Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 11:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If beauty doesn't require God, why should morality? (Bite me Dr. Craig.)
If beauty doesn't require God, why should morality? (Bite me Dr. Craig.)
If beauty can be explained in terms of evolution, why not morality and ethics? The idea expressed by Christian apologists that morality only makes sense if you can ground it in an objective source for oughts looks lame when applied to beauty. What would we say? That beauty only exists if what we claim to be beautiful is deemed so by an objectively infallible judge of beauty? Psssh.

http://youtu.be/PktUzdnBqWI
RE: If beauty doesn't require God, why should morality? (Bite me Dr. Craig.)
(July 24, 2014 at 12:29 pm)whateverist Wrote: The idea expressed by Christian apologists that morality only makes sense if you can ground it in an objective source ...

God is not an objective source, by definition.

"Objective", by definition, means independent of any being's opinions or judgments. This remains the definition no matter how powerful, wise or benevolent the said being might be.

That's just the tip of the iceberg of problems with this line of thinking.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(July 24, 2014 at 12:44 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote:
(July 24, 2014 at 12:29 pm)whateverist Wrote: The idea expressed by Christian apologists that morality only makes sense if you can ground it in an objective source ...

God is not an objective source, by definition.

"Objective", by definition, means independent of any being's opinions or judgments. This remains the definition no matter how powerful, wise or benevolent the said being might be.

That's just the tip of the iceberg of problems with this line of thinking.

Hadn't thought about it that way. Excellent point.
Only a retard will think only with god humans can possess morality.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Okay, I'm not supporting God or speaking against the idea of evolution in general.

However, I DO have a problem with some evolutionary approaches-- they are often based on what I'd call a "plausible narrative" rather than actual science. Some narratives are so compelling that you'd almost call them obvious: like giraffes growing longer necks because they are competing for foliage high in trees. The problem is that a smart person can make a plausible narrative about absolutely anything, and then convince himself that this narrative represents reality: "OCD exists because during early human development, ____."

Is this really different, though, than a Greek theist who made what he thought was a plausible description of how things in our world were created by gods?
Well it is in the sense that it is a plausible NATURAL account. Still speculative but at least no woo.
(July 24, 2014 at 1:23 pm)Blackout Wrote: Only a retard will think only with god humans can possess morality.

It is a simpler explanation, just to say God-Verb-It and be done with the search. We can simply plug all the gaps in our knowledge with GodWillsIt, GodWantsIt, GodDidIt, GodDoesIt, GodIsIt, etc. but it just ends up being a vapid bare assertion and argument from ignorance that does nothing to elucidate our understanding of anything.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(July 24, 2014 at 6:52 pm)whateverist Wrote: Well it is in the sense that it is a plausible NATURAL account. Still speculative but at least no woo.

I think it's dangerous to start taking made-up ideas, of any kind, and taking them as reality if they are not provable or disprovable. It doesn't take much for science to become "Science," and for the authority of Scientists to usurp the good methodology of actual scientists. I think scientists have a reponsibility to stick to actual evidence, and to develop ideas that can be confirmed or disproven using scientific methodology. Saying, "I can make a story about how cavemen needed religion, therefore religion is an evolved trait" is not substantially different from "I can make a story that God visited cavemen, therefore God guided human development."

The problem is that while you can dig up bones, and maybe even DNA, you can't dig up subjective experiences like "beauty" or "morality."
Many things in our life will never be properly explained by science.
It's just the nature of our being.
But we can still apply critical thought, reason with a good dose of common sense to try to explain what is inherently subjective without the need to resort to explanations far more unfeasible.

Basically, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it usually is a duck. This is where evolution shines and "god" sucks at explaining.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 24, 2014 at 11:00 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Basically, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it usually is a duck. This is where evolution shines and "god" sucks at explaining.

Okay, let's take the example of consciousness. Is evolution a better explanation of why there is consciousness rather than nothing like it? EVEN IF consciousness has evolved, it doesn't explain why there is such a thing as qualia at all. Our quacking duck only tells us that there are ducks which quack (to abuse your metaphor badly).

The main philosophical problem with evolution is that it requires a framework. If there is consciousness, it can only evolve in a framework which has the capacity for consciousness. So the question is this: did a framework which has the capacity for consciousness "just happen," or is there an intrinsic connection between reality and the capacity for consciousness?

I think the latter makes more sense: consciousness is not an accident, but is intrinsic to the nature of reality. That's not to say all things are conscious, but to say that the framework in which we exist could not work without that capacity. It seems strange to me that such a framework could arise out of a parent system that didn't also include that capacity.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 1883 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 10345 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 37479 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1343 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8312 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3559 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4445 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
  Morality WinterHold 24 2877 November 1, 2017 at 1:36 pm
  What is morality? Mystic 48 6935 September 3, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Morality from the ground up bennyboy 66 10954 August 4, 2017 at 5:42 pm