Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesus and the money changers
Jesus and the money changers
Jesus seemed quite put out over the money changers at the temple, pretty much his only act of violence, curiously.

However, in Matthew 19, when asked about the 10 Commandments;

18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

In view of that, I am hard pressed to see where the money changers were screwing up. Am I missing something, or is Jesus, for lack of a better term, inconsistent ?
RE: Jesus and the money changers
I don't think he cared about what they were doing but rather where they were doing it.
Jesus was pissed at the money changers because they were selling imperfect sacrificial animals as if they were whole and clean. In effect, they were stealing by selling shoddy goods at premium prices.
(July 24, 2014 at 11:54 am)vorlon13 Wrote: In view of that, I am hard pressed to see where the money changers were screwing up. Am I missing something, or is Jesus, for lack of a better term, inconsistent ?
Well this event appears in all 4 gospels, so it very likely did happen. He accuses them of thieving, so whether this was by extortion, or simply by occupying the only space accessible to the unclean is unclear. The second explanation in my mind is favourable since they could provide services outside the temple.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
That's not what the big book of heavenly horseshit says.

Quote:12 Jesus entered the temple courts and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves. 13 “It is written,” he said to them, “‘My house will be called a house of prayer,’[e] but you are making it ‘a den of robbers.’[f]”

Matty 21

No, the money changers served an important purpose. Far more important than any fucking jesus!

http://plim.org/1Moneychangers%20in%20the%20Temple.htm

Quote:The moneychangers served an important function within the temple. They exchanged a person's foreign coins for a fee into coins that were acceptable within the temple. In many ways they were similar to a currency translation in foreign countries where foreigners have to translate their currency for a fee into the currency of the country they are visiting.

Only the half-shekel coin of the temple was allowed as atonement money, which the priests in the temple used. Those Jews coming from foreign lands with foreign currency or those that had Roman coins had to have these coins changed by the moneychangers. This was one of the largest revenues for the temple.

This is an artificial quarrel set up by the gospel writers who were doing their best to make the jews look bad.

Besides, the Court of the Gentiles was one of the outer areas of the temple and literally meant that non-jews could freely enter it.
(July 24, 2014 at 12:56 pm)Aractus Wrote: Well this event appears in all 4 gospels, so it very likely did happen. He accuses them of thieving, so whether this was by extortion, or simply by occupying the only space accessible to the unclean is unclear. The second explanation in my mind is favourable since they could provide services outside the temple.

How did this actually happen? What were the logistics?

The Temple was 35 acres filled with livestock, vendors and money changers. There were also many Roman guards scattered around. Just to give you an idea, 35 acres is about the size of 26 American football fields.

So, just how is it possible that Jesus walked into the Temple, filled with guards, livestock, tables of other vendors, and drove out the money changers?

Also, wouldn't the money changers have their own guards to protect the money?

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(July 24, 2014 at 2:21 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:
(July 24, 2014 at 12:56 pm)Aractus Wrote: Well this event appears in all 4 gospels, so it very likely did happen. He accuses them of thieving, so whether this was by extortion, or simply by occupying the only space accessible to the unclean is unclear. The second explanation in my mind is favourable since they could provide services outside the temple.

How did this actually happen? What were the logistics?

The Temple was 35 acres filled with livestock, vendors and money changers. There were also many Roman guards scattered around. Just to give you an idea, 35 acres is about the size of 26 American football fields.

So, just how is it possible that Jesus walked into the Temple, filled with guards, livestock, tables of other vendors, and drove out the money changers?

Also, wouldn't the money changers have their own guards to protect the money?

Well, the presence of Roman guards at least doesn't make it unbelievable--if I recall correctly, this was his final public act before they had him executed. So, that sort of disruption (assuming his followers joined in the racket)-- coupled with their proclamation that he was their equivalent to Caesar and assumption that he would lead the revolt that ushered in God's kingdom-- seems like sufficient cause for executing him by the manner they did, which was a punishment reserved for the worst of the worst, and included political adversaries.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
I am unaware of any historical reference to Roman 'guards' at the fucking temple.

Why would they be there? To inflame the locals? There was a small Roman garrison at the Antonia Fortress near the temple. Close enough.
(July 24, 2014 at 2:21 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: How did this actually happen? What were the logistics?

Like Santy Claus delivering all those presents?

Or perhaps just a token money-changer-ass-whuppin'? Like painting a bridge, you clear out one money-changer, get on to the next and the next, and before you know it, the first money-changer is right back in there. Gots to start all over.

At least in my money-changer-ass-whuppin' experience.
(July 24, 2014 at 2:27 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: Well, the presence of Roman guards at least doesn't make it unbelievable--if I recall correctly, this was his final public act before they had him executed. So, that sort of disruption (assuming his followers joined in the racket)-- coupled with their proclamation that he was their equivalent to Caesar and assumption that he would lead the revolt that ushered in God's kingdom-- seems like sufficient cause for executing him by the manner they did, which was a punishment reserved for the worst of the worst, and included political adversaries.

I might be misremembering this, but I think it's the Synoptic Gospels that place this alleged event near the end of Jesus' life, while John places it earlier in his career.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Money raising through child work Der/die AtheistIn 12 3324 December 11, 2017 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. vorlon13 14 3070 August 1, 2017 at 2:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  A Love and Money question mcolafson 10 1944 September 26, 2016 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: mcolafson
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7198 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Where Is All My Grandma's Money Going? lezbehonest 21 3546 July 29, 2014 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Fetuses are people. Unless it costs the church money popeyespappy 31 11406 February 9, 2013 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Give all your money to the poor, and follow me. CapnAwesome 46 17525 December 18, 2012 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  "In any crime - follow the money" Minimalist 9 4276 September 29, 2012 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Waste of time and money. Damn Christians. frankiej 7 2830 June 18, 2011 at 1:24 pm
  Jesus the Spiritual Warrior vs Jesus the Sacrificial Lamb Dosaiah 8 7371 December 5, 2010 at 2:47 pm