Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we classify religions as myths?
Can we classify religions as myths?
According to the dictionary (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/myth) a myth can be:

1 - A traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.
2 - Stories or matter of this kind: realm of myth.
3 - Any invented story, idea, or concept: His account of the event is pure myth.
4 -An imaginary or fictitious thing or person.
5 - An unproved or false collective belief that is used to justify a social institution.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of recorded religions mankind has practiced and gods we have worshiped throughout history. Any sane person will not have a problem in classifying Greek, Egyptian or Norse gods/religions as mythology. Why not Christianity or Islam? After all, there is no evidence to support any claim regarding any religion/god, just like there wasn't proof for the ancient gods

My question is - Can we legitimately/"scientifically" consider all religions/gods as myth? Is the classification accurate? And if so, why is it a problem to classify the big five religions (Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism) as myths and not the ancient gods/mythology/religions?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

RE: Can we classify religions as myths?
(July 14, 2014 at 7:39 pm)Blackout Wrote: My question is - Can we legitimately/"scientifically" consider all religions/gods as myth? Is the classification accurate?

Yes.

(July 14, 2014 at 7:39 pm)Blackout Wrote: And if so, why is it a problem to classify the big five religions (Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism) as myths and not the ancient gods/mythology/religions?

Because it offends living practitioners. You know, like the various religious visitors who get offended here on the forums.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
That would be my thought, indeed it offends living practitioners, just like if there were any worshipers of Thor or Zeus they'd freak out if we classified their gods as myths.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Yes, we keep trying but the religious majority just won't accept that definition for some reason.
Dying to live, living to die.
Even the Bible says that the Bible is BS. Those English guys who wrote it were really pranksters.

Titus 1:14 (CEB) = They shouldn’t pay attention to Jewish myths and commands from people who reject the truth.

Think about that little gem The Bible is full of Jewish myths. The Bible says to disregard the myths that so many people believe. So that verse says not to believe anything in the Bible because it can all be nothing but Jewish myths.
By default a religion is based upon myth. You have prevailing theories such as the Ritual/Myth theory which are used to give meaning to myth and the rituals and religions that follow it. On a theological note, myth much like the word theory is what is used to classify all religious tales. Myth is not to be mistaken for a derogatory word.

I myself loves mythology but I would never mistaken those myths for reality and form a religion from them.
[Image: tumblr_n8f4c0zuQE1twxzjco1_1280.png]
(July 15, 2014 at 1:32 am)Rabb Allah Wrote: By default a religion is based upon myth. You have prevailing theories such as the Ritual/Myth theory which are used to give meaning to myth and the rituals and religions that follow it. On a theological note, myth much like the word theory is what is used to classify all religious tales. Myth is not to be mistaken for a derogatory word.

I myself loves mythology but I would never mistaken those myths for reality and form a religion from them.

90% of the world can't distinquish the difference unfortunately.
As our friend says: they go one god too far...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 15, 2014 at 3:45 am)ignoramus Wrote:
(July 15, 2014 at 1:32 am)Rabb Allah Wrote: By default a religion is based upon myth. You have prevailing theories such as the Ritual/Myth theory which are used to give meaning to myth and the rituals and religions that follow it. On a theological note, myth much like the word theory is what is used to classify all religious tales. Myth is not to be mistaken for a derogatory word.

90% of the world can't distinquish the difference unfortunately.
As our friend says: they go one god too far...

Well, just like the word "spirit" theist have taken the words myth, god and religion and corrupted into something it cannot possibly be. Santa Claus much like god is not a real and literal thing and somehow religious minds try making sense of this.
[Image: tumblr_n8f4c0zuQE1twxzjco1_1280.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 11142 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1852 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  To all religions/What makes you think...... Brian37 22 2782 February 26, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: no one
  Religions Role in Social Movements, Essential or Accidental? Neo-Scholastic 17 3487 October 4, 2018 at 3:58 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Are all religions cults? Aroura 88 11138 September 30, 2018 at 1:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3737 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Why do the Abrahamic religions hate the female body so much? Rhondazvous 84 10878 June 18, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions? Greatest I am 37 12866 March 23, 2018 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  How I view all the world's religions. Brian37 0 602 March 22, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why you should distrust all religions. Jehanne 57 11105 January 9, 2018 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII