Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clerics who lose their faith
Clerics who lose their faith
I used the word cleric as a collective for priests, vicars, imams, rabbis, whatever, those who preach and instruct religion.

There must be some number, maybe a substantial number, who have lost their faith, or part of it at least, and no longer believe what they're preaching. We don't have many of those posting here, I suppose, but I'd be interested to see what their stance is.

The moral position would be to quit and do something else, but after, say, a degree in theology and 20 years in a church you're not exactly going to walk into another job. OK, clerics aren't well paid - apart from US evangelists, I suppose - but still it's a safe job, so what do these people do? Carry on preaching what they now know as lies, or bite the bullet and quit?

Pragmatism versus morality.
RE: Clerics who lose their faith
Some just keep sprinkling the bullshit, it seems.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/letters-reve...as-secret/

Quote:But now, it has emerged that Mother Teresa was so doubtful of her own faith that she feared being a hypocrite, reports CBS News correspondent Mark Phillips.

In a new book that compiles letters she wrote to friends, superiors and confessors, her doubts are obvious.

Shortly after beginning work in Calcutta's slums, the spirit left Mother Teresa.

"Where is my faith?" she wrote. "Even deep down… there is nothing but emptiness and darkness... If there be God — please forgive me."
I've always thought that a lot of them probably lost their faith just because of funerals alone. I've never been to a funeral where the priest says that the person in the box is going to hell. I would think that for all the preaching of fire and brimstone as a punishment for sin, that even they have to question their faith in those moments, when they realize that every person they've sent off has been with the implication that they're going to heaven.
(August 3, 2014 at 3:32 pm)FlyingNarwhal Wrote: I've always thought that a lot of them probably lost their faith just because of funerals alone. I've never been to a funeral where the priest says that the person in the box is going to hell. . . . .

I have.
I've been to a Methodist wedding where the best man said the couple were going to hell.

People who are afraid of imaginary beings and imaginary places have a name; they're called children.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I hadn't thought of the funeral aspect, tbh. I suppose in some ways the thing can become like a PR exercise, marrying and burying people you know aren't believers, just because it's part of the job. Maybe eventually all the enthusiasm disappears and it just becomes a task which you do because you can't do anything else. Sad, really.
(August 3, 2014 at 2:45 pm)Diablo Wrote: I used the word cleric as a collective for priests, vicars, imams, rabbis, whatever, those who preach and instruct religion.

There must be some number, maybe a substantial number, who have lost their faith, or part of it at least, and no longer believe what they're preaching. We don't have many of those posting here, I suppose, but I'd be interested to see what their stance is.

The moral position would be to quit and do something else, but after, say, a degree in theology and 20 years in a church you're not exactly going to walk into another job. OK, clerics aren't well paid - apart from US evangelists, I suppose - but still it's a safe job, so what do these people do? Carry on preaching what they now know as lies, or bite the bullet and quit?

Pragmatism versus morality.

Have you heard of The Clergy Project?

"The Clergy Project is a confidential online community for active and former professional clergy/religious leaders who do not hold supernatural beliefs and are struggling with issues."

http://www.clergyproject.org/
Money, and convenience.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(August 3, 2014 at 4:36 pm)vorlon13 Wrote:
(August 3, 2014 at 3:32 pm)FlyingNarwhal Wrote: I've always thought that a lot of them probably lost their faith just because of funerals alone. I've never been to a funeral where the priest says that the person in the box is going to hell. . . . .

I have.

That's gotta be a very awkward funeral.
Try to imagine yourself in their shoe's. Your whole life, so far, dedicated to the salavtion of your fellow soul's. You would not shrink at the task, no end too far, no end unscoured, not a bridge too far etc etc. Now then, imagine a crisis of faith. Should you confess to your congregation, should you not only admit, but call into question the entire creed?
Nay, I think most Padre's would emphasise any good they could. No shame here.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3650 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1197 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 923 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 10652 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 11574 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  If I lose my soul, do I die? robvalue 37 4995 September 4, 2018 at 12:15 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Faith industry Graufreud 8 815 August 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My faith is on hold. Mystic 16 4158 May 3, 2018 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  This Will Cause Believers To Lose Their Shit Minimalist 36 8474 March 30, 2018 at 11:14 am
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Christians and Their Homework! chimp3 78 8980 March 6, 2018 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb