Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are all preachers dicks?
Are all preachers dicks?
In my worldview, jumping past solipsism, we perceive order in the universe. At least in the universe of our memories.
Some of that regularity can be isolated as self replicating subsets. I see myself as one of these, labeled 'human.' There are other possible groupings which vary in size and complexity from prions and viruses up to the biggest I know of which is global human culture.
Further observation of self replicating structures reveals common features like: mechanisms to propagate and spread, provision for increased variance to improve survival and reproduction in uncertain or changing environments where natural selection will cull the unfit.
In this context, religions compete for memory space in human brains using memes spread by, generally, human to human communication. Preachers are specialized structures who replicate and spread religious memes using, it seems, any scheme or scam available to them. Applying a human, biological metaphor, the preacher is an aggressively male reproductive organ of the religious super-organism. That is, in the vernacular, a dick.Big Grin

Comments?
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
RE: Are all preachers dicks?
I'll just add that the Catholic ones are particularly... unruly
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
Can anyone be a dick, atheist preachers, or who ever?.
Is there such thing as an atheist preacher? I don't know any atheists who go knocking door to door.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(August 3, 2014 at 5:33 pm)Blackout Wrote: Is there such thing as an atheist preacher? I don't know any atheists who go knocking door to door.

[Image: AtheistDoorCallers.jpg]
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I've always questioned if we could teach atheism at schools, I mean, what would we teach? just say 'hey kids don't believe in deities'? I think at most we could teach irreligion, and from irreligion atheism would arise
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(August 3, 2014 at 5:33 pm)Blackout Wrote: Is there such thing as an atheist preacher? I don't know any atheists who go knocking door to door.

They may not knock at your door, but they can still be dicks.
You don't need to teach atheism. You just need to teach critical thinking.
Everything else should fall into place.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Yes. They are.
(August 3, 2014 at 5:43 pm)psychoslice Wrote:

They may not knock at your door, but they can still be dicks.

Saying 'religion lacks evidence' is not being a dick, it's just reality... Sometimes theists think a mere critic is a persecution when it's not. Just because I point out flaws in your religion, that doesn't make me a dick, I don't hate you for believing.

I'm not a dick, I don't want to take away people's rights, but if they come preaching and annoying me, be ready for some heated up debate and a defeat.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 20769 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 12642 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  preachers on AF rant drfuzzy 44 7763 September 1, 2015 at 11:31 am
Last Post: thehedglin
  A Lack of Preachers? GodlessPlanetMusic 20 4182 December 5, 2013 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Something all theists should all keep in mind. Creed of Heresy 67 28193 September 30, 2012 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  Child Preachers BethK 17 8670 August 16, 2011 at 6:16 pm
Last Post: Judas BentHer