Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists/Non-Religious What was your Craziest Belief while in your Religion?
Atheists/Non-Religious What was your Craziest Belief while in your Religion?
--I would like to hear the craziest belief you had or action you did because of your religion if you were a true believer.--

One of the goofiest things that I can think of that I did, was wearing a brown scapular. I truly believed(/was brainwashed into believing) that if I died wearing it, I would go to heaven no matter what. I eventually talked myself into the fact, after two months, that it was a magic charm. I realized that it was insane to believe in magic charms, and against my religion. Although many of my Catholic/Christian beliefs contradicted themselves and were evil/moronic, it was still a few years later, that I finally gave up on religion.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens- My Hero
RE: Atheists/Non-Religious What was your Craziest Belief while in your Religion?
I'm glad you asked. I actually had the insane and delusional notion that talking snakes, virgin birth, and resurrection from the dead were real things. Confusedhock:

Thank Zeus I'm beyond all that nonsense Wink Shades
RE: Atheists/Non-Religious What was your Craziest Belief while in your Religion?
I believed until I was seven that they had found the bones of Adam on Noah's ark.

My priest eventually corrected this.
I think 'Crazy' is a pretty general term for all my beliefs from before (now that I look back, anyway). Maybe the hope of getting a severe deadly disease so I could be an example to others for my faith? (LOL) Panic
Infp
Panic
"Fear of the truth is the greatest deterrent to its acceptance. " - Joseph Lewis
"Death means nothing to the affairs of the world. " - Joseph Lewis
"When Reason and Peace of Mind no longer act in sync, it's time to get your shit together." - Me
(August 14, 2014 at 3:50 pm)ShaMan Wrote: I'm glad you asked. I actually had the insane and delusional notion that talking snakes, virgin birth, and resurrection from the dead were real things. Confusedhock:

Thank Zeus I'm beyond all that nonsense Wink Shades

Yeah, how could I forget those crazy ones. Also, another thing I did was bow my head to bread during communion. Another good one, during benediction/exposition, I would get on two knees and bow before the bread (thinking it was Jesus). That was a good one.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens- My Hero
The craziest thing for me was trying to make sense of some of some of the parables, like the prodigal son, the bit about him that hath nothing gets all his stuff taken away, the sins of the father etc, all of which I found immoral. That and the David story, which was stupid: thick idiot forgets his helmet, smart little guy uses distance weapon, duh?
When I was a little kid, Solomon was my favourite prophet.
He could talk to animals, was the king of genies (and everything actually), he had angels fight wars with him, controlled air (readConfusedtorm from x-men, which is also my favourite marvel character) and he was the only one allowed by God to use magic (I think).Big Grin
But I also believed in other nonreligious fairytalesTongue (I don't know what I believed after 13, I never thought about it)
I used to believe that a dead jew came back to life to atone for my sins.

Then I turned 12 and it seemed really stupid.
(August 14, 2014 at 4:44 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I used to believe that a dead jew came back to life to atone for my sins.

Then I turned 12 and it seemed really stupid.

Lucky bastard.
In school, there is this boy (jesuser) who believes his god/imaginary friend is real and a 4 year olds is not he is a psycho

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 2983 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1800 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6301 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Questions for your Religious friends. johndoe122931 100 5264 June 5, 2021 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2821 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4196 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5525 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 77854 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5176 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 21994 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet