Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 5:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you ever doubt your atheism?
Do you ever doubt your atheism?
At first thought, that may appear to be a paradoxical question; like asking, "Do you doubt your disbelief in X?" With certain propositions, however, that is not a meaningless, nor fruitless inquiry to initiate. I have grown increasingly convinced that God, as an idea in its purest form, the free, unconditionally necessary, infinite source of our existence in this particular Universe, is one of those propositions. I am reluctant to use the term Being as this seems an unfortunate presumption, but that this state of affairs--which has historically and in measured respect been the God of true religion--in fair terms, a necessary mechanism on which all rational and empirical experience depends upon, seems to have a mounting case, no longer merely the crowning achievement of philosophy, but apparently also the crown that physical science so desperately seeks: A theory of everything.

But ah, I digress. I could go on but the point is, in atheism, what I am willing to call God, may be a middle ground where two polar opposites can meet, fully aware that in no way does this Ideal of Reason alter any of the functions of our Universe, but instead serves as the systematic unity by which we can perceive reality for what it is, the source of which makes that unity in consciousness we understand as the Self or the Ego possible. At what point of understanding does true religion earn the respect that its name is supposed to represent?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: Do you ever doubt your atheism?
Nope.
No... I have no evidence to suggest that anything other than a disbelief in god(s) is rational.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Rephrase the question? Are you putting the feelers out for an idea that "god" is a TOE? I could certainly say that this seems to be what many were searching for when they started imagining gods, if that's the question. There's never a point at which I'd call a theory a god, or God, personally.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
No, I don't doubt my atheist views. I'd need new evidence and argument of the kind theists haven't been able to produce for decades at least. But I live in the knowledge that I could doubt, given evidence.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
No, and I won't unless someone comes up with compelling evidence to support their theism.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
(August 16, 2014 at 3:08 am)Rhythm Wrote: Rephrase the question? Are you putting the feelers out for an idea that "god" is a TOE? I could certainly say that this seems to be what many were searching for when they started imagining gods, if that's the question. There's never a point at which I'd call a theory a god, or God, personally.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "putting the feelers out" but no, I'm not suggesting God as a theory in any sense but as a title that properly encompasses the infinitely incomprehensible that our philosophy and sciences seem directed towards as the source of everything (I don't think that can be captured by a scientific theory, btw), this substance or whatever you may have it being: unconditioned, necessary, free, and in some way separate from the physical, spacetime Universe.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
I hear you pickup. Even if (romantically) we feel the need to blame "something" for "everything", it won't be the current religious crowd.

They won't even be vaguely interested in this new entity.
The vast majority are only in it selfishly for personal salvation.

"An ammoral entity which created everything ..." what use is that to anybody if they cannot benefit from it somehow.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
No, but I qualify it all the time as I recognize I have room for counterparts for most of the trappings of Christianity - just minus the god.
I'll doubt my atheism when I get some evidence of a deity. There's nothing at all wrong with saying, "I could be wrong".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does your atheism come as a package? FrustratedFool 75 5192 October 7, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Sharing your atheism james hart 15 1712 April 24, 2020 at 5:25 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  Informing aging relatives of your Atheism Bahana 7 1252 October 7, 2018 at 8:49 am
Last Post: Bahana
  What is your problem with Atheism? ignoramus 113 23220 June 3, 2018 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Would you as an atheist EVER do this? Alexmahone 41 6496 December 6, 2017 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27084 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Do You Ever Miss God? Rhondazvous 75 20758 May 20, 2017 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  What is your favourite positive argument for atheism/unbelief? Lucanus 113 25661 April 22, 2017 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Poll: What is your Specific Level of Atheism? camlov2019 68 8092 January 27, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: flagbears
  Doubt in disbelief snerie 63 8384 January 27, 2017 at 11:31 am
Last Post: AceBoogie