Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My "Fishies" Died
My "Fishies" Died
FB Post:

With the exception of betta fish, I have totally lost my trust in still water tanks! Ugh! Two shrimp, one plecostamus, and one African frog all past away by today! I don't understand. I used the right food, cleaned the tank 1 time since we bought them 4 days ago, used water stabilization tablets, and still they don't survive! Ugh...time to do more homework and invest in a tank equipped with pumps that oxygenate the water and circulate it. Sigh...RIP: Tik and Tok the shrimp, Gus the plecostamus, and Bob the African frog. May you all live on knowing we cared. Now to attend to our only survive, Hinata the Betta fish. I am so disappointed.

Didn't notice how impulsive I was to leave a "after life" reference. Woops...

Never the less, I am pretty irate. Anyone know enough marine biology to inform me on where I went wrong?

Well I guess not ocean (marine) but fresh water fish.
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
RE: My "Fishies" Died
What was the water temp before and after the change?
Do you own cats?

[Image: tdcOc.gif]
I had a whole pond of gold fish die mysteriously.(which I top up weekly)
A few weeks later, I read in our local paper that our towns water supply was overdosed with fluoride. And here I was fighting with the wife!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(August 4, 2014 at 12:08 am)Drich Wrote: What was the water temp before and after the change?

Oh man...my first mistake has been revealed. Is taking note of the temperature important? I had tried to match temperatures (by touch, not very accurate) before and after cleaning. I doubt I was off by too much. But should I be more matriculate in noting the temperature?

And it took about 12-24 hours for them to die after I had cleaned the tank.

(August 4, 2014 at 12:10 am)Minimalist Wrote: Do you own cats?

[Image: tdcOc.gif]

haha, no, no I do not. Tongue

(August 4, 2014 at 12:23 am)ignoramus Wrote: I had a whole pond of gold fish die mysteriously.(which I top up weekly)
A few weeks later, I read in our local paper that our towns water supply was overdosed with fluoride. And here I was fighting with the wife!

Awe, terrible! SD water can be the same. So I was sure to buy tablets to treat the water for that very issue. And they still died! :/
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
I feel sorry for you. My two fish lasted about 3-4 years each. They were both pretty funny things, they each had their own freaky behaviors.
I am sorry for your loss. Fish are friends, not food.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
RIP Glodie the big yellow koi in the pic below. She croaked Friday at the ripe old age of 14ish.

[Image: goldie.jpg]
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(August 4, 2014 at 12:03 am)Quantum1Connect Wrote: time to do more homework and invest in a tank equipped with pumps that oxygenate the water and circulate it.
^^^^^THIS!^^^^^
(bold added)
[Image: audno.jpg]

(August 4, 2014 at 2:11 am)popeyespappy Wrote: RIP Glodie the big yellow koi in the pic below. She croaked Friday at the ripe old age of 14ish.

[Image: audqn.jpg]
Massive temp swings can put tropical fish into shock. (Sometimes the recover sometimes they don't.) It is recommended that you transfer fish to a plastic bag/ziplock with the old water and then when the new water is ready put the bag in the new and let it come to the temp of the tank in an hours time. Then transfer the fish keeping the old water out of the new. This should be done any time you take a fish out of one ecosystem and place him in another. (Especially when you bring a new one home for the first time.) also if your going to get serious you might want to get some water test strips.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My uncle died from COVID19 today. Jehanne 17 1059 November 26, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Paul Allen has died.. Jackalope 7 619 October 16, 2018 at 10:32 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Granny died. Gawdzilla Sama 27 3673 August 26, 2018 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Omg, Avicii died *Deidre* 18 1256 April 21, 2018 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Linda Brown of Brown v. Board of Education died (76) Cecelia 2 561 March 27, 2018 at 6:46 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Just found out my stepmother died Foxaèr 13 2664 June 19, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  My best friends mom just died an hour ago. MJ the Skeptical 20 5610 July 15, 2014 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Henry hill has died. Oldandeasilyconfused 10 4813 June 19, 2012 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused