Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 6:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selling off the Family Silver
Selling off the Family Silver
http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2014...on-recedes

Interesting short article about what various churches are doing as they face closure due to nationwide declines of attendance in almost all western states.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
RE: Selling off the Family Silver
Small to medium churches are getting smaller and the mega churches are getting bigger. http://www.christianitytoday.com/edstetz...paging=off
Where do you think the numbers come from?
The NS article actually deals with figures and stats from European states.

To my knowledge, at least in the UK, there are no such things as mega-churches (defined normatively), and I don't think there ever will be.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I love going to churches and I'm a western.....

But not for praying of course, I enjoy the architecture and learning about the historical meaning of churches I visit. Just like going to an ancient castle that belonged to a king doesn't make me a monarch.

Now on a more serious note, how many believers will there be in europe in, let's say, 10 or 20 years?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(July 31, 2014 at 8:28 am)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: The NS article actually deals with figures and stats from European states.

To my knowledge, at least in the UK, there are no such things as mega-churches (defined normatively), and I don't think there ever will be.

Every day I find myself wondering why I haven't moved.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(July 31, 2014 at 9:05 am)Losty Wrote:
(July 31, 2014 at 8:28 am)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: The NS article actually deals with figures and stats from European states.

Every day I find myself wondering why I haven't moved.

There are Cathedrals certainly and mega churches as buildings, but not organizations Tongue I think churches should be well preserved as historical monuments, I love going inside them as a tourist
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(July 31, 2014 at 9:10 am)Blackout Wrote: There are Cathedrals certainly and mega churches as buildings, but not organizations Tongue I think churches should be well preserved as historical monuments, I love going inside them as a tourist

I am with you there Blackout, I have been in some lovely old churches. St Brides in Fleet Street London is a good one I visited recently. Under the floor is the remains of a Roman church 2000 years old that was uncovered when a bomb hit in WW2. The sense of human history is awe inspiring down there.
Just even that old musty church smell gives me a history hard-on. Cool Shades
It's not immoral to eat meat, abort a fetus or love someone of the same sex...I think that about covers it
(July 31, 2014 at 8:15 am)Drich Wrote: Small to medium churches are getting smaller and the mega churches are getting bigger.

Where do you think the numbers come from?
...it's almost as if christianity is... a... business model?!?
Sum ergo sum
(July 31, 2014 at 9:23 am)vodkafan Wrote:
(July 31, 2014 at 9:10 am)Blackout Wrote: There are Cathedrals certainly and mega churches as buildings, but not organizations Tongue I think churches should be well preserved as historical monuments, I love going inside them as a tourist

I am with you there Blackout, I have been in some lovely old churches. St Brides in Fleet Street London is a good one I visited recently. Under the floor is the remains of a Roman church 2000 years old that was uncovered when a bomb hit in WW2. The sense of human history is awe inspiring down there.
Just even that old musty church smell gives me a history hard-on. Cool Shades

The Vatican is a beautiful peaceful place to visit and St Peter's Church is very nice on the inside, worth my time. I'm still looking forward to going to Notre Dame Cathedral

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Natural family planning LinuxGal 75 7345 January 1, 2023 at 10:30 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  how to get kicked off a christian forum Drich 61 8428 April 30, 2020 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: no one
  Christian family fined after arguing taxes 'against God's will' zebo-the-fat 19 2093 July 23, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 2757 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Disappointing my family Der/die AtheistIn 9 1751 December 23, 2017 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
Sad My parents have gone off the deep end Tea Earl Grey Hot 25 6068 March 8, 2017 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  Mother Marches Through Target With Her Family To Protest Transgender Bathroom Policy" TubbyTubby 6 1676 May 17, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: abaris
  How would you suggest going about dealing with an ignorant extended family member GoHalos1993 21 3723 January 1, 2016 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Catholic Church is selling over 400 properties in Atlantic Canada. Lemonvariable72 45 11766 August 25, 2015 at 4:17 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Fuck Off, Xtians! Minimalist 94 20606 July 27, 2015 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink