Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My brother made a good point
My brother made a good point
He said that while scientists try to disprove God, science changes everyday, what's right one day is wrong the next, so how can you rely on it? Meanwhile God and Christianity is never changing.
He also said he was speaking to a former evolutionary scientist who said there's no evidence for evolution, to be fair though I didn't hear much of that story.
RE: My brother made a good point
God and christianity are ever-changing. -Your- christianity would likely be unrecognizable -as- christianity if you were to go back just 100 years, let alone 2k. This is not a weakness of the position, but, rather, a strength. It's christians (in my experience) that this bothers the most.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Welcome aboard matey!
Never have I read a sentence to be so wrong on so many levels!

Enjoy the blast wave ....!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
You can rely on it because it changes according to new data, not despite it. Not that the bible has never changed, and not that we ever really followed much of what the bible says in this country people claim is a christian nation.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Scientists don't try to disprove god, they're too busy getting on with useful stuff like finding cures for all the diseases that god gave us.

The bastard.
My brother is a COLLEGE GRADUATE by the way.
(August 11, 2014 at 5:30 pm)Thinking Christian Wrote: He said that while scientists try to disprove God, science changes everyday, what's right one day is wrong the next, so how can you rely on it? Meanwhile God and Christianity is never changing.
He also said he was speaking to a former evolutionary scientist who said there's no evidence for evolution, to be fair though I didn't hear much of that story.

Science is changing and dynamic.

Religion is stagnant and, despite claims to the contrary, does change but very slowly and reluctantly.

Science has eradicated smallpox and has come close to doing so with polio.

What has religion done recently?

(August 11, 2014 at 5:39 pm)Thinking Christian Wrote: My brother is a COLLEGE GRADUATE by the way.

What's your point?

That doesn't make him an authority on the subject.

I'm a surgical resident and that doesn't make me an authority on everything scientific or religious.

Though I suspect you're a POE.
Dying to live, living to die.
(August 11, 2014 at 5:39 pm)Thinking Christian Wrote: My brother is a COLLEGE GRADUATE by the way.

I'm sorry, he must have gone to the wrong sort of college.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(August 11, 2014 at 5:30 pm)Thinking Christian Wrote: He said that while scientists try to disprove God, science changes everyday, what's right one day is wrong the next, so how can you rely on it? Meanwhile God and Christianity is never changing.

Your brother makes a positively idiotic argument and not a good point in any respect.

Overwhelmingly, the "changes" of science are incremental improvements, revisions, addenda and such; especially in the last 100 years. Science stands on the shoulders of giants; religion on the shoulders of gullible dolts.

How often do you wake up to "well I guess that relativity stuff was dead wrong!" or "Hey! My GPS don't work no more cuz scienz done did got changed ther! Durrr"

If you think Christianity hasn't changed over the centuries, you know very little about it.

If science does such a piss poor job at modeling reality, why not put your mouth/body/life style/job/entertainment/et al on the line and forgo all that dirty, worthless science brings to the table? You know, stuff like modern medicine, dentistry, cars, clean water and the internet.

Double dog dare ya.
(August 11, 2014 at 5:30 pm)Thinking Christian Wrote: He said that while scientists try to disprove God,

Which scientists try to disprove god? I haven't heard of any. Sure, lots of scientists criticise religion when it conflicts with science, but I don't think there are any that have actually tried to disprove god.

(August 11, 2014 at 5:30 pm)Thinking Christian Wrote: science changes everyday, what's right one day is wrong the next, so how can you rely on it?

Not all science changes, we know for instance that animals evolve over millions of years. Darwin figured it out, but we still don't know everything there is to know about it, when new information is found and deemed reliable, it is added. The general gist of the theory is still the same, just small things are altered.

Another example, aeroplanes. You've flown on one before right? Well the science that makes them fly, hasn't changed despite the creation of new types of planes.

(August 11, 2014 at 5:30 pm)Thinking Christian Wrote: Meanwhile God and Christianity is never changing.

Yes it is. How many people have you killed for working on the sabbath? Or wearing two different fabrics? Or burnt at the stake for witchcraft?

(August 11, 2014 at 5:30 pm)Thinking Christian Wrote: He also said he was speaking to a former evolutionary scientist who said there's no evidence for evolution, to be fair though I didn't hear much of that story.

Then this 'former evolutionary scientist' would be wrong.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I have made a new YouTube video about afterlife... FlatAssembler 32 2216 July 12, 2022 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Photo Cartoon I made poking fun at Religion! shawnmcdaniel1 19 2891 September 9, 2021 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  What made you become an atheist? Atomic Lava 69 6156 December 12, 2019 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Your point of living? joe90 82 10685 May 9, 2019 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  What made you become an atheist? Handprint 170 46233 October 3, 2018 at 5:06 am
Last Post: Cod
  Made a preacherman run away. Gawdzilla Sama 19 3430 December 3, 2017 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Christianity Made Me Talk Like An Idiot Manowar 6 2706 June 25, 2017 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Even in darkest times here is something that made me smile dyresand 3 1946 May 17, 2017 at 10:01 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  My brother who used to be a devout Muslim is now agnostic Lebneni Murtad 4 1387 March 21, 2017 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  I fear hell, and this article made things worse for me. What do you guys think? arda101 26 4690 February 5, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Autolite