Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petition
Petition
So this is going on and since I didn't see it posted here yet I figured I'd drop it off to grab a few more signatures.

Sign and share

"We the People of the United States, demand that the tax exempt status of all churches in the U.S., be removed immediately and that there be no government funding of ANY religion. Keep the separation of church and state! Taxpayers who do not believe or agree with the current religious influence on policy should not have to fund the religious right with tax money. Eliminating the tax exemption status for churches would solve poverty in the United States. We no longer want to fund religions who think the Bible trumps the Constitution."

There is a deadline of July 30, 2014

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitio...s/SJ95WZzZ
RE: Petition
That's annoying it wont let me sign on mobile because everytime I try to type into the zip code box the keyboard disappears Angry
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
Seems like I remember a similar petition with a lot more signatures on it.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
Done.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Signed.
I propose a petition barring the US from giving Israel or anywhere else money. I'd prefer our aid be given as aid, not free cash. Plus WE need that money to pay off debts.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
I think tax exemptions from a legal perspective should be the same (if we're talking about income or profit tax on collective people) for charity associations or foundations, sure we know the church likes it's profit, but if their primary mission is to propagate christian faith we can't demand them to pay more taxes than a non profit organization... Of course if there are special tax benefits comparing the church with other religious institutions that's a different problem. In my country there is a treaty with the vatican that grants some exemptions to the catholic church, but then again this is accepted because the population is predominately catcholic so the State assumes it's important to benefit the church

As for the church influence that's a different matter
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

I really hate the way it's worded, and I don't think it's honest, so I don't think I can sign it. For example:

Gonna need some evidence for this statement:

Quote:Eliminating the tax exemption status for churches would solve poverty in the United States.

And this is a strawman:

Quote:We no longer want to fund religions who think the Bible trumps the Constitution.

I would definitely sign a petition that was more simply worded... something like, "due to the United States' policy of separation of church and state, religions should not be funded by the state. We demand the immediate removal of tax-exempt status for churches."
(July 7, 2014 at 3:16 pm)Luckie Wrote: I propose a petition barring the US from giving Israel or anywhere else money. I'd prefer our aid be given as aid, not free cash. Plus WE need that money to pay off debts.

There is already one on whitehouse.gov.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
(July 7, 2014 at 3:21 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: I really hate the way it's worded, and I don't think it's honest, so I don't think I can sign it. For example:

Gonna need some evidence for this statement:

Quote:Eliminating the tax exemption status for churches would solve poverty in the United States.

And this is a strawman:

Quote:We no longer want to fund religions who think the Bible trumps the Constitution.

I would definitely sign a petition that was more simply worded... something like, "due to the United States' policy of separation of church and state, religions should not be funded by the state. We demand the immediate removal of tax-exempt status for churches."

Are you sure about that last one?

http://aattp.org/insane-bible-waving-rep...ion-video/

Quote:Insane Bible-Waving Republican Says ‘God’s Law’ Trumps Constitution (Video)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Petition to abolish the Electoral College Foxaèr 44 1639 October 19, 2020 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Petition: second referendum for leaving the EU robvalue 37 4239 June 25, 2016 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  [UK] petition to stop FGM pocaracas 4 1564 November 14, 2013 at 9:15 pm
Last Post: Darth
  Petition officials of Colorado district to stop discrimating against trans kids Mystical 21 7761 April 3, 2013 at 9:14 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Here Petition Against the right to petition. JohnDG 2 1112 January 10, 2013 at 5:34 pm
  Petition for those in the UNITED STATES. Brian37 16 6077 November 17, 2012 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Petition: Eliminate Florida's felony murder rule. Tiberius 35 11330 August 24, 2012 at 11:53 am
  Petition: Halt Louisiana's voucher program that could fund creationism. Ziploc Surprise 2 2041 July 21, 2012 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  Due process possibly being abolished. Article & Petition Explaining. Handprint 23 5737 December 14, 2011 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Secularism petition (for UK members) groovydude89 7 2671 September 19, 2011 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Cinjin