Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boy, 11, excluded from Scouts because he doesn’t believe in God

http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2012/1...eve-in-god

An 11-year old boy from Midsomer Norton, near Bath, Somerset, has been told he cannot join his local Scout troop because he does not believe in God and doesn't want to make the Scout Promise in its present form. This requires Scouts to "do their duty by God and the Queen".
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

RE: Boy, 11, excluded from Scouts because he doesn’t believe in God
(August 20, 2014 at 3:49 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Boy, 11, excluded from Scouts because he doesn’t believe in God

http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2012/1...eve-in-god

An 11-year old boy from Midsomer Norton, near Bath, Somerset, has been told he cannot join his local Scout troop because he does not believe in God and doesn't want to make the Scout Promise in its present form. This requires Scouts to "do their duty by God and the Queen".

Huh...I admit I didn't know the UK had the Scouts. Are the affiliated at all with the Boy Scouts of America?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
While I disagree with exclusionary practices, I do support a private organization's right to do as they wish concerning membership allowances.
(August 20, 2014 at 3:50 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Huh...I admit I didn't know the UK had the Scouts. Are the affiliated at all with the Boy Scouts of America?

Tsk. Tsk. The scouts originated in good old Blighty. They were started by Lord Baden-Powell in 1907. He wrote a book on reconnaissance for boys, hence 'scouts'.
I have a feeling its more tied to the CoE, although it seemed only loosely tied. I was in the Cub Scouts which were the 8-11 year olds or something around those ages. Doing your duty to an imaginary person and an elderly woman who doesn't know or care about my existence hasn't caused me any grief.

Its kind of sad seems the scouts really is a one of a kind sort of group. I really enjoyed it. I'm a little surprised how petty the leaders are. The leaders of our local group probably wouldn't have given a single fuck.
(August 20, 2014 at 3:58 pm)Michael Wrote:
(August 20, 2014 at 3:50 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Huh...I admit I didn't know the UK had the Scouts. Are the affiliated at all with the Boy Scouts of America?

Tsk. Tsk. The scouts originated in good old Blighty. They were started by Lord Baden-Powell.

I guess I'm just familiar with the "Boy Scouts" (no idea if they're the same organization). I'm not really a fan of the Boy Scouts due to some of their policies and the fact they get government favors, but I dunno if the Scouts of the UK get the same bonuses.
- Thomas Jefferson
This actually doesn't trouble at all. The Scouts are a private organisation. As such, they can exclude whomever they like, for whatever reasons they like.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 20, 2014 at 4:01 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: This actually doesn't trouble at all. The Scouts are a private organisation. As such, they can exclude whomever they like, for whatever reasons they like.

Sure, that doesn't make it any less of a dick move.
(August 20, 2014 at 4:01 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: This actually doesn't trouble at all. The Scouts are a private organisation. As such, they can exclude whomever they like, for whatever reasons they like.

Boru

Not sure if you're referring to the Boy Scouts in America or the UK Scouts. If the UK Scouts are a private organization, then yeah that's fine even if I think it's immoral. However, while the Boy Scouts of America are 'technically' a private organization, they get huge discounts from the government for land usage (sometimes getting use of public land for free), and using public buildings on the cheap over other groups that would have to pay to use them. It's kind of a dickish situation.
- Thomas Jefferson
The Scouts are awful, on account of the fact that I had to go camping for 2 weeks in Wales (Wales?!?) and it rained all the time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UCKG: Church tells boy 'evil spirit' hides in him zebo-the-fat 1 356 December 11, 2023 at 4:51 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Brick If everything has a purpose then evil doesn't exist zwanzig 738 38424 June 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Last Post: emjay
  Why doesn't God love his enemies? Fake Messiah 16 1330 November 30, 2022 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 8228 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  So, why doesn't Scripture uniquely endorse a specific denomination ? vorlon13 36 10647 November 22, 2017 at 5:27 am
Last Post: Cod
  My dad doesn't view Christianity as superior Der/die AtheistIn 0 648 November 10, 2017 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  I don't believe in Christianity primarily because of the brain SerenelyBlue 111 12715 September 20, 2016 at 12:30 am
Last Post: Cecelia
  Christianity Can't Be True Because... pipw1995 75 11554 August 31, 2016 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
Photo Christian Memes/Pics Because Reasons -- Please add your favorites stop_pushing_me 29 13703 September 23, 2015 at 9:53 pm
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  WHY do we have religion? Because fables are FUN. drfuzzy 5 1690 September 1, 2015 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: dyresand