Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Father"
"Father"
Perhaps I'm biased having spent what feels like the longest day of my life in a maternity ward recently.
Does it strike anyone as arrogant that priests assume the title 'Father'?

Did they have to remain calm whilst attempting to drive to hospital in the shortest possible time through heavy traffic?
Did they stand/sit beside a woman in pain that the most powerful drugs I've ever had barely touched for 19 hours?
Did they see a canula being inserted or see the person you're closest to getting cut to prevent a 4th degree tear? Did they spend 2 hours afterwards watching the surgeon working to stitch up the tear and cut, stem the bleeding and deal with a prolapse?
Did they get kicked out of a maternity ward at 6am and attempt to drive home after tearing themselves away from the 2 most precious people in the world to find somewhere, anywhere that sells coffee at silly o'clock?

Do they really deserve the title 'father'?
Ranting
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
RE: "Father"
Did you just become a daddy!? Losty wantz to see baby pictures!

Oh and no they don't deserve the title father.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
The pedophile label seems to be more in vogue now.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(August 6, 2014 at 4:06 pm)Mr Greene Wrote:

And that's why I never want to be a father.. I could not handle that situation.
Congrats, Greeny.

And yes, it's pretty goddamned arrogant of them to assume a title that must be earned through years of hard and sometimes thankless work.

(August 6, 2014 at 4:06 pm)Mr Greene Wrote: Perhaps I'm biased having spent what feels like the longest day of my life in a maternity ward recently.
Does it strike anyone as arrogant that priests assume the title 'Father'?

CONGRATULATIONS

I hope the little one is letting you get at least a little sleep since that long day at the maternity ward.

And no, very few clergy have the right to the title father. They don't behave like fathers to their parishioners. There are a few who do, but they are few and far between. But, I'd rather call them "father" than "reverend." There's arrogance. Or like bishops, "your grace."
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Congratulations. Did you find coffee?

Yes I find it arrogant that Catholic priests refer to themselves as fathers. I'm also deeply offended the title of 'Vicar of Christ' applies as well. Especially considering:

If it could be proven beyond doubt that God exists...
and that He is the one spoken of in the Bible...
would you repent of your sins and place your faith in Jesus Christ?

Congrats on the new baby!

But let's take this one step further: Nuns who have never been through labor shouldn't be calling themselves "Mother".
That's MISTER Godless Vegetarian Tree Hugging Hippie Liberal to you.
Wha? I thought they usually go by sister?
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
These days I thought it was "Who's your daddy?"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jehovah’s seem to be trying to get my 85 year old father into their cult hogwash 23 5921 July 24, 2015 at 12:38 am
Last Post: hogwash
  Father Arguments Severan 48 9769 January 24, 2014 at 4:04 am
Last Post: Odysseus
  God is No Father NumberOneSon 9 3217 February 17, 2013 at 4:11 pm
Last Post: NumberOneSon
  Destroying "atheism", God(The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit) is a Fact SavedByChrist94 50 24524 January 3, 2013 at 10:16 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  Is one of the reasons people believe in God is a need for a father figure? hoppimike 20 11464 June 17, 2012 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: NoraBrimstone