Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it ever right to use a racial slur to make a point?
The author of a pro-obama op-ed used the 'N' word in the title of his article to make a political point in a local New York newspaper...."N***er in the White House"

Quote:Newspaper runs headline referring to President Obama as N-word

News flash for you far-left fringers:...and you know who you are here on AF, no matter the context for which the racist 'N' slur was intended, Blacks still find the word offensive....

Quote:The West View News ran an opposing view column below Collier’s piece by African American columnist Alvin Hall titled, "This headline offends me."

"The decision to use this headline feels misguided to me," Hall writes. "I don’t see how its use benefits anyone, but I do feel all too clearly how it deeply offends me."

Once again, the far-left fringe, as well as some on this very very forum, have proven themselves the closet racists they actually are...

http://news.yahoo.com/newspaper-runs-hea...06434.html
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
RE: Is it ever right to use a racial slur to make a point?

Only with Moabites
@A Theist
-Once again, the far-left fringe, as well as some on this very very forum, have proven themselves the closet racists they actually are...
And tell me, how is using the n-word alone racist? Are you going to judge someone's view on races by their vocabulary?
I understand you're a right wing oriented person, I too am right wing oriented but why bash liberals so often? Both sides have serious prejudices against the other side.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Of all the words this one really needs to die.
So I gather from your responses so far, that no matter the context for which the racial 'N' slur was intended, it's okay to use it anyway even if Blacks do find the term offensive(?) If it's wrong to be racist then you should also agree that it's wrong to throw around offensive racial slurs. You guys are hypocrites and you're closet racists.

Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
There can be no real argument that the N-word is offensive, regardless of context. The fact that it was allowed to be used as an article headline betrays a significant lapse in judgement, not the existence of racism in its user. Even if it were equivalent to racism, to then indict an entire group of people by association based on similar political views betrays an infantile reasoning capability.

You are right to claim that use of the N-word is not context specific regarding its ability to cause legitimate offense; however, context is key in understanding reaction to its use. Your reaction is simple deflection of the 'well, they do it too' sort. As misplaced as it was, the author's use of the word was meant to be provocative in order to draw attention to the overt racism displayed by Tea Party types.

You are lost if you equivocate Collier's use of the N-word with typical Tea Party tactics. But I suppose you think a small horde of people showing up in a black man's backyard with Confederate flags demanding he leave is an appropriate way to disagree with policy positions.
@A Theist
-So I gather from your responses so far, that no matter the context for which the racial 'N' slur was intended, it's okay to use it anyway even if Blacks do find the term offensive(?) If it's wrong to be racist then you should also agree that it's wrong to throw around offensive racial slurs. You guys are hypocrites and you're closet racists.
Yes, it is wrong to throw racial slurs around since they are offensive to many people. However, you've assumed that, if someone mentions this racial slur, it automatically makes him racist. Please explain this?
I can't imagine a pro Obama book being titled that way. It's like if I loved my sister, and wanted to write a book about her, I wouldn't title it The bitch I spent my childhood with.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(July 7, 2014 at 9:40 am)Baqal Wrote: @A Theist
-So I gather from your responses so far, that no matter the context for which the racial 'N' slur was intended, it's okay to use it anyway even if Blacks do find the term offensive(?) If it's wrong to be racist then you should also agree that it's wrong to throw around offensive racial slurs. You guys are hypocrites and you're closet racists.
Yes, it is wrong to throw racial slurs around since they are offensive to many people. However, you've assumed that, if someone mentions this racial slur, it automatically makes him racist. Please explain this?

People who are truly sensitive and sincere in their convictions for race relations would never use a slur like that no matter the context for which it was intended. I never use that word. Now you explain to me, why that someone who is a consevative, how is it that some on the left automatically assumes that person is a racist?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does The Orange Turdfuhrer Use The N-word? Minimalist 19 1956 August 17, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Just speculation at this point but..... Brian37 86 13490 January 11, 2018 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Seems As If They Had A Point Minimalist 21 3090 December 25, 2017 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  They Didn't Even Have The Decency To Use KY Jelly Minimalist 16 1753 December 4, 2017 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Bill Maher Draws Backlash After Using Racial Slur A Theist 52 10442 June 5, 2017 at 10:42 am
Last Post: Isis
  And They Manage Not To Use The Word "Terrorist" At All! Minimalist 33 6350 February 25, 2017 at 6:15 am
Last Post: abaris
  Huckabee Wants To Use Army To Stop Abortion Nope 37 6530 August 1, 2015 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The New Fox News Talking Point About the SC Shootings Nope 27 6032 June 23, 2015 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Faith No More
  Oxford U. Press bans use of pork-related words to avoid offending Muslims pocaracas 14 4533 January 15, 2015 at 1:11 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus