Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Small Step For Life, One Giant Leap For Understanding
One Small Step For Life, One Giant Leap For Understanding
It would be fair to say that the last nine months of my life have been far from ordinary. It is also fair to say that my life has recently been far from extraordinary. At first this sounds like a ridiculously worded sentiment of utter nonsense but let me elaborate.

For me, ordinary was belief. Ordinary assumed Mormonism and insinuated absolute truth. Ordinary was prayer, scripture, and revelation. Ordinary was seminary five days a week, youth group or callings once to twice a week, and three to five hours of church on Sundays. My life has been very far from "ordinary," not that I am complaining.

Extraordinary, for my culture, meant blessings of unparalleled value. It meant miracles and visions, spiritual awakenings, and heavenly visits. It meant baptizing and claiming the administration of angels above. Extraordinary also meant a revelation via God's voice or Jesus' manifestation on a piece of toast. My life has not been extraordinary either, but that doesn't mean it was meant to be.

Instead, my life has been the opposite of ordinary, but not sinful or blasphemous either. I hadn't been lost to Satan, Hell, or any sort of sickly life style. I hadn't even found myself immoral, deceitful, or aggressive. My whole life I had assumed that would not have been the case of a life of un-ordinary value. My whole life I would have been sure that I would have been subjected to such negative ideas if I had decided to be un-ordinary.

But even then, I hate to use the word (or made up word) of "un-ordinary." I find it similar to the terms of "ex Mormon" or "post Mormon." These terms alone assume that there is something of loss or perhaps something worthy to be compared and contrasted. But the life of an emerging skeptic and rationalist does not need to be compared to such lifestyles, these lifestyles don't deserve to be compared and contrasted against a free thinker's ideas.

So this is why my life is neither ordinary, extraordinary, and not even un-ordinary but because of the pretentiousness of the word, I would not call it "original" either. My life is very unoriginal. It's not even an unlikely or rare occurrence. Human life has shown itself to be rather successful on this planet. But I would be the first one to call my life "genuine."

For the first time in my life, I'm scared beyond believable extant due to my ignorance, but I can admit that. I can now admit that I am often wrong, arrogant, and often time ignorant and a little naive, but this is no embarrassing idea. I can now, with confidence, say "I don't know" and be completely at peace with it. I can now look at my life and say "I know absolutely nothing about this world" but then with minor confidence conclude with "but I am sure I can learn." But perhaps the most powerful ability is to say "I've done my homework and after further review I believe you are wrong...or more precisely, I have no reason to believe that you are right."

My life has been genuine, beyond a doubt, and nothing can replace the the joy that that idea creates. I can event admit that I sometimes find myself praying due to old habit. I can find myself questioning whether I can hang with disbelief. I can find myself wishing I could believe in some form of higher power. All these things I can admit, but I can also assess. I can work with these thoughts. Before it was "don't even ruminate with contrary thoughts" but now it is "challenge thoughts if they are persistently annoying."

Luckily, I have never found myself reverting back to the theist's schema. Contrary to popular American belief, atheism is something you are born with, theism has to be taught. It takes more energy to retain superstitious ideas and forcefully restrict critical thinking than it does to confront superstition and embrace critical thinking. So due to embracing my full nature, I have never once forsook my atheism and reverted to religious guilt.

Another thought that comes to mind is that the theist and I are not so different. The only difference is that one has come to terms with doubt and the other has refused to admit that there is anything to doubt. I for one am incredibly thankful that doubt is no longer sin, but an incredibly valuable asset.

On a closing note, the uncertainty of life and fear of illness and death is no more bearable with or without god, but knowing the facts of science and medicine makes things a little more understandable. As I was pulled into the operating room this past Friday and was prepared for surgery, I found my self singing all sort of songs. From classical to Broadway tunes, I found myself scrambling to self soothe. Before too much time, I found myself contemplating prayer. This was only natural since I had done the same the last time I went into surgery and I was eager to cope. At first I was eager to blindly reject the idea, but I thoughtfully confronted the idea for a few moments and thought "who am I praying to?" and "how I am sure this works?" Difficult questions, but then I followed with "why am I in surgery?", "who is operating on me?", "what is the explanation of my illness?", and "what are all the facts to this situation?"

Before long, I found myself soothed my the existence of knowledge, so much that my fear of the lack of knowledge was non-existent. Luckily for me, I new somewhat a scientific definition of my situation and conjured a simple explanation and algorithm as to what is to happen in the next couple hours.

Naturally, I was soon induced with some sort of pain medication, I resumed my worldly hymns, and I found myself comforted by the idea that "science is saving my life and if it doesn't, then hopefully it will use my disaster to save others." Within ten more minutes I had been given anesthetic and found my self awakening in the post op room thinking "one more success for medicine and one more reason to be satisfied with dis-belief. Either way, whether I lived or died, it was not my decision either way. Welcome to life."
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
RE: One Small Step For Life, One Giant Leap For Understanding
Beginning a novel?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(July 23, 2014 at 5:44 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: Beginning a novel?

