Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to reconcile a theist's position?
How to reconcile a theist's position?
Hi all,

I'd like your views on the following:
1. Theists are perfectly reasonable, or at least act like that. They tend to agree that it is better to b at a bus stop before the bus is due. Makes sense.
2. Theists demand explanations. If they are fined, they would like to know why they are fined and what evidence is their to their guilt. They qustion and try to think of alternative motives: "I was speeding becaus I was hurrying to my dying father." <- a theist would have no problem in inventing this, because he/she reasons that puts some presupposed reason for authority action at doubt (like, he/she might get a way with it, because he/she knows this is an unfalisfiable claim, which is the very reason it might work). Even if just as an exercise.
3. WHen their reasoning is about to be exploited, they can tell. You won't easily fool a theist into giving you money (or at least not without a God argument). They will at least want to make sure they really owe you.
4. Yet they are theists. Do Christians actually believe Jesus made more fish out of fish and no one noticed how? Yes. Do they doubt that? No. Why?

How can one be a coherent person given this duality? When it's just right along their path to say - "Well, there is exactly one such documented case. Is it possible the witness got it wrong?" But they don't do that. Why don't they do that?
RE: How to reconcile a theist's position?
Ever met a reasonable person in love with an SOB whom they refer to a "sweetie pie?" The human mind is very good at constructing water-tight compartments.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Sure, but is there a lack in pattern observing as such? You claim this is rather a choice of not pursuing such match rather than the inability to do so. Is it a conscious choice?
(July 30, 2014 at 7:32 pm)lwlodarczyk Wrote: Sure, but is there a lack in pattern observing as such? You claim this is rather a choice of not pursuing such match rather than the inability to do so. Is it a conscious choice?

Depends on the Christian. But anyone who talks of a leap of faith, has made a conscious choice. Anyone who says I've just always been a Christian has made an unconscious choice. Anyone who says I've found Jesus in my heart is self deluded.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(July 30, 2014 at 7:11 pm)lwlodarczyk Wrote:

Typically, the causes are childhood indoctrination, peer pressure and/or the desire to remain part of a social network. Simple statements with profound repercussions.
Sum ergo sum
Why does someone who requires tremendous amount of evidence when buying a car, requires non to believe in a god? I can't get tired of using this phrase, because it's a variant or rationality I cannot grasp
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(July 30, 2014 at 7:11 pm)lwlodarczyk Wrote: Hi all,

I'd like your views on the following:
1. Theists are perfectly reasonable, or at least act like that. They tend to agree that it is better to b at a bus stop before the bus is due. Makes sense.
2. Theists demand explanations. If they are fined, they would like to know why they are fined and what evidence is their to their guilt. They qustion and try to think of alternative motives: "I was speeding becaus I was hurrying to my dying father." <- a theist would have no problem in inventing this, because he/she reasons that puts some presupposed reason for authority action at doubt (like, he/she might get a way with it, because he/she knows this is an unfalisfiable claim, which is the very reason it might work). Even if just as an exercise.
3. WHen their reasoning is about to be exploited, they can tell. You won't easily fool a theist into giving you money (or at least not without a God argument). They will at least want to make sure they really owe you.
4. Yet they are theists. Do Christians actually believe Jesus made more fish out of fish and no one noticed how? Yes. Do they doubt that? No. Why?

How can one be a coherent person given this duality? When it's just right along their path to say - "Well, there is exactly one such documented case. Is it possible the witness got it wrong?" But they don't do that. Why don't they do that?

I wonder the same thing.

Most people are coherent. Many are just so busy to question authority. Like most Americans are coherent but yet we accept these sickies passing a 17 trillion dollar debt to our kids. There is absolutely little reason to associated a "personality type" to a belief system. Example: weirdeo tree-eo hugger types are weird. They are weird if they believe and they are weird if they are atheist.

Same goes for assholes and cowboys.
(July 30, 2014 at 7:11 pm)lwlodarczyk Wrote: How can one be a coherent person given this duality?

Jenny A pretty much covered it when she hinted at Compartmentalization. People do weird things to avoid cognitive dissonance.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is a theist other then the basic definition? Quill01 4 714 August 1, 2022 at 11:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Theist with Questions RBP3280 57 2616 April 1, 2022 at 6:14 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Dating / Married To Theist wolf39us 23 2801 April 8, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  You're a theist against immigration? Foxaèr 54 9147 July 9, 2018 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A serious question for the theist. Foxaèr 18 2995 May 9, 2018 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Stupid theist tricks........ Brian37 6 1867 April 29, 2018 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Foxaèr 13 3616 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  How do religious folks reconcile violent concepts in "peaceful" Abrahamic religions? AceBoogie 57 10865 April 28, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 22190 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Theist Posters: Why do you believe your God exists? SuperSentient 65 14465 March 15, 2017 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Cyberman