Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
kreeping the internet free?
kreeping the internet free?
Anyone know the implications of all this?

https://m.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%...Gk3ZnV&s=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbOEoRrHyU&sns=em
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
RE: kreeping the internet free?
The Internet providers want to charge the streaming services like Netflix and Youtube more for higher speeds. YOU will pay the cost in terms of higher prices.
All I know is that Comcast sucks balls now
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(July 15, 2014 at 10:44 pm)Luckie Wrote: Anyone know the implications of all this?

https://m.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%...Gk3ZnV&s=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbOEoRrHyU&sns=em

I've heard the analogy that if net neutrality isn't maintained, internet services would go to sort of a cable/satellite system where you choose the package you want: "I want HBO and AMC but not SyFy or ESPN" like "I want wikipedia and Hulu+ but not youtube and Netflix" or whatever. Kind of like when TV was new, you got all the channels for free, but then cable came along and you started paying for different/additional channels (?).

Don't know how accurate this analogy is to what would happen, but that's the impression that I've gotten as I hang around the sidelines of the discussion.

The bottom line seems to be contact the FCC and tell them you want net neutrality maintained.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
It basically allows the already massive companies to build even bigger monopolies.

That's capitalism for ya.
(July 16, 2014 at 11:42 am)Napoléon Wrote: It basically allows the already massive companies to build even bigger monopolies.

That's capitalism for ya.

Yes...and to fuck over the consumer which is what they do best.
(July 15, 2014 at 10:47 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The Internet providers want to charge the streaming services like Netflix and Youtube more for higher speeds. YOU will pay the cost in terms of higher prices.

Correction: They want to charge Netflix and YouTube more in addition for the bandwidth they already currently pay for.

This is double dipping at its finest.

Currently, you pay the bandwidth provider money for the bandwidth that you use.

The providers want to charge even more. So

What they do is come up with the artifice that because a site is more popular, therefore it should pay even more money in addition to the bandwidth cost that they already are charged for.

They do this because they are too cowardly to negotiate proper service-level contracts with other providers/carriers.

This is directly against the concept of network neutrality – which is that a "bag of bits" that you pay for will be ferried to the destination without regard to what it is. Effectively the US post office of the Internet - you send the letter of a certain size, pay for it, and it will be delivered. It doesn't matter if the letter contains photos of your family reunion or your company secrets. The real world post office does not care, and neither should the virtual equivalent of the post office care.

Network neutrality is a cornerstone of the modern Internet. Every single service depends upon it.

Imagine a world where you have to pay more for the same amount of data simply due to the content of it. That is what the Internet service providers are trying to do
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(July 16, 2014 at 11:36 am)Clueless Morgan Wrote: The bottom line seems to be contact the FCC and tell them you want net neutrality maintained.

I heard this morning on the local NPR station that the FCC is extending the deadline for feedback since responses crashed their servers. 3rd highest response rate on record. The other two being media ownership deregulation (which fucked us) and the Janet Jackson Super Bowl boob snafu driven by Christians with speed dial.

Have to also comment on the menu type purchasing. I wish this were the case, but there's no real choice in programming options. I'm an advocate of a Chinese menu which technically is easily managed via computer these days. I entertained myself the last time I spoke with Time Warner by asking why I had to supplement 15 Jesus channels when I don't watch them. To be honest I don't watch 80% of the channels I have to pay for to watch the ones I do.
This post by CollegeHumor explains the debate succinctly, logically, and hilariously:

HERE
Luke: You don't believe in the Force, do you?

Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.
I also enjoy fixing problems that don't really exist. I enjoy kreeping stuff as well.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What would happen to the Internet if there were no regulation? FlatAssembler 7 224 January 27, 2024 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Will quantum computers slow our Internet down? FlatAssembler 5 450 November 16, 2023 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Need info on Internet connection when even cell phone service is iffy arewethereyet 10 972 February 24, 2023 at 11:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Ermagerd not Internet Explorer! Rhizomorph13 18 1426 April 6, 2021 at 8:51 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Opinions on "fiber optic" internet? Gawdzilla Sama 31 1859 February 19, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Internet Speed 2018 Iroscato 20 2564 April 19, 2018 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Internet Browser paulpablo 14 1863 May 2, 2017 at 3:48 am
Last Post: Sal
  Iran rolls out domestic internet account_inactive 6 1621 August 30, 2016 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Internet speed, 2015 bennyboy 128 17147 April 22, 2016 at 10:06 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Analogue internet! ignoramus 11 2193 September 11, 2015 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: vorlon13