One I would very much want to read. Welcome!
Luke: You don't believe in the Force, do you?

Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.
(July 23, 2014 at 3:30 am)Quantum1Connect Wrote:

For the first time in my life, I'm scared beyond believable extant due to my ignorance, but I can admit that. I can now admit that I am often wrong, arrogant, and often time ignorant and a little naive, but this is no embarrassing idea. I can now, with confidence, say "I don't know" and be completely at peace with it. I can now look at my life and say "I know absolutely nothing about this world" but then with minor confidence conclude with "but I am sure I can learn." But perhaps the most powerful ability is to say "I've done my homework and after further review I believe you are wrong...or more precisely, I have no reason to believe that you are right."

You are on your way to a good place in life. Apply reason to your own actions if you haven't already started, question your own motives and biases, and be harder on yourself that you expect anyone else to be; but you've already found the first and most important key to the well-reasoned life, which is in my opinion making your peace with not always knowing.

Quote:

On a closing note, the uncertainty of life and fear of illness and death is no more bearable with or without god, but knowing the facts of science and medicine makes things a little more understandable. As I was pulled into the operating room this past Friday and was prepared for surgery, I found my self singing all sort of songs.

My best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for you. Is your malady serious or minor, passing or chronic?

Haha, not on this particular topic, but should I?

(July 27, 2014 at 10:16 pm)StealthySkeptic Wrote:

One I would very much want to read. Welcome!

Thank you Smile I will strongly contemplate it.

(July 27, 2014 at 11:07 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(July 23, 2014 at 3:30 am)Quantum1Connect Wrote:

You are on your way to a good place in life. Apply reason to your own actions if you haven't already started, question your own motives and biases, and be harder on yourself that you expect anyone else to be; but you've already found the first and most important key to the well-reasoned life, which is in my opinion making your peace with not always knowing.

Quote:

On a closing note, the uncertainty of life and fear of illness and death is no more bearable with or without god, but knowing the facts of science and medicine makes things a little more understandable. As I was pulled into the operating room this past Friday and was prepared for surgery, I found my self singing all sort of songs.

My best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for you. Is your malady serious or minor, passing or chronic?

Oh, sorry, I had failed to specify. It was a rather minor surgery, it was a laparoscopic appendectomy since my appendix had became inflamed and the pain thereof was very chronic. Thank you for your wishes and kind wordsSmile
(July 28, 2014 at 2:02 pm)Quantum1Connect Wrote: Oh, sorry, I had failed to specify. It was a rather minor surgery, it was a laparoscopic appendectomy since my appendix had became inflamed and the pain thereof was very chronic. Thank you for your wishes and kind wordsSmile

Ha. DITTO! May I presume it was keyhole, scars above your crotch, below your belly button and to the left of both? Heh.

Had mine out about a month ago. Non specific abdo-pain was my diagnosis for about 4 months. After my 3rd admission for 10/10 pain they decided to do a CT scan which came back negative.

Ended up doing the LA and found my appendix was slightly inflamed but my intestines were fine. Definitely not appendicitis as my bloods were all clear.

A mystery no doubt. Good luck in your recovery!
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(July 28, 2014 at 2:25 pm)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote:
(July 28, 2014 at 2:02 pm)Quantum1Connect Wrote: Oh, sorry, I had failed to specify. It was a rather minor surgery, it was a laparoscopic appendectomy since my appendix had became inflamed and the pain thereof was very chronic. Thank you for your wishes and kind wordsSmile

Ha. DITTO! May I presume it was keyhole, scars above your crotch, below your belly button and to the left of both? Heh.

Had mine out about a month ago. Non specific abdo-pain was my diagnosis for about 4 months. After my 3rd admission for 10/10 pain they decided to do a CT scan which came back negative.

Ended up doing the LA and found my appendix was slightly inflamed but my intestines were fine. Definitely not appendicitis as my bloods were all clear.

A mystery no doubt. Good luck in your recovery!

That is rather odd! haha. Well, glad you got rid of that mysterious organ nonetheless.

You too if you have not recovered fully yet! Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 2981 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 3610 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1383 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, asthev 14 2059 March 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, auuka 21 3100 October 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  "How do I know God exists?" - the first step to atheism Mystic 51 29712 April 23, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, brukanzuu 14 2875 March 2, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, baah 59 9894 October 27, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, cali0 38 6789 November 13, 2016 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Today is Chapter One of my new life Won2blv 15 2441 October 23, 2016 at 4:31 am
Last Post: robvalue