Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We have enough examples of this wandering around unsupervised!
We have enough examples of this wandering around unsupervised!
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/07/18/re...m-fiction/

Quote:Researchers: Children exposed to religion have difficulty distinguishing fact from fiction

Quote:“Children with exposure to religion — via church attendance, parochial schooling, or both — judged [characters in religious stories] to be real,” the authors wrote. “By contrast, children with no such exposure judged them to be pretend,” just as they had the characters in fairy tales. But children with exposure to religion judged many characters in fantastical, but not explicitly religious stories, to also be real — the equivalent of being incapable of differentiating between Mark Twain’s character Tom Sawyer and an account of George Washington’s life.

This conclusion contradicts previous studies in which children were said to be “born believers,” i.e. that they possessed “a natural credulity toward extraordinary beings with superhuman powers. Indeed, secular children responded to religious stories in much the same way as they responded to fantastical stories — they judged the protagonist to be pretend.”
RE: We have enough examples of this wandering around unsupervised!
I bet there crooks on the internet around the world thrilled to hear that.
Quote:Researchers: Children exposed to religion have difficulty distinguishing fact from fiction

And when these children grow up, they have difficulty distinguishing evolution from god.

I wonder if there's a connection there somewhere?
Nah, prolly just my imagination.... carry on...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Some children grow out of it.

Some are like the shitheads who sprinkle jesus dust around here.
Americans do hate to think and they will do almost anything to avoid it. It's much easier just to accept what you're told than it is to think about it and reach your own conclusions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Enough of this crap, I want to hear directly from god Foxaèr 82 5607 December 22, 2020 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Prycejosh1987
  Why did my mom tell me that feelings are enough to have religion? Der/die AtheistIn 11 1334 April 2, 2019 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Why do some religious people think the world revolves around them? Cecelia 28 9481 June 3, 2017 at 11:57 am
Last Post: J a c k
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 20760 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Post your favorite examples of religion trying to be "cool" Bunburryist 6 1097 August 22, 2016 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Waving your religion around in public is like dyresand 9 3383 September 11, 2015 at 10:52 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I wear a cross around my neck russiangj2 18 3728 March 7, 2015 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pascal's wager: Why is anyone dumb enough to use it Lemonvariable72 6 3252 May 12, 2014 at 11:27 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  This Gem is Making it's way Around FB festive1 13 3057 November 9, 2013 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Is a dead baby enough of a wake up call? That guy who asked questions 17 6862 May 31, 2013 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen