Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reza Aslan Nails The Jesus Freaks to the Wall...
Reza Aslan Nails The Jesus Freaks to the Wall...
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/05/re...ed-wealth/

Quote:“This is as profoundly an unscriptural interpretation of Jesus that exists,” Aslan remarked. “I mean, if there is one thing that is just so clear cut and just not open to interpretation at all of any kind when it comes to Jesus’s message, it is his condemnation of wealth.”

“And yet, not only does this version of Christianity exist, as I say, it is honestly the fastest growing version of Protestant evangelical Christianity in North America. That’s because Jesus can be whatever you want him to be, and the Christian message can be whatever you want it to be.”
RE: Reza Aslan Nails The Jesus Freaks to the Wall...
Wealth in of itself is not the problem the pursuit and lusting after it is. The account of the rich young ruler is a prime example of that.
I wouldn't mind driving a Bentley. Maybe I'll give up this atheism stuff and give it a try.

Come to think of it, they probably wouldn't have me.....Angry
(August 6, 2014 at 6:56 am)Drich Wrote: Wealth in of itself is not the problem the pursuit and lusting after it is. The account of the rich young ruler is a prime example of that.

Yes we know how christians love to use their personal decoder rings to interpret scripture in the most convenient light. However, taking all of his sayings about wealth such as “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth” (Matthew 6:19), Luke 16:19-31, (Matthew 25:31-46), and 1 John 3:17 together and looking at the message as a whole, one cannot honestly rationalize holding a bank account and real estate in the form of modern wealth that would have beggared the mind of an apostle of that time.

While you can stretch Armstrong the interpretations of what jesus meant in relation to todays christians, you cannot stretch it so far as to change jesus' audience's interpretation. The Apostles had never seen or imagined the kind of wealth and ease of life that even a family in the middle class in the U.S. sees. The fabled king Salomon in his day would have lived with pests and fleas. Would have eaten food during winters that you nor I would have eaten. He had no toilet paper or dental hygiene products and everyone would have stank of body odor due to lack of deodorants and reliable indoor plumbing. Bedding was not soft and comfortable like todays' Thermopedic mattresses. Sweltering in the summer heat was all they knew, an air conditioned modern home would have put any palace to shame.
In summary, everyone at the time of christ, to whom christ was speaking to, would have definitely classified todays' wealthy preachers as abhorrent when even one poor man still walked the earth. Jesus' message was taken to mean that christians have a duty, a requirement, to have compassion for our poor brothers everywhere, and to share wealth with the poor, and not just the 10% to god level, but all of it, to the point that everyone had enough.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
(August 6, 2014 at 6:56 am)Drich Wrote: Wealth in of itself is not the problem the pursuit and lusting after it is. The account of the rich young ruler is a prime example of that.
What the hell are you making up now? Jesus told this guy to sell all his possessions and give the money to the poor. Only then could he follow him and get eternal life.

Your hero then asserts that it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to go to heaven.

There's nothing here about how wealth is achieved. Possessing wealth is the issue, plain and simple.
(August 6, 2014 at 8:03 am)Cato Wrote:
What the hell are you making up now? Jesus told this guy to sell all his possessions and give the money to the poor. Only then could he follow him and get eternal life.

Your hero then asserts that it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to go to heaven.

There's nothing here about how wealth is achieved. Possessing wealth is the issue, plain and simple.

Didn't you know? You're reading it out of context.

I'll leave it to drippy to explain what that context actually is Wink
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
I think the message is conflicting enough to allow for a number of interpretations. This is the Bible, after all.

When the young man claims that he has observed the commandments since he was a child, Jesus does not challenge him. He tells him that he lacks only one thing- to sell his possessions and "follow" him. This becomes the man's stumbling block, and Jesus laments that "it would be easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of god." The case seems open-and-shut, but when someone wonders aloud if anyone may be saved, Jesus replies "what is impossible with men is possible with God."

So does this mean that salvation is impossible without god? Or is it a direct reference to his claim that it is impossible for a rich man to enter the kingdom of god? Is Jesus saying that it is possible for a rich man to enter heaven due to god's grace? Or is he saying that salvation in general is only possible through god's grace, unless you are a rich man?

The answer, of course, is whatever you happen to want it to be.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Jesus: "This shit ain't gonna be easy, you gotta be tough."

Christians: "Tough? Like Gangsta? So I can get tons of money, do whatever I want, and have 20 bitches hanging off of each arm? AND I get rewarded forever? I am so in!"

As is customary, Drippy, you don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

Quote:It's God's will for you to live in prosperity instead of poverty. It's God's will for you to pay your bills and not be in debt.
Joel Osteen

Quote:God wants us to prosper financially, to have plenty of money, to fulfill the destiny He has laid out for us.
Joel Osteen
Fuck Reza Aslan. I will never give a damn what that disingenuous man says after this:

Quote:[Sam] Harris: As a relevant counterpoint, I should say that when I was raising money for your [Ayaan Hirsi Ali] security, I got in touch with some of my contacts in the “moderate” Muslim community. In particular, I reached out to Reza Aslan, with whom I was on entirely cordial terms. I said, essentially, “Reza, wouldn’t it be great if the vast majority of Muslims who are moderate helped protect Ayaan from the minority who aren’t?” It seems to me undeniable that if people like Reza are going to argue that Islam is just like any other religion, they have a real interest in ensuring that people can safely criticize their faith—or even leave it.
But all Reza did was attack you as a bigot and deny, against all evidence, that you had any security concerns worth taking seriously. His response came as quite a shock to me, frankly. I was unprepared to encounter this level of moral blindness and ill will, especially at a moment when I was reaching out for help.

(August 6, 2014 at 8:03 am)Cato Wrote:

I think I gotta agree with "Drippy" on this one. There are examples of wealthy Christians in the New Testament. The issue is primarily whether or not one serves God or money.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It Must Just Kill The Jesus Freaks. Minimalist 10 2759 March 31, 2017 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Poor Fucking Jesus Freaks... Minimalist 102 12800 April 22, 2016 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  The Jesus Freaks Will Hate This Minimalist 906 168324 April 28, 2015 at 3:03 am
Last Post: robvalue
  NdGT makes some Twitter Jokes...Jesus Freaks Minimalist 13 3471 December 27, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Reza Aslan Minimalist 5 1263 November 18, 2014 at 3:13 am
Last Post: Exian
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7203 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Hope For Our Resident Jesus Freaks? Minimalist 2 1375 September 29, 2014 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Jesus Freaks and Guns....Bad Combo Minimalist 11 3117 June 23, 2014 at 7:09 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hitting The Wall freedomfromforum 29 6613 December 4, 2013 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: xpastor
  Jesus Freaks Will Shit A Brick Over This One Minimalist 19 5588 November 11, 2013 at 7:52 am
Last Post: pocaracas