Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ferguson: too much or not enough?
Ferguson: too much or not enough?
What are your thoughts on the police reaction or the reaction of the people?

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/michael...ri-n180166

I work and live near sanford Fl where treyvon Martin was shot and killed. And I saw a huge contrast between what everyday people who lived in sanford verses what the news reported. (A lot of the protesters where shipped/bussed in) To me it seemed a lot of the anger and hate put on tv was not what the community felt. A lot of the black people I spoke with in the area thought treyvon got what he deserved, and if they were in zimmerman's place they would have shot him as well.

I get there are a lot of angry people and rightly so if the news is accurate. But even if this one man was wronged and life cut short is the looting and riots they way to Handel this wrong?

On the otherside is the police response too strong? Or is this show of force what is needed to contain the situation?
RE: Ferguson: much or not enough?
I'll bite, even though you never respond to the weightier posts I put up.
(August 14, 2014 at 7:14 pm)Drich Wrote: I get there are a lot of angry people and rightly so if the news is accurate. But even if this one man was wronged and life cut short is the looting and riots they way to Handel this wrong?
An uprising is needed, yes!
(August 14, 2014 at 7:14 pm)Drich Wrote: On the otherside is the police response too strong? Or is this show of force what is needed to contain the situation?
Do you mean the situation where people are exercising their right to freedom of speech and peaceful protest?
The police are in the wrong. The police will always be in the wrong in this fight. There's a difference between "keeping the peace" and "fucking everyone over just because we can".
(August 14, 2014 at 7:20 pm)ShaMan Wrote: I'll bite, even though you never respond to the weightier posts I put up.
(August 14, 2014 at 7:14 pm)Drich Wrote: I get there are a lot of angry people and rightly so if the news is accurate. But even if this one man was wronged and life cut short is the looting and riots they way to Handel this wrong?
(August 14, 2014 at 7:14 pm)Drich Wrote: On the otherside is the police response too strong? Or is this show of force what is needed to contain the situation?
Do you mean the situation where people are exercising their right to freedom of speech and peaceful protest?

The right to peaceably assemble is a right, but it is not with out limitations. Once the peace is gone then the right to assemble gets regulated. If the crowd does not adhere to said regulations then they must be disbursed. The question is was what they did too much?
The police share some responsibility for the looting. One of their own has apparently executed a person in cold blood, and whether or not it is true, they are giving this police officer special treatment and keeping him out of the normal process of justice. They are attempting to enforce the law while acting as if they are above it.
RE: Ferguson: too much or not enough?
(August 14, 2014 at 8:10 pm)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: The police share some responsibility for the looting.

Oh come off it. The only people responsible for looting are the fucking looters. A while back when Britain had riots, the only people doing the looting were opportunistic, scum bag thieves. People don't go looting to show they have a moral compass or to make some sort of stand.
(August 14, 2014 at 7:36 pm)Drich Wrote:
(August 14, 2014 at 7:20 pm)ShaMan Wrote: I'll bite, even though you never respond to the weightier posts I put up.

The right to peaceably assemble is a right, but it is not with out limitations. Once the peace is gone then the right to assemble gets regulated. If the crowd does not adhere to said regulations then they must be disbursed. The question is was what they did too much?

... and why is the peace gone in the first place?
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
How do we know the police side of things? All the news has reported on was what the community's pov was.

As far as keeping the officer out of the public eye, it only makes sense the way things are now. Once things calm down the officer in question will have to face the music. I'm sure this guy has a family and it is not their fault that he did what he did. Linch mobs don't typically care when they are out for a pound of flesh.

(August 14, 2014 at 8:21 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote:
(August 14, 2014 at 7:36 pm)Drich Wrote: The right to peaceably assemble is a right, but it is not with out limitations. Once the peace is gone then the right to assemble gets regulated. If the crowd does not adhere to said regulations then they must be disbursed. The question is was what they did too much?

... and why is the peace gone in the first place?

See the explaination provided in post #6
The police force has the firepower to start a war, and they're also preventing reporters from attempting to do their jobs.
(August 14, 2014 at 8:21 pm)Napoléon Wrote:
(August 14, 2014 at 8:10 pm)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: The police share some responsibility for the looting.

Oh come off it. The only people responsible for looting are the fucking looters. A while back when Britain had riots, the only people doing the looting were opportunistic, scum bag thieves. People don't go looting to show they have a moral compass or to make some sort of stand.

I don't mean to suggest that the looters are in no way less than 100% responsible for what they are doing, and should be punished accordingly. The police are responsible for the way that they enforce the law, and the way they are choosing to enforce it is only stoking the fire, when it should be trying to put that fire out. They aren't making anybody loot, but they are creating the conditions for it with their lack of transparency and their protection of a person who should be a murder suspect. If they didn't have a large number of decent people rightfully angry with them, the looting scumbags wouldn't be able to do what they're doing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why so much recent transphobic legislation? FrustratedFool 15 831 August 15, 2023 at 9:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  Too PC for me. onlinebiker 256 14068 December 20, 2021 at 6:14 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Another US Export. Thank You So Bloody Much BrianSoddingBoru4 6 358 January 13, 2021 at 11:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  NRA, too many hands in the cookie jar? Gawdzilla Sama 11 853 November 28, 2020 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Obama: This simple '60 Minutes' question was 'too tough' for Trump WinterHold 7 787 October 31, 2020 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  The Lady Doth Protest Too Much, Methinks - Hysterical White Middle Class BLM Activism Duty 31 1907 July 1, 2020 at 5:44 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Social Distancing: Is 6 feet enough? Rhizomorph13 14 965 April 2, 2020 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The impeachment of Trump suddenly looks like much more than just a theory WinterHold 45 3839 January 10, 2020 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  When Irony Is Too Good To Ignore BrianSoddingBoru4 13 2800 July 8, 2019 at 7:57 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  So much about religious liberty Fake Messiah 14 1618 February 8, 2019 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Brian37