Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Math Educations: who needs it, how much and when?
Math Educations: who needs it, how much and when?
True confessions: I teach this stuff. I enjoy the subject. I like people .. including young ones. I've always said I like teaching math because it is the easiest subject in which to reach clarity and test for validity. I've even said I am covertly teaching critical thinking. But I sometimes wonder about the level of specificity of what is taught.

That's where my question comes from. Teaching middle school I'm charged with teaching kids what seems to many of them very complex and esoteric. So, for me, I sometimes wonder .. am I making everyone practice piano 2 hours a day just so those few who go on to become virtuosos will have received a proper start?

I was just looking at youtube videos of people complaining about the common core. (I start teaching that in a month so my jury is out.) Then I came to this TED talk in which someone with my job asks and offers an answer to my question. Thoughts?

http://youtu.be/xyowJZxrtbg
RE: Math Educations: who needs it, how much and when?
You teach maths? I was needing to solve a problem urgently. Not for me, for my girlfriend who's having an exam tomorrow (geometry, involving math)
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

I haven't taught any substantial geometry in .. forever .. but I've just worked through the units on congruence and similarity. (Both are pretty cool.) So what's the problem? If I don't find a way to help I bet someone else here can.
I hated math all throughout my early education (through high school). Then, when I got to college, I met a math professor who was passionate about mathematics. His passion for concepts and formulas was contagious, I caught his passion, and I became TA and class tutor. It was his passion that helped me realize my own. NEVER doubt or underestimate the powerful influence your passions can have upon someone who is eager to discover their own. I'm less in love with math now, but for me, that man will forever be a signpost pointing in a good direction. Do I use the math very often? Honestly - no. But I do often refer to the other valuable lessons he taught me.
(July 23, 2014 at 2:31 pm)whateverist Wrote: I haven't taught any substantial geometry in .. forever .. but I've just worked through the units on congruence and similarity. (Both are pretty cool.) So what's the problem? If I don't find a way to help I bet someone else here can.

It's a problem involving triangles and angles, the 3 types of triangles and drawing one as required. I don't remember much of this from basic school so I can't help her but it seems like a simple problem. I didn't even have maths on highschool
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Watched the video. And I kinda agree with the conclusions.

When I was in high school I scored straight A's at math at some point. But I didn't like it, so I tried dropping it. My parents agreed with me...
The school however didn't. First I got invited for some talks, they called my parents, and when that didn't work they just - accidentally - listed me for math. If I didn't show up, I'd get punished :S My grades dropped like crazy, and not only the math ones.
This joke cost me a year of my life and a lot of friends. And the thing was: I knew why my grades were so high in math, and I knew it was not because I had any special math abilities. All that had happened was that I stopped to try to understand - why - math is the way it is, and approach it in a more pragmatic way: Just learn to recognize the patterns in the exercise and remember the steps you have to take to get to the correct answer.

On the other hand I have a friend who teaches geography. Over here that subject involves sociology, anthropology and it takes the kids into psychics and cosmology. On the latter subjects he uses comics he draws himself to get them involved. He told me he started doing it because most of the stuff he teaches can be shared in the form of stories... Except the physics. So he started making stories out of it himself.
I dunno if the Piaget scale still is valid. The abstraction capacity needed comes with age. I doubled my respect for you whateverist, keep teaching math. Its an inglorious job, as everyone hates the math teacher Big Grin

Keep at it and refine your art.
(July 23, 2014 at 2:43 pm)Bibliofagus Wrote: Watched the video. And I kinda agree with the conclusions.

That's okay. I kind of do too. I mean lots of teachers enjoy the subject they teach but they don't all get the opportunity to inflict it on everyone whether they want it or not. While a certain level of being able to use math appropriately is important for everyone, that probably gets covered by the end of elementary school.

Of course, and especially here in the states, the argument against letting kids opt out is that the kids with the least support and wherewithal at home would be the ones opting out. So we'd basically be serving to maintain the status quo and doing nothing to give anyone a leg up.

There is plenty to say about why someone might like higher math, but that's true about lots of subjects. Well, I'm close to retirement and frankly won't miss answering the question of when are we ever going to need this.
If set A belongs to the set of all sets that it doesn't belong, what is it?
I think that if you allow kids to opt out of math.... 99.99% of them will opt out.
Most schools will have no reason to employ a full-time math teacher and the profession will decline and decline.... and future generations will grow up without knowing how to solve an equation... without knowing what an equation is... a function... how to properly add and subtract fractions...
There are a lot of things we have no professional use for, indeed.... but we learn a certain terminology which we then apply in other areas and can draw some parallels.

Also, with no math teacher around, those who would opt-in, would most likely have to move to where there still are math teachers... and how many families have the willingness and finance to do that?

I think you should never give the kids the option to opt-out. They'll miss out on way too much.
This "choice" thing... give kids the ability to chose what they want to learn... reminds me of two TED talks I heard today:
http://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_..._of_choice
and
https://www.ted.com/talks/sheena_iyengar...f_choosing

hmmm.... kids don't want to choose.

Keep teaching them math.
We are living in a technological era which involves lots of numbers and it's good to have an idea of how to manipulate them to get useful information out of it...
eg.: 1080p, 16:9.... how many pixels are in your FullHD tv?

eg.2: 12Mpixel camera, 4:3 frame... how many rows of pixels are in this frame?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Math game Fake Messiah 47 3187 October 14, 2023 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  [Serious] What are your overall opinions on people who are idiots in math? Gentle_Idiot 41 5285 December 18, 2022 at 11:02 am
Last Post: polymath257
  I hate math Woah0 5 1022 September 25, 2022 at 5:10 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Math problem that is driving the Internet crazy GrandizerII 49 6924 April 27, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  Explain the Math - Must Be Rocket Scientist to Participate. T0 Th3 M4X 13 1904 December 3, 2018 at 7:21 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Can you cut a cake fairly to solve this middle school math problem? Whateverist 82 13687 August 7, 2017 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Why Do You Like Math? Kernel Sohcahtoa 33 5905 February 5, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Great math interaction site for "beginners" (algebra, geometry, even calculus) GrandizerII 3 1460 October 20, 2016 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Can you solve this 6th grade math problem? pocaracas 52 10794 August 15, 2016 at 10:03 am
Last Post: wiploc
  Math suggestions Heat 25 5335 January 3, 2016 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain