Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why "mysterious ways" don't matter.
Why "mysterious ways" don't matter.
As I was watching this cool Sam Harris video:

this cool Sam Harris video

a thought occurred to me as he was discussing the double standard of christians waving away the problem of evil and suffering by appealing to god's mysterious intentions: it's not only that this excuse is unconvincing, it's also completely irrelevant. It's just a deflection to avoid talking about the real issue, because motives aren't the sole determining factor when deciding moral issues.

An insane psychopath randomly murders eight people and refuses to speak once caught: his motivations for the acts he's committed are, to the outside observer, just as inscrutable and mysterious as god's. Is he allowed to go free? Are no charges brought against him? Does the judge simply shrug and dismiss the case: "Oh, his ways are mysterious, we cannot possibly judge them!"? No. The fucker is rightly judged by the effects of his actions and thrown in prison, or at least psychiatric care.

Conversely, a man driving his car on his way to volunteer at the puppy orphanage swerves to help an old lady cross the street, and hits and kills a man in the process. This is a scenario for which the actors motivations are entirely known and, indeed, benevolent, and yet he would still be charged with manslaughter for his inattention.

Now consider a man with good intentions who didn't cause a death and, for some reason when he's in court, steadfastly refuses to comment on what was going on. He remains utterly silent, even as the evidence comes in and it becomes more and more clear, to the outside observer, that this man committed the crime. Is his silence an excuse? Good intentions or not, would you consider this a get out of jail free card for him? And could you fault the jury for using the incomplete information at their disposal to find the man guilty?

Motive may be considered as a part of a moral determination, but it's not the be all and end all that christians pretend it to be where god is concerned. Appealing to some vague, speculative ur-motivation that you just think the actor has isn't just completely irrelevant, it's also entirely ineffective even within the premises of the argument.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
RE: Why "mysterious ways" don't matter.
Yeah, the mysterious ways argument is as much of a dodge as anything. It stems from the believe that Yahweh is supposed to be perfect. He's not allowed to make mistakes, so any action that would obviously be considered evil if committed by anyone else must be excused. You're misinterpreting the scriptures. he doesn't really condone slavery. Those tribes he drowned were descendents of demon/human hybrids. He doesn't throw people into hell. People choose hell. Nevermind why a lake of fire would exist as the only other place you would go if you don't worship him.

He's very mysterious, and seems more likle a failure than anything else. He continuously fails to accomplish what he has apparently set out to do, but we need to choose him anyway because he's the only option we have. Supposedly.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I don't believe the mysterious ways speaks to his motivation so much as it suggests that he has a justification for his acts which would be acceptable if known.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(July 7, 2014 at 10:16 am)rasetsu Wrote: I don't believe the mysterious ways speaks to his motivation so much as it suggests that he has a justification for his acts which would be acceptable if known.

Hence my third example: a justification that's present but not explained is indistinguishable to a third party from one that doesn't exist, and we certainly aren't obligated to completely suspend judgment because the accused refuses to give his justification.

Especially not when, as christians who use this excuse so aptly demonstrate, it's used as an unthinking, catch-all nullification of argument, sans any kind of demonstration that such a justification even exists. If you're going to just use "mysterious ways" as an answer to every contention right away, it's not as if you're actually thinking through available evidence and coming to the conclusion that an unknown but valid justification is most likely. You're just using it to shut down dissent.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(July 7, 2014 at 9:18 am)Esquilax Wrote: Conversely, a man driving his car on his way to volunteer at the puppy orphanage swerves to help an old lady cross the street, and hits and kills a man in the process. This is a scenario for which the actors motivations are entirely known and, indeed, benevolent, and yet he would still be charged with manslaughter for his inattention.
He'd be charged with manslaughter for committing manslaughter, not for being inattentive.

It's really the same across the board "But your honor I had good intentions when I killed that man" noted - and irrelevant (as you've already commented).

You can intend to kill some douchebag all day long - and so long as you lack or fail to provide yourself with the opportunity to carry that out.....and don't make that intention known- pretty much specifically to cops or the potential victim.......you're not going to be getting a summons anytime soon. This is pretty much the camp I'd put the christian god in. If the stories are to be relied upon in the most minor of ways - the guy clearly wants us dead....but since all of his mass killings have been imaginary, apparently, his fantasies - and since I have no reason to believe that he'll ever actually possess the means to carry out his fantasies...I'd just lock his silly ass in a glass box, rather than pursuing criminal charges.

