Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Argument for Religion Rejection a benefit?
Is the Argument for Religion Rejection a benefit?
Basically is there any political, sociological, economical benefit to being Atheist, Agnostic, Gnostic or Deist or any I missed as apposed to being in an organized religion?

To Be Clear, is there a benefit to not believing in the nationally prescribed, recognized, and/or popular religious affiliation of a nation in terms of economic, political, social, or cultural means?

Granted several of the benefits are complete non-sense rationally. However socially, economically, politically can it be argued that there are not benefits?
RE: Is the Argument for Religion Rejection a benefit?
Largely irrelevant. I did not do a cost/benefit analysis to decide if I believed in the heavenly horseshit. I simply reached the conclusion that it was childish nonsense.
Similar story here. It's not that I weighed up the pros and cons and picked the one that delivered the best return. I was and remain unconvinced by the party rhetoric. Absence of evidence for the stories is a big plus.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 21, 2014 at 1:48 am)Minimalist Wrote: Largely irrelevant. I did not do a cost/benefit analysis to decide if I believed in the heavenly horseshit. I simply reached the conclusion that it was childish nonsense.

My apologies. I've once again failed in stating what I meant. I did not mean to ask if you looked at solely what a religion offered your soul, but what it offered you materially, in reality, in the current political system.

I've sorry I wasn't clear. If this is not clear I will try again, please let me know what you heard from my question and I will try again or affirm.

(August 21, 2014 at 1:55 am)Stimbo Wrote: Similar story here. It's not that I weighed up the pros and cons and picked the one that delivered the best return. I was and remain unconvinced by the party rhetoric. Absence of evidence for the stories is a big plus.

I must once again apologize for my ignorance. I do not know what a "remain" is. I must also assume that the "Absence of evidence" refers to a belief as in contrast to the opposite scenario and that was never my intention. My intention was rather a debate on the political, economical, social benefits of belief.

I'm deeply sorry that I've failed you. I will attempt to make amends to the my main query.
In the US there is no benefit to being an atheist...unless you count sleeping in on Sunday and not pissing money away supporting these criminal priests.

However no one chooses a religion because of any tangible benefit. Most people are born into it.
(August 21, 2014 at 2:11 am)Minimalist Wrote: In the US there is no benefit to being an atheist...unless you count sleeping in on Sunday and not pissing money away supporting these criminal priests.

However no one chooses a religion because of any tangible benefit. Most people are born into it.

Born again's don't choose it? Can site several born again Christians that chose god as their savoir.

EDIT: I recognize I shouldn't add Quotes to words in arguments I defend. Sorry for being slow witted. I have removed them.
Most of the ones I know are baptist shits from the start. After a few years of jesus camp they fall for it hook, line and sinker.

It's child abuse, really.
(August 21, 2014 at 2:23 am)Minimalist Wrote: Most of the ones I know are baptist shits from the start. After a few years of jesus camp they fall for it hook, line and sinker.

It's child abuse, really.

I'm not sure what or if there is a fallacy for it, but it's an appeal to your own personal experience. Perhaps you could enlighten me on the correct term if one is in existence?
It's really very simple. Parents indoctrinate their kids into whatever religion they practice. Some kids drift off to another faith but there is little point in exchanging one fairy tale for another. I suspect that most of the ones who drift away really do not latch on to another faith and simply become the "None's" in the US.

http://www.pewforum.org/2012/10/09/nones-on-the-rise/

Quote:“Nones” on the Rise

The number of Americans who do not identify with any religion continues to grow at a rapid pace. One-fifth of the U.S. public – and a third of adults under 30 – are religiously unaffiliated today, the highest percentages ever in Pew Research Center polling.

In the last five years alone, the unaffiliated have increased from just over 15% to just under 20% of all U.S. adults. Their ranks now include more than 13 million self-described atheists and agnostics (nearly 6% of the U.S. public), as well as nearly 33 million people who say they have no particular religious affiliation (14%).3
(August 21, 2014 at 2:32 am)Minimalist Wrote: It's really very simple. Parents indoctrinate their kids into whatever religion they practice. Some kids drift off to another faith but there is little point in exchanging one fairy tale for another. I suspect that most of the ones who drift away really do not latch on to another faith and simply become the "None's" in the US.

http://www.pewforum.org/2012/10/09/nones-on-the-rise/

Quote:“Nones” on the Rise

The number of Americans who do not identify with any religion continues to grow at a rapid pace. One-fifth of the U.S. public – and a third of adults under 30 – are religiously unaffiliated today, the highest percentages ever in Pew Research Center polling.

In the last five years alone, the unaffiliated have increased from just over 15% to just under 20% of all U.S. adults. Their ranks now include more than 13 million self-described atheists and agnostics (nearly 6% of the U.S. public), as well as nearly 33 million people who say they have no particular religious affiliation (14%).3

1. I fail to see how that has anything to do with my OP.

2. Do you feel this equitably explains all "born again" Christians? That every christian who, or I'll grant you the majority of, found faith as a "new or born again" christian found it due to previous indoctrination?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10745 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4910 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19830 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49346 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5190 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Worst Argument For Religion You Have Ever Heard? CoolBoy 32 12661 August 5, 2010 at 10:40 am
Last Post: Thor