Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Formal debate challenge
Formal debate challenge
I have noticed that we havent had a good debate thread in a very long time, and I would like to challenge any willing christian here too a debate on the bible, we can discuss and agree on the exact wording of the topic when I find a willing opponent, but I make one request. To whom ever takes up this I want you to very clearly and accurately state what your beliefs are regarding the bible, as they vary alot. In fairness I will state my beliefs now.
I am a atheist that does not posit that god(s) does not exist but rather that this is not enough evidence to support a valid claim and that the bible is simply a collecion of mythological stories penned by the hebrews and early christians for various purposes and edited and redacted to meet the needs of later generations.

I hope I'm not being a pretentious ass hat here and I look forward to a awesome debate.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: Formal debate challenge
(July 28, 2014 at 3:43 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: I have noticed that we havent had a good debate thread in a very long time, and I would like to challenge any willing christian here too a debate on the bible, we can discuss and agree on the exact wording of the topic when I find a willing opponent, but I make one request. To whom ever takes up this I want you to very clearly and accurately state what your beliefs are regarding the bible, as they vary alot. In fairness I will state my beliefs now.
I am a atheist that does not posit that god(s) does not exist but rather that this is not enough evidence to support a valid claim and that the bible is simply a collecion of mythological stories penned by the hebrews and early christians for various purposes and edited and redacted to meet the needs of later generations.

I hope I'm not being a pretentious ass hat here and I look forward to a awesome debate.
You aren't being a pretentious ass hat - but I didn't join this site to debate you or anyone else here. Maybe someone else will take you up on your challenge.
Whether you choose to believe it's authenticity or not, the Old Testament is a history book of the Israelite people, the Gospels are the words of Jesus Christ, which very few "Christians" actually attempt to follow, and the last book is a prophecy of a time still to come about the rise of a dictator and the effects of WWIII - the ending of the 6th day of Creation, which has lasted for several billion years, and the beginning of the 7th Day - When God rests.
WHY do I believe the Bible? - Because I do.
(July 28, 2014 at 5:16 pm)John S Wrote:
(July 28, 2014 at 3:43 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: I have noticed that we havent had a good debate thread in a very long time, and I would like to challenge any willing christian here too a debate on the bible, we can discuss and agree on the exact wording of the topic when I find a willing opponent, but I make one request. To whom ever takes up this I want you to very clearly and accurately state what your beliefs are regarding the bible, as they vary alot. In fairness I will state my beliefs now.

You aren't being a pretentious ass hat - but I didn't join this site to debate you or anyone else here. Maybe someone else will take you up on your challenge.
Whether you choose to believe it's authenticity or not, the Old Testament is a history book of the Israelite people, the Gospels are the words of Jesus Christ, which very few "Christians" actually attempt to follow, and the last book is a prophecy of a time still to come about the rise of a dictator and the effects of WWIII - the ending of the 6th day of Creation, which has lasted for several billion years, and the beginning of the 7th Day - When God rests.
WHY do I believe the Bible? - Because I do.

I admit I haven't seen you here before so welcome . A Christian like you cpouild go a long way around here presuming you make quality posts like above.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Quote:Whether you choose to believe it's authenticity or not, the Old Testament is a history book of the Israelite people,

The OT is a pile of shit.
(July 28, 2014 at 5:16 pm)John S Wrote: WHY do I believe the Bible? - Because I do.

You're an Eagles fan for fuck's sake, meaning you're likely to put your faith in any pile of shit.
(July 28, 2014 at 5:16 pm)John S Wrote: WHY do I believe the Bible? - Because I do.

I guess idiocy more strident than those spouted by the likes of Rev can be found amongst christians. Even my opinion of christains seem to still have been too high.
Quote:WHY do I believe the Bible? - Because I do.

Naturally, you're entitled to believe anything you like. However, 'Because I do' isn't a good or sufficient reason to believe anything.

If you aren't willing to debate anyone here about anything, then maybe this isn't the right board for you (read the rules). This forum is - by and large - a place for the give and take of ideas. If you simply came here to state your position, insist that this position is true, and refuse to answer questions regarding those positions, what you're doing is preaching, which is expressly forbidden.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Why do I believe I'm God's gift to women?

Because I do.

Can't agree without knowing the topic, but in general I'm game. I believe the autographs of the Biblical books were the inspired word of god. I interpret different passages based on the style and context. For example, I would take a passage written in a historical narrative style to be literally true, unless context indicated otherwise. I'm a YEC.
Oh god god, I hope we don't get a YEC debate, talk about low hanging fruit. Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religious debate via Meme Foxaèr 324 53362 November 12, 2018 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  A critical thinking challenge Foxaèr 18 4193 June 15, 2018 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Drich
  A challenge to anyone I guess! Mystic 27 5075 June 10, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Debate: God & Morality: William Lane Craig vs Erik Wielenberg Jehanne 16 3351 March 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Debate: God Exists Azu 339 54794 March 31, 2017 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Liberalism's Great Challenge? Minimalist 20 3259 September 10, 2016 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  A challenge to any and all religions collectively. Brian37 24 4451 May 2, 2016 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Should we be following scholars debate. Mystic 14 3230 March 23, 2016 at 1:04 am
Last Post: The Atheist
  Debate between me, myself and I! Mystic 22 5169 January 4, 2016 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  The Greatest Challenge to Atheists Ever The Valkyrie 32 6636 October 19, 2015 at 9:36 am
Last Post: loganonekenobi