Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daughter begins Kindergarten
Daughter begins Kindergarten
Tomorrow. I wonder how long it will take for her to come home asking about God and Jesus. I'm currently living in a bible belt area called Christian county. Any predicting to be had? I recall it was third grade for me and I had nightmares of hell for a long time after. I'm dreading this more than the sex ed talk in a few years down the line.
RE: Daughter begins Kindergarten
Probably not as soon as you think. But if I were you I'd beat the Christian kids/teachers to the punch. Get a children's illustrated Bible and teach it as myth and explain that other mostly rational people think it's true, but they're crazy about this issue. My parents and in-laws are devout and sent such things as gifts. We used them, just not quite as intended. We have two well adjusted atheists in their teens.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
I agree with Jenny.

I had kindergarten and first grade at a private Christian school. We had bible study every morning. I'd come home from school, spouting something I'd been taught that day, and my parents laughed, calling everything I said the "Gospel According to Miss Connie", "Miss Connie" being the teacher. My mom, still a Christian, still laughs at some of the stuff I used to say.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Exciting times!

I agree with Jenny. Your daughter may be exposed to the idea of God, usually in the form of loving Jesus at that age, but you can control how your daughter is taught about religion.

Children that age are naturally inquisitive and if they're asking questions then you can begin to teach critical thinking skills. You can always find ways to explain how things work to young children, even if they don't have the capacity to fully understand intricate details. Take for example where the rain comes from? Angels pouring the water out or the hydrologic cycle?

Not necessarily aimed at religion, but I hate when adults are condescending towards children with the blase "you wouldn't understand" excuse. In my experience, the adult usually doesn't have a firm enough grasp of the subject matter to sufficiently break it down so someone can understand and offers instead bullshit in place of explanation. Again, not religious specific.

Have no fear, you'll manage fine. Keep in mind that a majority of atheists here in the U.S. were indocrtinated at a young age. Your daughter has the added advantage of your guidance.
If she has never heard about it from you I imagine it will be at the top of her list.
I'm extrapolating that maybe telling kids about many religions might be a good idea too. Once it is apparent that there are literally thousands and thousands of them and they are all massively inconsistent with each other, it isn't that big of an intellectual leap to the realization they are all crapola.

And always point out they are all equally valid, especially Pastafarianism.

FSM Grin
(August 4, 2014 at 11:09 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: I'm extrapolating that maybe telling kids about many religions might be a good idea too. Once it is apparent that there are literally thousands and thousands of them and they are all massively inconsistent with each other, it isn't that big of an intellectual leap to the realization they are all crapola.

And always point out they are all equally valid, especially Pastafarianism.

FSM Grin

Not sure about pastafariansim or frisbtarianism either, but explaining that more than more religious myth exists and how many people believe other myths is a very good idea.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
My youngest girl starts kindergarten thursday. My middle girl started talking about god in kindergarten - as a character in a fairy tale. Almost gave my father-in-law a heart attack when he went to say grace;

"Everybody knows that all the gods are gone pawpaw" "Mommy made this chicken pawpaw" "Why do you talk to yourself all the time pawpaw" - she's got dozens of em now.

ROFLOL
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I don't know how it works where you live, but here it is very simple, most public kindergartens and even private ones don't teach religion, and if they do, you need to sign up a separate paper saying 'I agree that religion X is taught to my kids'. If not, I'd just walk on the kindergarten and say 'How about no!?'
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

It's good to tell your kids what you think and where the evidence leads. If you're more conservative in your approach, wait 'til your daughter brings it up to you. Or if you know she's being taught or coerced into religion then have an elementary discussion about it.
If the hypothetical idea of an afterlife means more to you than the objectively true reality we all share, then you deserve no respect.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Billy Graham's Daughter says transgender people responsible for 9/11 Aroura 23 4869 May 15, 2016 at 7:02 am
Last Post: abaris
  Christian's attacking my 6 yo daughter with their BS! Brakeman 236 27932 March 27, 2015 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Some Simple Questions show Atheistic Origin Science is false (proof 2 begins) SavedByGraceThruFaith 369 192980 October 9, 2014 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Church exiles member for supporting lesbian daughter CleanShavenJesus 14 3727 August 27, 2013 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas