Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 8:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Celibacy - origins?
Celibacy - origins?
What are the origins of celibacy in catholic church?
I heard some stories that it was done for so that wife would't inherit anything or something like that not for the whole i'm doing this for god thing.
Anyone knows?
RE: Celibacy - origins?
(August 4, 2014 at 5:11 pm)athos123 Wrote: What are the origins of celibacy in catholic church?
To keep the men pure for the boys.
The origins had to do with priests giving away church property in their wills. Now it is a sad tradition they do not know how to let go. (Seeing how the pope(s) are living apstoles and do not make foolish mistakes.)

http://www.uscatholic.org/glad-you-asked...s-celibate
Deceiving spirits, perhaps demons. (1 Timothy 4:1-5)

If it could be proven beyond doubt that God exists...
and that He is the one spoken of in the Bible...
would you repent of your sins and place your faith in Jesus Christ?

(August 4, 2014 at 5:11 pm)athos123 Wrote: What are the origins of celibacy in catholic church?
I heard some stories that it was done for so that wife would't inherit anything or something like that not for the whole i'm doing this for god thing.
Anyone knows?

Yes, clergy celibacy was instituted in the mid 1500s during Council of Trent as part of wider church reform to stem the worst excesses of the clergy and clean up the image of the church, as the Catholic Church fought the Protestant reformation.

Prior to the 1500s the Catholic Church didn't have any strictures against priesthood marrying, raising children, and keeping mistresses and concubines. In fact more than one popes would marry off his daughters to form political alliances with kings and powerful nobles. The widespread image of the catholic clergy as being an exceptionally greedy, debaunched and power hungry bunch even for that age was one of the underlying reasons of the Protestant reformation.
Quote:Yes, clergy celibacy was instituted in the mid 1500s during Council of Trent as part of wider church reform to stem the worst excesses of the clergy and clean up the image of the church

Time for another council, then! Hopefully they'll do a little better.
Someone didn't have enough looks and personality to get any pussy, but did have the power and spite to prevent everyone else from enjoying what he couldn't.
Clerical celibacy (for both sexes) is one of those strictures of the Church that has always been honoured more in the breach than in the observance.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Simon Peter was married and Paul alluded to having been married. The Catholics eventually had too large of an overhead so they had to cut cut their expenses. Their business model could no longer support non-productive women and children.
(August 8, 2014 at 5:57 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: Simon Peter was married and Paul alluded to having been married. The Catholics eventually had too large of an overhead so they had to cut cut their expenses. Their business model could no longer support non-productive women and children.
Sensible business decision.Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Adam & Eve Myth - Origins Gwaithmir 125 13377 July 13, 2019 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Kirk Cameron-Don't drink the koolaid and think Christmas had pagan origins. downbeatplumb 122 18166 December 8, 2014 at 10:45 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Child sexual abuse linked to celibacy KichigaiNeko 2 1470 January 24, 2013 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Minimalist