Similarly, no matter how much you may not have intended to commit a crime - the crime was still committed and you are still guilty. This is where we are if the stories are to be relied upon as absolute fact. God, good intentions and all, has condemned (quaintly, cursed) us to death from before the moment of our births due to the alleged crimes of another. We might pick through the narrative line by line, and ask about suffering - but it hardly matters. He made the threat, carried it out, and continues to maintain that position of menace - ostensibly, in perpetuity or until such a time as he decides to pull the plug on anyone else who might be left standing. He both possesses the means - and has a clear history of violence. Bailiff, get this fucker outta here.

Mysterious ways isn't just useless and irrelevant, it sets the bar lower for a god than we set for ourselves. It's insulting to both human beings and the concept of god. In it's ignorance - and it is entirely an argument from ignorance - it assaults our notions of ethics, law, and moral responsibility.

Some god, some mystery. Jerkoff
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Esquilax--are you assuming that God causes an "evil" event or allows an "evil" event? There is a big division in Christianity between these two positions.

I don't think that the position that God causes an evil event to happen is defensible logically nor an accurate interpretation of the Bible. So, your argument that the "God's mysterious intentions...is irrelevant...because motives aren't the sole determining factor when deciding moral issues", does not progress your hypothesis because then motive is not an issue.
(July 7, 2014 at 11:23 am)SteveII Wrote: Esquilax--are you assuming that God causes an "evil" event or allows an "evil" event? There is a big division in Christianity between these two positions.

I don't think that the position that God causes an evil event to happen is defensible logically nor an accurate interpretation of the Bible. So, your argument that the "God's mysterious intentions...is irrelevant...because motives aren't the sole determining factor when deciding moral issues", does not progress your hypothesis because then motive is not an issue.

While I don't think you could be accused of first degree murder if you're standing nearby when one person murders another, you will still be accused of a crime if you do nothing while having the power to do something.

There may be a difference, but it isn't a big difference. Not that god has never caused an evil event. There are many things in the bible, directly caused by Yahweh, that most people would consider evil.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

It's just another bullshit reason that apologists think they have to get their god off the hook. It is as silly as everything else they come up with, Esq.
(July 7, 2014 at 11:46 am)Chad32 Wrote: While I don't think you could be accused of first degree murder if you're standing nearby when one person murders another, you will still be accused of a crime if you do nothing while having the power to do something.
-or, more accurately - if you hand them the knife knowing damned well what they're going to do with it.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
One of the common settings in which the "mysterious ways" defense is raised is in attacks on the existence of god based on the existence of evil. In such attacks, it is suggested that the existence of evil is inconsistent with the characteristics of god. But this only holds if the evil is gratuitous or unjustified. Thus, whether god's ways are mysterious does indeed matter for this argument. Additionally, in stories like Job, the mysterious ways may be asserted as a way of undermining mankind's authority to make moral pronouncements. If human kind can't justify their moral stance, god's justification of his acts is unnecessary. Again, mysterious ways matter.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 3922 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Why don't we have people named Jesus? Alexmahone 28 5409 April 5, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Why i don't respect your religion or your faith dyresand 39 12280 September 16, 2015 at 4:08 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Two ways to prove the existence of God. Also, what I'm looking for. IanHulett 9 3607 July 25, 2015 at 6:37 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Why does Jesus' "suffering" matter? luka 99 20320 July 21, 2015 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  The questionable morality of Christianity (and Islam, for that matter) rado84 35 7514 July 21, 2015 at 9:01 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why do gospel contradictions matter? taylor93112 87 18989 April 28, 2015 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: Desert Diva
  Three Ways to Torture Demons You Haven't Heard of Yet JesusHChrist 15 4872 February 16, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The crucifixion of jesus and why it doesn't matter dyresand 54 9827 February 11, 2015 at 3:19 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why Don't Christians Have A Jubilee Year Like In The Bible Nope 18 7656 December 19, 2014 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Drich