Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recipes thread
Recipes thread
What are your favourite recipes? Mine is a Brazilian Gammon and white bean stew, which is cheap and tasty, which is great considering I'm a student;

Ingredients: ~500g diced gammon (or bacon), 2 400g tins of cannelini beans (or other white beans), 1 medium onion (diced) , 1 garlic clove, 1 bunch spring onions, ground cumin, ground coriander, cayenne pepper, turmeric, oregano, ground black pepper, salt. Optional: Chopped chilli, fresh coriander or parsley.

1) Fry the onions and gammon in a large saucepan for 5 minutes
2) Crush in the garlic and fry for an additional 5 minutes
3) Add 1 tsp of cumin and oregano, 1/2 tsp of the other spices and fry for an additional 3 minutes
4) Drain the cannelini beans and mix in. Add water to cover (pre-boil the water in a kettle) and boil for 5 mins, then leave to simmer for 15 minutes.

Options for serving:
Potatoes: Dice about 8 medium potatoes (roughly the size of the beans) and add to the stew and simmer on a low heat till the potatoes are soft
Rice: Add about half a mug full of rice per person to the stew. When all the water has been absorbed, check to see if the rice is cooked. If not, add around a mug full of boiling water, and repeat.

When the potatoes/rice have been cooked, chop the spring onions, chilli and coriander/parsley into the stew. Serves 4.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
RE: Recipes thread
Wish I could cook.

Can I share a link to a blog?
(August 19, 2014 at 6:55 am)czúzyt ylgájla Wrote: Wish I could cook.

Can I share a link to a blog?

Go ahead
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
Not sure if this is how my mum makes it. But who cares.Big Grin
http://www.cookingwithalia.com/appetizer...libya.html
I enjoy cooking, and within my own limitations am pretty damn good, if I do so allow.

Here's a thread OP from another forum, where I often share my cooking experiences.

Thumpalumpacus Wrote:Hey, I was pretty tired of traditional holiday food this year, so I made us lasagna instead. Here's my recipe; I hope y'all enjoy it. You East-Coast second-generation-Little Italy types don't break my balls too hard ... I'm just a redneck stuck out West trying to do right. Smile

Anyway, start with some good basic ingredients -- seasoned salt, pepper, basil, oregano, Italian seasoning, worcestershire sauce, ground garlic, a couple of 15-oz cans of tomato sauce, a pound of ricotta cheese, and I use a 6-cheese Italian blend. If you don't have that availaible, some grated mozzarella and asiago will get the job done. You will also need one pound of italian sausage, two eggs, one medium bell pepper sliced ring-wise, 1/2 medium zucchini diced, 1/2 med onion diced, three or four medium campari tomatoes, chopped fine (use two medium romas if Camparis aren't available), four to six large mushrooms (portabellas preferable, white or brown acceptable -- I'm using white) and one large bulb of garlic, chopped finely:

[Image: furs78.jpg]
[Image: mmwjm0.jpg]
[Image: jai8bb.jpg]

Slice up the sausage and pan-fry it in a little olive oil. In a medium saucepan, mix your tomato sauce, onion, diced tomato, chopped garlic, diced zucchini, along with plenty of oregano, some Italian seasoning, and some basil (be very careful, basil is a powerful flavor), and garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce, and bring to a covered simmer for about 30 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste while you're doing this. Once the sausage is browned, add it to the sauce and simmer for another 30 minutes:

[Image: 352htow.jpg]

Soak some lasagna pasta for 30-45 minutes while you're doing some of those steps.

Once your sauce is done, you start building your casserole in a pan with a light coat of olive oil. Lay down a thin layer of sauce first, and then a bed of pasta:

[Image: 23hnjx2.jpg]

Beat the eggs into the ricotta cheese (helps spreadability). Spread your ricotta directly onto the pasta, and then your pepper rings, mushrooms, and grated cheese:

[Image: 246qejt.jpg]
[Image: sdhj84.jpg]

... and repeat the process until you've topped out your casserole pan:

[Image: 2zhqmvb.jpg]

Now you get to pop it into the oven for 45 minutes at 375°F, and relax a little. When it's done:

[Image: 2mo5gtc.jpg]

It's time-consuming, but worth it, and makes a good break from traditional holiday fare.

Are those pork sausages? How do they taste like? (Every is making me wanna try em)
(August 19, 2014 at 8:01 am)czúzyt ylgájla Wrote: Are those pork sausages? How do they taste like? (Every is making me wanna try em)

They taste a lot like babies.
(August 19, 2014 at 8:03 am)jesus_wept Wrote:
(August 19, 2014 at 8:01 am)czúzyt ylgájla Wrote: Are those pork sausages? How do they taste like? (Every is making me wanna try em)

They taste a lot like babies.

White babies or black babies, i never tried the latter. eating black babies is against my sect.
(August 19, 2014 at 8:08 am)czúzyt ylgájla Wrote:
(August 19, 2014 at 8:03 am)jesus_wept Wrote: They taste a lot like babies.

White babies or black babies, i never tried the latter. eating black babies is against my sect.

Yellow ones.
(August 19, 2014 at 8:11 am)jesus_wept Wrote:
(August 19, 2014 at 8:08 am)czúzyt ylgájla Wrote: White babies or black babies, i never tried the latter. eating black babies is against my sect.

Yellow ones.

Oooooh, exotic.

If I come and visit the developed world, what kind of pork stuff should I try first.

And OP, try Dolma.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Secret Recipes onlinebiker 19 1575 July 10, 2019 at 11:38 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Link us to your intro thread, first post and/or first thread Whateverist 35 4121 October 21, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Very low fat recipes purplepurpose 39 2537 August 21, 2018 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Joods
Thumbs Up Save a cow, share vegetarian recipes please! Catholic_Lady 72 10736 July 7, 2015 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Nope
  Thai Red Curry recipes or recommendations Clueless Morgan 8 1990 July 14, 2014 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Simple and Cheap Winter Recipes Quid 11 3310 December 13, 2012 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: festive1