Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After I know this how could I leave the church?
I know that you are going to laugh. I only hope an explanation for this. I would like to think that these facts were not true. I was more happy when i was not a christian.

Tertullian was a roman lawyer that becomecome a christian. He had access to roman documents and made some declarations about 1st century A.D like this:

Quote:Tiberius6 accordingly, in whose days the Christian name made its entry into the world, having himself received intelligence from Palestine of events which had clearly shown the truth of Christ's divinity, brought the matter before the senate, with his own decision in favour of Christ. The senate, because it had not given the approval itself, rejected his proposal. Caesar held to his opinion, threatening wrath against all accusers of the Christians. [3] Consult your histories; you will there find that Nero was the first who assailed with the imperial sword the Christian sect, making profess then especially at Rome.

The thing that dont let me go from christianity is the fact that he says that in roman documents it is registered that when Jesus died there was a big portent in the sky; so we are not talking about an story recorded only in the gospels.

Quote:He exhibited many notable signs, by which His death was distinguished from all others. At His own free-will, He with a word dismissed from Him His spirit, anticipating the executioner's work. In the same hour, too, the light of day was withdrawn, when the sun at the very time was in his meridian blaze. Those who were not aware that this had been predicted about Christ, no doubt thought it an eclipse. You yourselves have the account of the world-portent still in your archives.
RE: After I know this how could I leave the church?
Romans saw protents in hawks flying over their armies, dark clouds, rainstorms, and patterns of blood...I wouldn't give any credence to them seeing a portent when Jesus apparently died.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
jeez, it's almost like no one has ever lied for their religion...

Where are these documents detailing the big portent?

Didn't something similar happen when Mohamed rose to the heavens in his winged horse?
(August 13, 2014 at 8:30 am)sophonian Wrote:

Welcome to the forum! If you'd like to tell us a little more about yourself, you can do it in the Introductions section here.

Ah yes, Tertullian. Commonly used 'historical proof' of the historicity of a divine Jesus. Unfortunately, it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Firstly, Tertullian was a Christian author therefore a certain level of bias can't be ruled out. Secondly, he was writing ~150 years after the purported death of Jesus so his account can't be considered reliable. Thirdly, he was the man who first formalised the concept of Trinity (it was the Tertullian model which was formed in to doctrine at the Council of Nicea) and as a consequence, there are many records of his life & work; in fact more is recorded about him and his life than about Jesus thus reinforcing the point that if the messiah had been wandering around, as claimed in the bible, performing miracles etc., there would be many independently verifiable accounts of his life.
Sum ergo sum
(August 13, 2014 at 8:56 am)Ben Davis Wrote:
(August 13, 2014 at 8:30 am)sophonian Wrote:

Welcome to the forum! If you'd like to tell us a little more about yourself, you can do it in the Introductions section here.

Ah yes, Tertullian. Commonly used 'historical proof' of the historicity of a divine Jesus. Unfortunately, it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Firstly, Tertullian was a Christian author therefore a certain level of bias can't be ruled out. Secondly, he was writing ~150 years after the purported death of Jesus so his account can't be considered reliable. Thirdly, he was the man who first formalised the concept of Trinity (it was the Tertullian model which was formed in to doctrine at the Council of Nicea) and as a consequence, there are many records of his life & work; in fact more is recorded about him and his life than about Jesus thus reinforcing the point that if the messiah had been wandering around, as claimed in the bible, performing miracles etc., there would be many independently verifiable accounts of his life.

Plus, I believe he was the guy who said that one of the perks of being in Heaven was being able to watch all the sinners get tortured in Hell. What a guy!
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Hi Ben

As a Christian, I would be wary of putting too much weight on this. As a Christian, this can be used as secondary supportive material. But if you're not a Christian there are ways to reject it. I think the primary reason for being a Christian, or at least starting to walk down that path, is always the question of whether you find Jesus a compelling character: a person, or even an idea, that you think leads us somewhere better than where we are right now.
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome

That has to be the weakest reason I've ever heard for signing up to a whole new belief system. Are you actually serious, or just winding us up?
You'd think a church father such as Tertullian would have made some copies of such important records. Especially because he had a vested interest.

Now that I think about it... The bible was canonized by Romans... Why didn't they include some of these records in it?
Bibliofagus, one of the 'rules' of canonisation was that they must have been derived from apostolic times or earlier, and they must have had use in the church's liturgy. But it's worth also noting the early Church had a high view of other writings, such as those of the church fathers, or the Didache. It is perhaps a little anachronistic to look back at other early writings with post-Reformation eyes.
Thanks for all your answers

(August 13, 2014 at 10:01 am)Bibliofagus Wrote: You'd think a church father such as Tertullian would have made some copies of such important records. Especially because he had a vested interest.

Now that I think about it... The bible was canonized by Romans... Why didn't they include some of these records in it?

Tertullian was converted to christian religion about 200 A.C. Before that, he had been an importante lawyer (according wikipedia). But I dont think he could take these archives from a roman chamber like one who take a book from a library and make copies. I dont see how he can lie when he says the romans should read their archives to validate the portent at Jesus death.

If I am not mistaken, christanity was not accepted as an official religion by romans until much later.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kenya cult deaths: Four die after suspected starvation plot zebo-the-fat 0 537 April 14, 2023 at 11:15 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 12900 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  7th grader commits suicide after being told that he is going to Hell. Jehanne 12 1471 December 9, 2021 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1210 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  If you could rid the world... FredTheLobster 33 3261 June 29, 2021 at 11:02 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Christian family fined after arguing taxes 'against God's will' zebo-the-fat 19 2093 July 23, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Do my parents fear that I'll leave the faith? Der/die AtheistIn 120 22887 January 14, 2018 at 2:55 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Why did god allow people to be born after the fall ? possibletarian 367 65183 November 24, 2017 at 1:59 am
Last Post: possibletarian
  Could I sue my religion over this? Won2blv 21 3303 October 8, 2017 at 8:18 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Could God's creation be like His omniscience? Whateverist 19 5947 May 18, 2017 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic