Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does myth still have purpose?
Does myth still have purpose?
Over the weeks I have found myths and religious scripture to be of no value. Although I am strongly fond of symbolism I am not so of myth.

When myth is used to convey a message I find it to be blurred and obscure, much like trying to make sense of the Bible. Myth tends to cloud my ability to understand things so my once admirable love of holy writ(myths) has just dropped because of this.
No matter how you look at myth you realize that it all comes down to hermeneutics or how you interpret them. This is why seemingly evil books like the Bible and Qur'an have stuck around for so long.

If myth makes its message so unclear to the point that undesirable aspects can be expunged from interpretation what is the point?

...Meow
Ut supra, ita inferius
[Image: 0c112e9da4d42c24a073c335a3e38de1_zpsezmp...g~original]
Uƚ ƨuqɿɒ, iƚɒ inʇɘɿiuƨ
RE: Does myth still have purpose?
Yes I do think Myths have meaning, they can teach us deep understanding, which we could call metaphorical understanding, its just a story that is loaded with wisdom, but only for those who are ready.
(August 20, 2014 at 2:03 am)psychoslice Wrote: Yes I do think Myths have meaning, they can teach us deep understanding, which we could call metaphorical understanding, its just a story that is loaded with wisdom, but only for those who are ready.

My issue is that mythical writings are like philosophical writings. They over state their case and do unnecessary elaboration until you cannot tell what is intended to have meaning and what it intended to progress the lore.
Ut supra, ita inferius
Uƚ ƨuqɿɒ, iƚɒ inʇɘɿiuƨ
I like Karen Armstrong's understanding of mythos: 'a myth is something that in some sense happened once and still happens today'.

Yes, I think myths are excellent for capturing and communicating truths that transcend cultural setting. I think they help us lift up our heads and see beyond our immediate surroundings in space and time. They help us to learn from those that came before us, and help us explore what it is to be human. They remind us that we're connected to countless generations of those before us who have explored our humanity; we join a 'bigger family' of humanity when we engage with and explore myth.
I love the myth about (was it) Hercules who had to kill the minotaur in a maze in Crete.
Everyone else who entered got lost in the maze and never returned.
Hercules, of course, used some string to navigate the maze, killed the minotaur and followed the string back!

Why couldn't they say, hey stupid, there's no GPS signal, you must use a bit of string so you won't get lost. Why did they have to include fantasy to pass on a simple message.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
They serve some entertainment purpose. My problem with myths is that they brainwash people into strapping bombs to their chest so they can go defile their 72 virgins in the afterlife. They tell people being gay is a sin and they're going to burn in hell for all eternity. They tell people that someone died for their sins and that they're supposed to accept this as truth on no evidence whatsoever. The myths give god all of the credit for other people's good works, and tell them that they are worthless, and can do no good without "the" god of their faith. I feel this world could use a bit more reality, and could afford to lose some of its myths.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens- My Hero
(August 20, 2014 at 2:08 am)PhiloTech Wrote:
(August 20, 2014 at 2:03 am)psychoslice Wrote: Yes I do think Myths have meaning, they can teach us deep understanding, which we could call metaphorical understanding, its just a story that is loaded with wisdom, but only for those who are ready.

My issue is that mythical writings are like philosophical writings. They over state their case and do unnecessary elaboration until you cannot tell what is intended to have meaning and what it intended to progress the lore.

But I could tell you a insightful story with much meaning to it, if you are ready to receive such a story, then the story will help you in your life. It doesn't matter if the story is true or not, its the wisdom that is within the storey that helps one to understand what one needs to understand.
(August 20, 2014 at 2:20 am)Eel_LahjicK Wrote: They serve some entertainment purpose. My problem with myths is that they brainwash people into strapping bombs to their chest so they can go defile their 72 virgins in the afterlife. They tell people being gay is a sin and they're going to burn in hell for all eternity. They tell people that someone died for their sins and that they're supposed to accept this as truth on no evidence whatsoever. The myths give god all of the credit for other people's good works, and tell them that they are worthless, and can do no good without "the" god of their faith. I feel this world could use a bit more reality, and could afford to lose some of its myths.

This has been my issue. We do not live in an age where mythical thinking is acceptable. All religions are becoming heavily secularized and very quickly.
Mythical thinking to me is a precursor to philosophical thinking and philosophical thinking is a precursor to scientific thinking.
Ut supra, ita inferius
Uƚ ƨuqɿɒ, iƚɒ inʇɘɿiuƨ

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Even if theism is a failure, it's still superior to atheism R00tKiT 491 36197 December 25, 2022 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  [Serious] What does religion have to offer? EgoDeath 53 5623 August 3, 2019 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  You can be an immorale person and still promote christianity Kimba 12 1787 June 30, 2018 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Why are believers still afraid of death? Der/die AtheistIn 49 4572 March 8, 2018 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  The purpose of human life is probably to create "Artificial General Intelligence" uncool 45 8908 February 1, 2018 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: polymath257
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, vaahaa 19 2816 September 18, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Personification in Greek Myth Tea Earl Grey Hot 35 6634 March 30, 2017 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Does the bible have intrinsic value? ignoramus 32 3057 May 5, 2016 at 11:20 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  The Myth of Infallibility Skeptimus Signus 45 4919 April 30, 2016 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  The Evolution of a Myth Mudhammam 10 2824 March 27, 2016 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Mudhammam