only two possible ways you can explain this:

1) Each species was created fully formed out of nothing, and died for some reason (why we don't have them today). Due to issues of overpopulation and the fight to survive, they can't all have been alive at the same time, so this means that animals must have been constantly popping into existence for countless millennia.

2) The creatures evolved from each other.

#1 cannot possibly explain the reason animals kept spontaneously appearing on the planet, nor why they died out, nor why we do not see animals suddenly appearing today.

#2 explains everything very clearly.

Now onto your questions:

1.) What examples of mutations would you cite as a matter of concern for the case of evolution and what examples against? In other words where has mutations produced helpful results.

- The e. coli experiment is a great example, but also the Croatian lizard experiment ( http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...ution.html ) which was left without human contact due to wars, and resulted in a new gut structure being formed for lizards on the island.

As explained before, all mutations are possible "helpful" mutations, and so you cannot simply say there are examples of mutations "against" evolution, since evolution has no goal in mind. Our appendix is currently thought to be a vestigial part of our anatomy left over from our evolution from ape-like beings. However, some research suggests that it may also help the immune system (although people seem to live fine without them).

2.) To what degree would you grant the possibility of these examples being based upon a growing speculation? In other words is this speculation fallible, and to what degree is this relevant?

- Considering that the evolution in the e. coli and lizard were observed, I highly doubt there is any speculation going on. We saw evolution happen. Yes, there is a small amount of speculation in the "macro evolution", but it is backed up by so much fossil evidence that nobody has been able to come up with an adequate scientific theory that both destroys Evolution and provides a better explanation so far.

3.) To what degree would you, with what I assume with little knowledge of your personal devotion to Biblical studies is substantial, would you have found a disagreement with the Bible and the theory of evolution? In other words, put simply, do you see a disagreement between the two and if so what is it. If not would you admit there is some disagreement which is unsubstantiated?

- I see a disagreement in that if the Bible is the word of God, and this God knows everything, then why is the Bible wrong about how life arose? We see evolution, we know creatures change. We have the fossil record which dates animals back to very different periods of time. Birds did not come about before land animals like the Bible says. The Bible is not the word on anyone other than confused people who were making guesses.
I've been reading a very interesting book called "Artificial Life" by Steven Levy. Basically it is a sort of history of things like genetic programming and cellular automata on computers.

One of the more interesting things that came out of some of the work was that mutation was actually a very minor element, and that crossover could produce as much variation.

Obviously it isn't proof of evolution but lots of the processes discovered were amazingly similar. It even showed that punctuated equilibream arose almost spontaneously, the necessary "genes" would slowly build up in the population (not necessarily within the same organism) and produce a very sudden population wide change.

A very interesting book, well worth a read.
Adrian,

I only meant that I am not really interested in a long drawn out argument on Evolution; I presented my limited understanding for consideration and would be interested in hearing any responses.

There are two subjects which I refuse to participate in at length, out of experience, Namely; Evolution and the Trinity. The dogmatic and emotional attachment these subjects inspire make it impossible to discuss rationally and I just don't think that either one is relevant enough to spend a fraction of time they tend to demand.

Before I get started let me say you did a good job. This is a good post. Some people here who I have had communications with have admited a lack of knowledge in the Bible and there is certainly nothing wrong with that. My own knowledge in science is simarlly lacking along with an interest. If God brought me to the heavens and told me he wanted to show me the void of space and the marvels of the universe and how he created all of it I would politely decline out of a lack of interest. I would much rather walk through the forest and marvel at its beauty.

The point here, is that science and the Bible don't disagree. Religion misrepresented the Bible and persecuted science and knowledge ages ago which resulted in a lack of knowledge of the Bible and a wall between science and the Bible.

(November 2, 2008 at 7:38 pm)Tiberius Wrote: For example, in a cold place, a mutation in a mammal that causes longer hair will be beneficial. Animals without the mutation will die earlier, and thereby allowing the mutated animal to pass on the genetic information. The offspring all have the information, and they are in turn more likely to survive. Mutations however, are only beneficial in the short term. If the animal migrated to a warmer climate, then the mutation would cease to be useful. Likewise, sometimes bad mutations get passed down, and whilst they might not be useful to the animal at the time, they could become useful at a later date.

This would only be a problem from a Biblical perspective if the animal became something else. Which it doesn't.

(November 2, 2008 at 7:38 pm)Tiberius Wrote: As for saying the Peppered moth is not evidence for Evolution, you have redefine the word "Evolution". Evolution is simple a change in DNA. Yes, the Peppered moth is an example of Evolution, because the DNA change that caused the new colour occurred through a mutation. Nobody is claiming this is an example of a new species. However, to say that new species haven't been formed is simple untrue ( http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html ).

But both variations existed and were noted before the industrial pollution changed color of the bark on the trees they clung to. It wasn't a case of mutationat all.

I don't see any of what you present as Evolution as a conflict with the Bible.

Quote:3.) To what degree would you, with what I assume with little knowledge of your personal devotion to Biblical studies is substantial, would you have found a disagreement with the Bible and the theory of evolution? In other words, put simply, do you see a disagreement between the two and if so what is it. If not would you admit there is some disagreement which is unsubstantiated?

- I see a disagreement in that if the Bible is the word of God, and this God knows everything, then why is the Bible wrong about how life arose? We see evolution, we know creatures change. We have the fossil record which dates animals back to very different periods of time. Birds did not come about before land animals like the Bible says. The Bible is not the word on anyone other than confused people who were making guesses.

First of all, the Bible doesn't say that God knows everything. The omniscient philosophy isn't scripturally supported. God didn't know what Adam and Eve, or Cain had done and so he asked them. God didn't know if the complaint of the Sodomites was a valid one so he sent his angels (messengers) to see.

The evolutionary belief that reptilian fins and scales developed into feathered wings is baseless. The fossils of Archaeopteryx (ancient wing) and Archaeornis (ancient bird) showed teeth, a long vertebrated tail fully developed wings and they were completely feathered with feet equipped for perching. No intermediate specimens, exhibiting scales developing into feathers or front legs into wings, exist to give any semblance of support to the evolution theory.
(November 3, 2008 at 1:19 pm)Daystar Wrote: But both variations existed and were noted before the industrial pollution changed color of the bark on the trees they clung to. It wasn't a case of mutationat all.
I never said both variations didn't exist beforehand, but the moth did mutate the new colour, and this turned out to be a beneficial mutation later on. To give a hypothetical, if a brown bear had a mutation that caused it's coat to become white, it would be more visible in it's environment, and so would most likely starve. However if there was a sudden global cooling and snow covered it's habitat, it would be an advantage.
Quote:The evolutionary belief that reptilian fins and scales developed into feathered wings is baseless. The fossils of Archaeopteryx (ancient wing) and Archaeornis (ancient bird) showed teeth, a long vertebrated tail fully developed wings and they were completely feathered with feet equipped for perching. No intermediate specimens, exhibiting scales developing into feathers or front legs into wings, exist to give any semblance of support to the evolution theory.
Well actually...

Archaeopteryx (full explanation, and another.)
Microraptor
Beipiaosaurus
Sinosauropteryx
Sinornithosaurus

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intelligent design type evolution vs naturalism type evolution. Mystic 59 30308 April 6, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is it true that most mutations produce negative effects??... dave4shmups 11 7062 May 11, 2011 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Arcturus