Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is art subjective?
Is art subjective?
...or rather, is the enjoyment of art subjective?

Ever heard the argument "rap and hip hop is superior to all types of music!" or..."clearly The Catcher in the Rye is not a good piece of literature" or "thisd is not art! this is just a square!"

Are there quantifiable, rational means as to how to prove that one piece of art is better than the other?

Or is it all subjective?

Is that not the power of art? To emphasize subjective beauty?

Should we inflict the same level of objectivity to art as we do to science?
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
RE: Is art subjective?
Beauty is ascribed to that which brings ascetic pleasure, and the source of pleasure is reducible to chemical reactions derived by a person's physiology, which is wed with their surrounding environment; hence, it will vary with everyone. Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Art is definitely subjective. One man's art is another man's toilet paper.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
Just as the beauty is in the eye of the holder so does degradation.
This is a subject that brings me lots of interest, but I haven't researched enough to make a definitive conclusion.

I remember in highschool (philosophy class) discussing this, the whole stuff about the horrid and ugly being art too.

In my opinion, most art (and beauty too for that matter) is subjective, however I think we could consider a small part to be objective, or we would be pressured to reach absurd conclusions. I'll give an easy example, what If I consider Bieber to be the best musician and artist worldwide? I could do it, but most would disagree with me.

I'll use the same criteria that I use for objective morality, there is art that 99% of people will consider valuable (even if they are not fans of the artist), just like moral values, and beauty. I could say Irina Shayk is ugly, but how accurate would that be? If beauty can be subjective too, then how come 'ugly' people never date gorgeous ones?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

You can clearly have objective measures of art-- but the definition of art is then arbitrary. For example, "Art is that which causes the strongest sense of longing" could be followed by the laboratory identification of brain regions/patterns which viewers associate with the feeling they call "longing," and then people could be made to look at a lot of things to determine which artifacts most strongly activate those brain regions and patterns.

But then some guy will come along and say, "This thing here doesn't invoke any particularly longing, but it clearly deserves to be called art," and fucks things up by bringing mind back into the scientific study of mind. The next day will be even worse: the brain researchers will fight back by writing a wikipedia article "proving" beauty is a triggering of X-function in the Y-lobe of the brain. Then when I point out how beautiful a sunset is, every prick in every forum in the world will call me a n00b, and link this definitive proof that beauty has nothing to do with beauty.

Let me try my own definition of beauty: "That which elicits emotions for which no combination of words is a sufficient description-- or which makes me horny."
(August 16, 2014 at 8:44 am)Blackout Wrote: I'll use the same criteria that I use for objective morality, there is art that 99% of people will consider valuable (even if they are not fans of the artist), just like moral values, and beauty. I could say Irina Shayk is ugly, but how accurate would that be? If beauty can be subjective too, then how come 'ugly' people never date gorgeous ones?
Let me rephrase that for you.
"If beauty can be subjective too, then how come I have never seen 'ugly' people date gorgeous ones?"
You're welcome.
(August 16, 2014 at 9:18 am)Baqal Wrote: Let me rephrase that for you.
"If beauty can be subjective too, then how come I have never seen 'ugly' people date gorgeous ones?"
You're welcome.

Many gorgeous girls have gone out with ugly men, I think it's something to do with low self esteem.

And occasionally, money.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(August 16, 2014 at 8:44 am)Blackout Wrote: I'll give an easy example, what If I consider Bieber to be the best musician and artist worldwide? I could do it, but most would disagree with me.
I wish that were true. But if you run a poll to determine how many people think Mozart is the greatest musician in history vs. Bieber, wanna guess who will win?

(August 16, 2014 at 9:18 am)Baqal Wrote:
(August 16, 2014 at 8:44 am)Blackout Wrote: I'll use the same criteria that I use for objective morality, there is art that 99% of people will consider valuable (even if they are not fans of the artist), just like moral values, and beauty. I could say Irina Shayk is ugly, but how accurate would that be? If beauty can be subjective too, then how come 'ugly' people never date gorgeous ones?
Let me rephrase that for you.
You're welcome.
You've never seen me standing with my wife. Big Grin
Fascinating question in the OP.

I'm just going to enjoy reading this one.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 34899 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Subjective Issues Azu 13 2354 September 26, 2017 at 10:07 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Is morality objective or subjective? SuperSentient 50 11219 May 18, 2017 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  On the consistent use of "objective" and "subjective" Ignorant 22 4274 November 15, 2016 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Objective vs. Subjective morality: what's the diff? bennyboy 8 2145 March 27, 2016 at 3:56 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Metaethical subjective relativism The Barefoot Bum 15 4920 August 5, 2015 at 8:50 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  If morality is subjective... Dystopia 25 3695 February 14, 2015 at 3:33 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Objective vs Subjective Morals FallentoReason 36 8958 May 5, 2014 at 11:58 am
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  Knowledge of Qualia or Subjective States Whateverist 5 2753 May 10, 2013 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Objective Morality and Subjective Morality Sulthus 2 4145 January 17, 2011 at 7:28 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused