Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My best friends mom just died an hour ago.
My best friends mom just died an hour ago.
He hasn't told me how she died yet, he is hysterical right now and I don't know if I should ditch work to see if he's alright. What makes this even more difficult is that he's somewhat a believer in the supernatural, at least the "spiritual" side of things and he knows I'm an atheist so I don't really want to say what I think at the moment because I know he will ask me these type of philosophical questions. Anyway, maybe there is a way I can talk to him about this later without it making him feel even worse, maybe just focus on the good times he had with his mom. I haven't had to deal with death very much in my life, so it's a foreign feeling to me to know someone pretty well and they're gone the next day. How would you guys deal with this? just curious.
If the hypothetical idea of an afterlife means more to you than the objectively true reality we all share, then you deserve no respect.
RE: My best friends mom just died an hour ago.
Go comfort your friend. He called you, not a theist. If he's hysterical, a hug and an ear are what's required not platitudes about the hereafter.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
I'm so sorry. I agree with Jenny, your friend doesn't need theological arguments. He just wants a shoulder to cry on. In fact, if he's anything like me over the loss of my Sam, he won't thank you for using his mother as a debating point, now or ever.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I can try to get off work here but I don't think I they will let me for a friends mom dying. And he sort of is a theist to some extent, so a theist did call me...And I know he will try to talk about this stuff with me. So it's inevitable.
If the hypothetical idea of an afterlife means more to you than the objectively true reality we all share, then you deserve no respect.
Yeah, a theist called you, but from what you say he called you not as a theist but as a vulnerable human being who just lost his mother.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
You are the friend he called. That suggests you are the friend he wants. Not too difficult really.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(July 15, 2014 at 4:04 pm)Jenny A Wrote: You are the friend he called. That suggests you are the friend he wants. Not too difficult really.

Not too difficult? no offense, but you're being kind of a dick to me about my friends mom dying. He is a theist, he didn't just call me and I wish I could just ditch work but my boss just told me no so I had to tell my friend to wait a few hours. You're making a lot of presumptions about the situation that you have no business making. I'm surprised you're getting kudos for your presumptuous tone.
(July 15, 2014 at 3:58 pm)Godslayer Wrote: I can try to get off work here but I don't think I they will let me for a friends mom dying. And he sort of is a theist to some extent, so a theist did call me...And I know he will try to talk about this stuff with me. So it's inevitable.

Dude forget the fact of him being a theist and remember he is your friend. If they wont let you leave work then fine, but you get to him asap.

(July 15, 2014 at 4:10 pm)Godslayer Wrote:
(July 15, 2014 at 4:04 pm)Jenny A Wrote: You are the friend he called. That suggests you are the friend he wants. Not too difficult really.

Not too difficult? no offense, but you're being kind of a dick to me about my friends mom dying. He is a theist, he didn't just call me and I wish I could just ditch work but my boss just told me no so I had to tell my friend to wait a few hours. You're making a lot of presumptions about the situation that you have no business making. I'm surprised you're getting kudos for your presumptuous tone.

Sounds like your boss is a douche. I hoope they make him stay when someone close to him dies.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(July 15, 2014 at 4:12 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote:
(July 15, 2014 at 3:58 pm)Godslayer Wrote: I can try to get off work here but I don't think I they will let me for a friends mom dying. And he sort of is a theist to some extent, so a theist did call me...And I know he will try to talk about this stuff with me. So it's inevitable.

Dude forget the fact of him being a theist and remember he is your friend. If they wont let you leave work then fine, but you get to him asap.

?What? he's going to bring this stuff up to me, I'm not. Did some of you even read the OP and follow up posts?

EDIT: I was looking for advice as in what to say when he brings it up.
Let's all cool our jets. I haven't seen anyone here being presumptuous; we're all going by the information you shared. Also, nobody's trying to be a dick to you. We're all basically advising you to separate your friend as a theist from your friend as a vulnerable human being.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mom is 102! Gwaithmir 20 1501 September 23, 2023 at 7:44 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Things your family/friends have done you wish. Brian37 5 480 October 19, 2021 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Just for one hour ! AniKoferBo 25 1833 August 14, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  My uncle died from COVID19 today. Jehanne 17 1059 November 26, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Losty
  I have given up smoking 6 months ago , but ... Megabullshit 95 3399 April 1, 2020 at 6:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My mom would be pissed at me. Brian37 4 492 October 23, 2019 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Can you filthy foreigners please invite your friends? Losty 43 2846 May 1, 2019 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
Wink Want to read about my mom?? Clueless Morgan 2 635 April 5, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Hanging out at a friends house last night. Brian37 45 4541 November 26, 2018 at 9:44 am
Last Post: Cod
  Do you have friends who don’t share your political views? Losty 13 1735 November 19, 2018 at 12:00 am
Last Post: GrandizerII