Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mother wants to start going to church...
Mother wants to start going to church...
First off I want to just stop for a sec and say hi! Just been been for a bit and I can tell I'm gonna like it here.

Onto the topic, my father passed away this Sunday and the pastor as the funeral all but demanded my family start going to his church cause we didn't have a "church family". Now this pisses me off for a number of reasons first of which being he's taking advantage of my mother while still in a delicate state of mind. Second he was my high school principal but that's not important.

See, me and my youngest brother are atheists and we've since disillusioned ourselves of the dogma that is Christianity and frankly we have no desire to go back to such a way of things and feel we can heal WITHOUT it.

So my question is what do we do about it? I want to respect her wishes if it helps get over her grief but that's not how we do things.

PS. For the record I'm 23 and my brother is 14.
RE: Mother wants to start going to church...
Easy, respect whatever your mother wants to be, religion may be wrong in your eye's but it has helped many people through trying times. You have no right to force your beliefs on anyone, this is nothing shorty of being arrogant, yes keep you own beliefs to yourself.
1. Why do you give a flying fuck about what the pastor, in his capacity as pastor, wants?

2. If your mother wants to go, it's none of your business.

3. If your mother wants you to all go, if it is a once or twice event to get her over the hump of grief, you would be a sorry human being if you don't go.

4. If your mother wants to turn this into a normal routine, then sit her down and Let her know just as you would not insist she go through a charade to pretend to follow a practice she does not believe in, so she should be equally respectful and considerate of you as well.
If she wants to go there isn't much you can do about it.

You should say "no." Your brother's position is a tad more delicate.
Nicely said Chuck.
(August 9, 2014 at 1:35 am)psychoslice Wrote: Easy, respect whatever your mother wants to be, religion may be wrong in your eye's but it has helped many people through trying times. You have no right to force your beliefs on anyone, this is nothing shorty of being arrogant, yes keep you own beliefs to yourself.

I am not forcing my beliefs on my mother. Why would I? It's not my choice what she wants to do. All I ask to keep me and brothers out of it. I cannot participate in a charade. If that's what she wants to do, that's her thing but the saying "one-size-does-not-fit-all" comes to mind.

Also Chuck, it's most likely #4.

I also apologize, I should have been more clear. I'm sorry. I ascribe to the "What one does is one's own business". Again, I'm sorry.
My god your father just passed away, for heaven sake leave you mother alone in this crises, let her be happy, even if you got to pretend.
(August 9, 2014 at 2:05 am)psychoslice Wrote: My god your father just passed away, for heaven sake leave you mother alone in this crises, let her be happy, even if you got to pretend.

He don't believe in skydaddy. You might as well have said "My dog".
Yes his father has just passed away. I am sure that he is hurting. I have lost both my parents. Some people find church a comfort in these times, others find them worse than useless.
It's not immoral to eat meat, abort a fetus or love someone of the same sex...I think that about covers it
(August 9, 2014 at 2:05 am)psychoslice Wrote: My god your father just passed away, for heaven sake leave you mother alone in this crises, let her be happy, even if you got to pretend.

That doesn't mean he should let a priest take advantage of his mother's grief.
Or that he should belittle the memory of his father (or disrespect his mothers grief) by participating in an empty charade. Or is that every mothers dream, a shallow and duplicitous child?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jesus wants passionate christians purplepurpose 3 657 April 1, 2023 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  People are not 'Going to Hell' - they're already in Hell. The Kreisel 22 2381 February 18, 2021 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  When and where did atheism first start ? hindu 99 9073 July 16, 2019 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: comet
  Yeah, not going to happen!! Mystic 29 4757 October 18, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  How are you going to commit to the war on Christmas? Fidel_Castronaut 108 25883 January 4, 2018 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  How not to start a conversation with a skeptic...I think Astonished 43 8706 February 1, 2017 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Need advice for going to college Won2blv 33 4594 September 19, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I think my mother may be becoming an atheist, advice? IanHulett 22 5652 October 17, 2015 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: abaris
  going to give my all to atheism Yoplait 46 8098 June 4, 2015 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Going to a Roman Catholic school and expressing my opinion. piterski123 7 3362 April 28, 2015 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Iroscato