Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick O'Brian
Patrick O'Brian
Are there any other fans of his work here? My favourite author.
RE: Patrick O'Brian
Just started the Aubrey-Maturin series; finishing Post Captain. I'm hooked.
You have a great deal of pleasure before you.
Yes, I'm a fan. I've read the whole series at least three times and some of the books more often than that. I have a few favs on audio as well. Don't forget the Golden Ocean and the Unknown Shore which are not part of the series but equally good. O'Brian is the best writer about the navel sailing warships I know. But I'd read him even without the sea element. The Aubry Maturin series is really one very long complex novel about the friendship between two very different men.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
I could not have put it better.
Yes, favorite historic novelist for me as well, read every last one of Obrey Maturin series except the last two, which I intend to save for a special vacation, like a long cruise on a sailboat.

Also read the golden golden ocean and the unknown shore, two other nautical historic novel by him.

Find his novels far more sophisticate And uuanced in its portrayal of the human condition and motivation, as well atmospheric in its description of the life at sea, then other maritime fiction authors like C.S.forester. The work of o'brian is to the works of other nautical historic fiction authors I've read is as War and Peace is to DC comic books.
Yes, the two precursers are excellent too. I didn't like the short stories and I never finished 'The Catalans' though.
I read my first Obrey Maturin novel (Mauritius command) while I solo sailed a rented sailboat from Cazumal to Cancun and back. I have to say a sailboat sailing in a good breeze is a wonderful prop to have while immersing yourself in an o'brian nautical novel.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DC ROCK By Brian 37 Brian37 23 4214 May 29, 2020 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4