Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 5:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Prayer Really Work? Does God Even Care?
Does Prayer Really Work? Does God Even Care?
I feel I've seen enough in my life to pretty much know that God doesn't answer prayers, he doesn't care, or he doesn't exist. If God created the first physical matter in existence IMO he would have to be omnipotent, because he is non-physical and created physical matter. If he created the physical realm, he would be able to interfere in the physical realm. If you don't believe this, then stop wasting your time praying immediately!!

If you do believe this, please answer me a few questions after this short story. I'm sure you guys heard the news lately of the christian murderers who believed that god would heal their child, and the child ended up dying. I've heard these stories growing up, on the radio driving to high school, and on the radio driving to college a few years back. This isn't the first time. These people obviously believed with their entire being that god was going to heal their child. What happened? The child died, because we live in something called reality.

Is god really that EVIL? Why does god allow people to get raped, tortured, and murdered everyday, when the people are praying to be saved? Why doesn't god feed the hungry and give water to the thirsty to the people who cry out for it?(instead he watches them suffer a slow death) If god has revealed himself, why have there been so many different religions and cults throughout history? Why wouldn't he come down and reveal himself to all of us and tell us the truth? I know I would. How could he be that evil, and why in the hell would anyone worship someone like this? How could people with an open mind believe in this religion nonsense?

I was going to be a benedictine monk, so you could say I was a true believer. Due to physical ailments I deal with, that didn't work out. Which believe me I'm grateful for. Maybe it was god's will. Maybe not. You think the megalomaniacal, jealous, serial killer god of the bible would have healed me for the opportunity to have someone bowing at his feet every second of everyday. I guess, he didn't care enough or maybe he doesn't exist. He doesn't care about you, in this life anyway. So, why would you waste your time worshipping this monster?

I'm not claiming to know for a fact god does or doesn't exist. I'm not attacking anyone. I'm expressing what I feel from the heart. Hopefully logical religious people on here will see where I'm coming from. It is my wish, because I care about people, to urge some serious skepticism towards their faith already. Is there any reason at all for you to believe in this stuff, or were you brought up into it like me? If you looked at your faith as a non-believer, what would you think of your faith?

If you believe everything that happens is god's will, then why be so arrogant to ask him to change it? Wouldn't praying be a waste of time anyway, since his will is going to be done regardless? He won't bother with your petty prayers. Please tell me where I'm wrong, tell me how I'm being illogical. And please don't give me bible quotes, and don't tell me you feel him because you get into some meditative, feel-good state. I felt that too: When reading the bible, when praying, when pouring my heart out everyday for many years. Feel free to add to this if you agree with me, or feel free to give some intelligent rebuttal. Thanks. Have a good day!
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens- My Hero
RE: Does Prayer Really Work? Does God Even Care?
Quote:I feel I've seen enough in my life to pretty much know that God doesn't answer prayers, he doesn't care, or he doesn't exist.

I gave you a little help there.
(August 15, 2014 at 2:56 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:I feel I've seen enough in my life to pretty much know that God doesn't answer prayers, he doesn't care, or he doesn't exist.

I gave you a little help there.

Yes, Occam at his finest! (Less is more)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Quote: Is there any reason at all for you to believe in this stuff, or were you brought up into it like me? If you looked at your faith as a non-believer, what would you think of your faith?

I was brought up into it. I started to feel like it was a bunch of wishful thinking and nothing more. Now that I don't believe anymore faith looks like a special kind of emptiness in people's minds.
A self-sustaining, willful emptiness that looks like it's full of good stuff from the inside, but that actually closes your mind to logical thinking.
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
I would imagine that prayer might actually have some effect, not in granting any particular wish, but in making the person feel better, something like the way placebos work. The mind is powerful and some kind of feeling of fulfilment might result.

Note: only if you believe it, of course. It would do nothing for wicked heathens like me.
Prayer has changed me.
Neevr mind. You have time to recover.
(August 15, 2014 at 7:16 am)Diablo Wrote: Neevr mind. You have time to recover.

Big Grin
(August 15, 2014 at 6:21 am)Michael Wrote: Prayer has changed me.

No, you changed yourself, your prayer is merely your talking to yourself.

If you pretend to have a telephone conversations with president Obama, you may change yourself even more..
Find the cure for Fundementia!
The only time I used to pray when I was forced to at school. Didn't really do anything for me. I began asking questions and nobody answered them so I concluded I was just talking to my own thoughts.

As to the efficacy of prayer. Well, there's been several threads on it here over the years.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Even if theism is a failure, it's still superior to atheism R00tKiT 491 36034 December 25, 2022 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why does God care about S E X? zwanzig 83 4913 November 15, 2021 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  On the lunacy of prayer slartibartfast 100 5430 October 12, 2021 at 12:17 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Global Prayer To End Atheism Foxaèr 60 7664 August 25, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: Brian37
  [Serious] Care to Seriously Consider the Existance of a Creator (God)? theMadJW 117 10293 April 29, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3496 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  Prayers don't work so why do religious keep jabbing at it? Fake Messiah 65 9664 August 26, 2019 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  A prayer to God ... ignoramus 10 1046 May 3, 2019 at 11:17 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question about prayer. purplepurpose 27 5700 October 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Drich
  What do you think prayer is? vulcanlogician 44 6088 February 2, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: emjay