Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time invested in disbelief
Time invested in disbelief
This thread is inspired by Prabbit's debate on unicorns is debate on unicorns

What is the point of devoting so much time to learning so much about something we all (for the most part) have no belief in? Like arguing is the greatest past time! We come here and (some) recite bible passages, others argue about all the lurks and purks of various argumentitive fallacy, and the philosophical debates that go on and on about how powerful "god" is. And all the time, we've got fr0d0 etc making the least effort in posting proper argument, which is good because the site would be boring without such posters, yet everyone's cut and pasting page after page about details on something no atheist trully believes in and of whom most know cannot be rationalised.

I hate "god" more than the next atheist, I'm just trying to understand how this process isn't frivilous.
Coming soon: Banner image-link to new anti-islam forum.
RE: Time invested in disbelief
For me it's two things:

1) It's too important not to think about

2) Atheism has it's foundations in the scientific method, something that i am deeply interested in.
I like to think (for me) that taking the time to explore opposing theories assists in solidifying my own belief system as to what is and what is not and to gain insights into what just might yet be discovered.

Science has given us the tools and the rules to argue with and that, I am guessing, is why it looks so futile.

Perhaps, it is that scientific method DEMANDS that all options are accounted for when conducting thought experiments. Confused Fall

Perhaps, it is that humans just like to argue?? Confusedhock:

It could also be that not enough people are Motorcycle Riders...who knows??Confused Fall
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(January 18, 2010 at 3:14 am)theVOID Wrote: 2) Atheism has it's foundations in the scientific method, something that i am deeply interested in.

Atheism was around long before the scientific method. For as long as deities have been made up, there have been people that didn't believe in them. The scientific method has nothing to do with that.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(January 18, 2010 at 5:32 am)leo-rcc Wrote:
(January 18, 2010 at 3:14 am)theVOID Wrote: 2) Atheism has it's foundations in the scientific method, something that i am deeply interested in.

Atheism was around long before the scientific method. For as long as deities have been made up, there have been people that didn't believe in them. The scientific method has nothing to do with that.

Sorry, should have said "new atheism" or "modern atheism" as Science is indeed the intellectual foundation of these positions.
I couldn't care less about the existence of God.

Whether he/she/it exists is irrelevent.

What I rebel against is the increasing rise of acceptance of the Bible/Koran as the TRUTH.

When it can be clearly and easily demonstrated to be anything but.

My alltime favorite being that dill who proves the existence of God with a banana.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Ray Comfort has in the mean time backtracked on that video, stating he was misrepresented. Still it is funny as fuck to watch though. Smile
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(January 18, 2010 at 6:51 am)leo-rcc Wrote: Ray Comfort has in the mean time backtracked on that video, stating he was misrepresented. Still it is funny as fuck to watch though. Smile

Isn't it just.

I'd like to know how he thinks he was misrepresented.

The funniest bit being where he demonstrated the ease of insertion of the banana into the mouth.

Generally people only adopt that expression when they are about to suck a cock.

Thinking
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(January 18, 2010 at 7:02 am)Zen Badger Wrote:
(January 18, 2010 at 6:51 am)leo-rcc Wrote: Ray Comfort has in the mean time backtracked on that video, stating he was misrepresented. Still it is funny as fuck to watch though. Smile

Isn't it just.

I'd like to know how he thinks he was misrepresented.

The funniest bit being where he demonstrated the ease of insertion of the banana into the mouth.

Generally people only adopt that expression when they are about to suck a cock.

Thinking

He says it was because nobody paid attention to his accompanying coke can analogy Smile
I'm not surprised

People were waiting for him to blow a banana.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No reason justifies disbelief. Catharsis 468 40493 March 30, 2019 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Doubt in disbelief snerie 63 8383 January 27, 2017 at 11:31 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Is the Atheism/Theism belief/disbelief a false dichotomy? are there other options? Psychonaut 69 14445 October 5, 2015 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: houseofcantor
  How many Atheist are also vote Republican from time to time? MattB 52 9677 July 18, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger