Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is Christ's death considered a sacrifice?
Why is Christ's death considered a sacrifice?
Given that it's on topic with my other thread about the reason for the crucifixion, I'll bring this here:

Growing up Christian, the single most resounding things I heard was talk about "Christ's sacrifice". He died on the cross to save our sins. His sacrifice provided our salvation. What great love God showed through this sacrifice.

Now, this is often compared to lots of Old Testament sacrifices, where people had to set one of their goats on fire because God liked how it smelled. This makes sense to be classified as a sacrifice, because the goat herder had one less goat. Regardless of whether or not this goat burning made any sense or was necessary in the strictest sense is beside the point; it was a sacrifice.

So Jesus comes, spreads the good word, pisses off the people in charge, and is summarily executed. But then it's revealed that this death was a sacrifice and it was to atone for our sins. This is also why we don't have to burn goats anymore (does God still like how that smells?). The problem is, three days later, Jesus rose from the dead and eventually went up to heaven. This is constantly reaffirmed in Easter services every year. "He is risen! hallelujah!" and "Our God is a living God!" So, everyone accepts that he's not actually dead. How was that a sacrifice? Sure, he suffered for three days, and I'm sure that wasn't fun, but it was only a sacrifice in the sense that he sacrificed some of his happiness.

To go back to the whole goat thing, if the goat herders were told to immolate one of their goats, and three days later, it arose from the ashes no worse for the wear, it wouldn't be a sacrifice; it would be goat torture. So, did God save our sins by subjecting his son/avatar/himself to torture?

Creepy.
RE: Why is Christ's death considered a sacrifice?
This should be interesting:

Snacks
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(August 1, 2014 at 2:26 pm)RobbyPants Wrote: So, did God save our sins by subjecting his son/avatar/himself to torture?
Yes.
Again, the actions portrayed on the cross were a physical representation of the emotional/spiritual cost God went thought to pay for our sins. (So that we may have something of an understanding of the level of pain He went through.)
(August 1, 2014 at 2:54 pm)Drich Wrote: Again, the actions portrayed on the cross were a physical representation of the emotional/spiritual cost God went thought to pay for our sins. (So that we may have something of an understanding of the level of pain He went through.)
True. I can't wrap my head around what it means for a sinless being to be made sin. I can't grasp the magnitude of the loneliness of a being which had always known complete fellowship with others to now be alone. Another thing to consider is whether an omniscient being ever really forgets that pain.

BTW nice to see you again D! Big Grin
(August 1, 2014 at 2:54 pm)Drich Wrote: Again, the actions portrayed on the cross were a physical representation of the emotional/spiritual cost God went thought to pay for our sins. (So that we may have something of an understanding of the level of pain He went through.)

What cost? Hell for two-and-a-half days seems to be about the only thing I can see that he "paid".

(August 1, 2014 at 3:03 pm)alpha male Wrote: True. I can't wrap my head around what it means for a sinless being to be made sin.

Well, whatever it was, he got better, from all the sins of the world; however, each person having only one person's worth of sin gets to stay in hell forever. This all seems rather unbalanced and nonsensical.
To be resurrected, glorified beyond comprehension, seated at the right hand of the creator of reality. Is. Not. A. Sacrifice.
Well Robie if you don't like the price paid for you, and it is certainly your choice.
You can pay it yourself.
But why would you choose that?

The principle is, the soul that sins shall die.
That was spelled out in the first Covenant and the animals that were killed (prior to roasting) were a shadow and type and a temporary "Covering" for sin until God established the New and final Covenant paid for in His blood.

If you think His sacrifice was bogus- go to the first paragraph above.
(August 1, 2014 at 3:32 pm)RobbyPants Wrote: What cost? Hell for two-and-a-half days seems to be about the only thing I can see that he "paid".
Why isn't that a cost?
Quote:Well, whatever it was, he got better, from all the sins of the world; however, each person having only one person's worth of sin gets to stay in hell forever. This all seems rather unbalanced and nonsensical.
Unbalanced, yes, but that's what I would expect, comparing God to man. It's nonsensical to expect the two to be identical.

(August 1, 2014 at 3:44 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: To be resurrected, glorified beyond comprehension, seated at the right hand of the creator of reality. Is. Not. A. Sacrifice.
Correct - those things aren't sacrifice. The sacrifice part was taking the sins of the world upon himself and dying on the cross.
(August 1, 2014 at 3:46 pm)professor Wrote: Well Robie if you don't like the price paid for you, and it is certainly your choice.
You can pay it yourself.
How can you sensibly do that if someone just paid the price for you.

I may not have wanted my manager to buy me a drink, but I cannot undo the transaction once its done, now can I?

Have a nuclear war, manufacturer killer cyborgs, build a time machine and then terminate Jesus?

Unless of course, you're arguing from a slippery slope that he didn't die for everyone's sins.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To Atheists: Who, in your opinion, was Jesus Christ? JJoseph 50 1793 January 9, 2024 at 4:28 am
Last Post: no one
  The power of Christ... zwanzig 60 4022 August 30, 2023 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Jesus Christ is the Beast 666 Satan Emerald_Eyes_Esoteric 36 7866 December 18, 2022 at 10:33 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Creating Christ JML 26 3029 September 29, 2022 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  So has Christ returned TheClearCleanStuff 31 3143 May 20, 2022 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  CHRIST THE KICKER…… BrianSoddingBoru4 15 1389 January 3, 2022 at 10:00 am
Last Post: brewer
  CHRIST THE KILLER..... ronedee 31 3336 December 26, 2021 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 2746 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Consecrated virgins: 'I got married to Christ' zebo-the-fat 11 2009 December 7, 2018 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Are you following Trump or Christ? Foxaèr 13 1826 June 29, 2018 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13