Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quantum Physics: Questions
Quantum Physics: Questions
I am trying to understand the Atheistic view of Quantum Physics. I noticed some post threads here already, but I have not read through them yet. I have read a lot of stuff that is really odd to me. What are some youtube channels and articles or websites that can help me gather more information on the atheistic view of Quantum Physics?

A main issue that bothers me is the double slit experiment and the change in results because of mere observation.

For example, isn't matter around the photon "observing" it? Why does a "conscious" observer change a result but a non-conscious observer does not affect the result?
RE: Quantum Physics: Questions
ALL views of quantum physics are, by their very nature, atheistic.

Is there a Bahai view of gravity? Of continental drift? Of heliotropism in plants? These things are science, and science is atheistic in the purest sense of the word.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
That's not my question. Where can I find explanations of QM without the mumbo-jumbo of "an observer" consciously affecting the result of the double-slit experiment?

What does "observation" mean? Does observation mean shining light on the photon or does observation NOT involve shining light on the photon?
Google, youtube, search the key words, you'll find answers.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(July 23, 2014 at 7:30 pm)logicalreason Wrote: I am trying to understand the Atheistic view of Quantum Physics. I noticed some post threads here already, but I have not read through them yet. I have read a lot of stuff that is really odd to me. What are some youtube channels and articles or websites that can help me gather more information on the atheistic view of Quantum Physics?

A main issue that bothers me is the double slit experiment and the change in results because of mere observation.

For example, isn't matter around the photon "observing" it? Why does a "conscious" observer change a result but a non-conscious observer does not affect the result?

First off, there is no athiestic view of Quantum Physics. There is only the scientific view of Quantum Physics and Woo Woo.

Second, I don't know how a conscious observer change the results. If a conscious observer can change the expirement, than the observations would be different depending on who did.
(July 23, 2014 at 7:41 pm)logicalreason Wrote: That's not my question. Where can I find explanations of QM without the mumbo-jumbo of "an observer" consciously affecting the result of the double-slit experiment?

So, you want explanations of quantum mechanics without addressing the probabilistic nature of QM? Sorry, but that sort of like asking, 'Where can I find a book about tropical fish that doesn't include all that mumbo-jumbo about water?'

I've got nothing against your faith particularly (I find all religions equally silly), but in this instance, you're no better than a Pentecostal who denies evolution: You don't want explanations of what IS, you want explanations that fit comfortably with what your faith makes you believe. In other words, 'Leave out the uncomfortable bits and dumb the whole thing down so I can say I accept it without betraying what I think God wants me to think.'

So, you aren't really interested in science at all, are you?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 23, 2014 at 7:41 pm)logicalreason Wrote: That's not my question. Where can I find explanations of QM without the mumbo-jumbo of "an observer" consciously affecting the result of the double-slit experiment?

What does "observation" mean? Does observation mean shining light on the photon or does observation NOT involve shining light on the photon?

This is a good start

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hba...um/qm.html
(July 23, 2014 at 7:49 pm)Surgenator Wrote: Second, I don't know how a conscious observer change the results. If a conscious observer can change the expirement, than the observations would be different depending on who did.

Thanks. This is the kind of info I was looking for.

Do you know if light shines on the photon when "the observation" is made?

(July 23, 2014 at 7:48 pm)Blackout Wrote: Google, youtube, search the key words, you'll find answers.

Easier said than done. There is a lot of bad material on QP and QM on the internet.
(July 23, 2014 at 7:37 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Is there a Bahai view of gravity?
Yes

Quote:Of continental drift?
Yes

Quote:Of heliotropism in plants?
Yes.

Wait for it.......waaaaaait for it..........

GODDIDIT!

Quote:Pentecostal who denies evolution:
I could direct you to some Baha'i ID, but I'm guessing you'd rather pluck out your eyes.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'm also over at the Physicsforums as "bahai" and I have gotten some great answers there about this topic. The duality of wave and particle of photons is likely a mistake (as seen in many youtube videos), because there is one theory that explains all of it. The duality is a mistake that is found in many text books because it is difficult explaining QM to laymen.

The philosophical stuff you see about QM is all really just interpretation, interpretation that the actual physicists working on the math aren't interested in themselves.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nerd alert! -more spooky Quantum stuff ignoramus 49 3713 November 28, 2020 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Physics Puzzle onlinebiker 32 2078 July 21, 2020 at 4:07 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Physics questions ignoramus 21 1890 May 9, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  More Quantum entanglement mind fuckery ignoramus 20 2805 December 9, 2018 at 6:15 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Quantum Physics Craziness! LadyForCamus 19 1848 October 12, 2017 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Physics of Guinness thesummerqueen 23 7496 September 2, 2017 at 8:25 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Does Physics now have a complete description of Nature? Jehanne 32 4414 April 10, 2017 at 11:14 am
Last Post: dyresand
  I have a layman's theory about quantum physics "spookiness" Won2blv 15 2727 March 5, 2017 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Won2blv
  SMASH Theory Claims to Solve 5 Major Questions of Physics AFTT47 0 1239 February 20, 2017 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Quantum tunnelling for space travel... Iroscato 8 2953 November 22, 2016 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Whateverist