Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Youth Pastor's Pleading Letter to Me
So, I don't know if this is the right place to post this but the church of my youth has found out about my atheism via social media and has made a spirited attempt to bring me back into the fold... bleakly I might add, but it's about as IN MY FACE as I can possibly stand.

I received one hell of an email this evening from the youth pastor who made led me to accept the Lord when I was a mentally vulnerable 12 year old.

I want to repsond in a way that will at least get him to think. He's so far gone I'm not sure that he can see reason, but if people had given up on me I wouldn't be able to live in my current state of enlightenment. He wrote a frickin' novel, but this is the jist of it... how would you respond, if at all??

(he calls me Amy, which everyone who's lazy resorts to)

I think I barfed in my mouth slightly. He's a genuine, heartfelt guy, but he's choosing to feel rather than think. How can I reason with that?? I just don't know.

Thoughts?
The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it.
-- Mark Twain, Notebook
RE: My Youth Pastor's Pleading Letter to Me
Amy, (lazy way, but you started it!), are you in damage control mode?
Can he or the ''group" hurt you further if you are less diplomatic than need be?

Or do you want to unleash hell on this demented specimen of an Xtard?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 18, 2014 at 5:16 am)ignoramus Wrote: Amy, (lazy way, but you started it!), are you in damage control mode?
Can he or the ''group" hurt you further if you are less diplomatic than need be?

Or do you want to unleash hell on this demented specimen of an Xtard?

I have vastly removed myself from the vapid existence of church life. They can't hurt me or really impact... but I want this guy's faith jostled. People challenging my faith got me to question, even if it was through mockery.
The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it.
-- Mark Twain, Notebook
sounds like he wants to fill you with the holy spirit...
Truth is, you can't.

You can attempt to give a witty, faith jostling retort, but I don't think that would have the impact you're seeking to have.

Rather, you can outline (briefly or not, it's up to you) why you decided to ditch your faith; the moments that grew to culminate in you making that leap. I don't see any need to be antagonistic about it, almost like he is in that letter. Rather, outline the above, and conclude that you (personally) don't need a god, or a religious belief, to be who you are. Your love and kindness doesn't require an un-evidenced big bearded man in the sky.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(July 18, 2014 at 6:15 am)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: Truth is, you can't.

You can attempt to give a witty, faith jostling retort, but I don't think that would have the impact you're seeking to have.

Rather, you can outline (briefly or not, it's up to you) why you decided to ditch your faith; the moments that grew to culminate in you making that leap. I don't see any need to be antagonistic about it, almost like he is in that letter. Rather, outline the above, and conclude that you (personally) don't need a god, or a religious belief, to be who you are. Your love and kindness doesn't require an un-evidenced big bearded man in the sky.

Word.
-- Mark Twain, Notebook
I have a friend who had a son. He loves the kid to death. A few years ago his wife took off with the kid, took him all the way to Kenya and broke off all contact. He hasn't seen his son for years now.

Now lesly, the father, has got a plan to be reunited with his son. It involves him being as visible as possible at all times.
I would ignore him and move on.

If that's not possible I would simply tell him that if God loved me so and wanted a relationship then God can come tell me himself. He knows he doesn't really have a relationship with God. There's no relationship in a situation where one person is doing all the communicating.
Yes, god loves you soooo much that he'll send you to hell if you don't love him back.

Sounds more like a stalker.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
The guy's writing as if you're 5 yrs old. That should tell you all you need to know.
Could write back in the style of childrens book I suppose...
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church demands the victim apologize to pastor's wife since the pastor did the rape. Foxaèr 122 15811 September 17, 2016 at 4:30 am
Last Post: rado84
  Open letter to hard line muslims lifesagift 0 987 November 13, 2014 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: lifesagift
  Truth for Youth Diablo 4 1577 August 28, 2014 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Zack
  Pastor states "religion and politics interrelated" Foxaèr 7 2798 May 25, 2014 at 9:59 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Is killing a Pastor always a bad thing? Mystical 85 22880 November 9, 2013 at 8:51 am
Last Post: T.J.
  Fundamentalist Pastor Takes to YouTube to Fault Women for All Social Ills Ziploc Surprise 9 5431 May 13, 2012 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
Sad Christian Pastor: God wants you to beat the homosexuality out of your kids Miami_Marlins_fan 3 2982 May 3, 2012 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  US pastor subject of lawsuit by Ugandan gay advocacy group Doubting Thomas 3 1375 March 15, 2012 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Pastor to be extradited to Kenya frankiej 14 3216 September 22, 2011 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist
  Open Letter on Evil everythingafter 1 1390 September 1, 2010 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: Captain Scarlet