Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moral standards
Moral standards
In an atheist world, where do the standards by which moral actions are measured come from?
". . . let the atheists themselves choose a god. They will find only one divinity who ever uttered their isolation; only one religion in which God seemed for an instant to be an atheist." -G. K. Chesterton
RE: Moral standards
All people have moral standards in their roots.
You mean where do moral standards come from in this world? They "come from" people, where else?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 1, 2014 at 2:36 am)Baqal Wrote: All people have moral standards in their roots.

By "roots" you mean . . . ? They just know? Or from their family or how they were raised?

(August 1, 2014 at 2:37 am)Rhythm Wrote: You mean where do moral standards come from in this world? They "come from" people, where else?

So what happens when people disagree about something based on moral grounds?
". . . let the atheists themselves choose a god. They will find only one divinity who ever uttered their isolation; only one religion in which God seemed for an instant to be an atheist." -G. K. Chesterton
(August 1, 2014 at 2:24 am)GodsRevolt Wrote: In an atheist world, where do the standards by which moral actions are measured come from?

Same place Theists do, from society.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
@GodsRevolt
-By "roots" you mean . . . ? They just know? Or from their family or how they were raised?
Well, yes, environmental influence also takes in account. But I think all humans on Earth can come to a universal agreement about what's moral and what is not.
(August 1, 2014 at 2:46 am)GodsRevolt Wrote: So what happens when people disagree about something based on moral grounds?

Argument and evidence can be produced based on the reality we live in as to which moral stance produced the maximum benefit to conscious entities. It's exactly what you'd expect in a world without some unconnected law commander on high; a world where people don't get everything right immediately, but learn better moral values by reasoning them out.

A short look at our history shows that this is also the world we live in, surprisingly enough.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(August 1, 2014 at 3:05 am)Esquilax Wrote:
(August 1, 2014 at 2:46 am)GodsRevolt Wrote: So what happens when people disagree about something based on moral grounds?

Argument and evidence can be produced based on the reality we live in as to which moral stance produced the maximum benefit to conscious entities. It's exactly what you'd expect in a world without some unconnected law commander on high; a world where people don't get everything right immediately, but learn better moral values by reasoning them out.

A short look at our history shows that this is also the world we live in, surprisingly enough.

Maximum benefit?

Morality is based on the largest amount of gain? Such as killing one man to save a thousand?

What about killing one baby to save two elderly yet healthy people?

I think I am a bit leery of the the idea of "benefit" in morality.
Quote:So what happens when people disagree about something based on moral grounds?

Aunty Entity generally has us fight it out in the Thunderdome.

Honestly, when are your lot going to come up with an original question? This question has been answered about 10 000 times just on this forum. A quick perusal of atheist literature would have provided you with our position on morality and moral authority.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 1, 2014 at 2:53 am)Baqal Wrote: @GodsRevolt
-By "roots" you mean . . . ? They just know? Or from their family or how they were raised?
Well, yes, environmental influence also takes in account. But I think all humans on Earth can come to a universal agreement about what's moral and what is not.

What is the standard that they measure it by? Two people arguing a moral difficulty, what does the third person say, do, or show that ends the argument?

(August 1, 2014 at 2:52 am)Zen Badger Wrote:
(August 1, 2014 at 2:24 am)GodsRevolt Wrote: In an atheist world, where do the standards by which moral actions are measured come from?

Same place Theists do, from society.

If history had ended up differently and we all lived in a Nazi society, would that be moral society?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 7832 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 1813 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion stifles Moral Evolution Cecelia 107 15264 December 4, 2017 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Does religion expose the shortcomings of empathy based moral systems henryp 19 2409 December 2, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Creationist Moral Panic Amarok 15 5608 June 13, 2017 at 10:42 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  The Moral Argument for God athrock 211 37011 December 24, 2015 at 4:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  General question about the possibility of objective moral truth Michael Wald 63 12706 September 15, 2015 at 10:28 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Moral Compass Lakul 40 8000 April 6, 2015 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Spooky
Brick Atheist moral code Void 45 15654 March 24, 2015 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: I Am Not A Human Being
  Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wrong"? Tsun Tsu 326 64688 February 25, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: robvalue