Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
persecution complix amongst the religious
persecution complix amongst the religious
Discuss, rant and everything

So Sunnis keep talking about how the world wants to destroy them, they keep whining about being persecuted by Shiites, Christians, Jews, Hindus and Buddhists. I mean can't they look in the mirror. Confused Fall

And I'm new to Christianity (I'm researching different religions, the main ones to be exact), and I've noticed the persecution complex. Can you share more?Big Grin

And what other religions (and groups in general) that you know of have a persecution complex?
RE: persecution complix amongst the religious
It's not unique to religion. You see white people talk about being persecuted by the "PC brigade".

Many football managers use the psychology of "the whole world is against you" to inspire their players. Sir Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho are two I can think of. It's powerful stuff.

As an aside, religious groups do actually persecute each other. Whereever there is a minoriy religious group, there is potential to be persecuted. Just look at what is going on in the Middle East. It puts the complaints that American Christians have into context. Not being able to let your child wear a T-shirt condemning homosexuality isn't the same as having your entire family slaughtered.
What I don't understand is that they whine about their brother of faith, and then ignore their own persecution of others.
When a Sunni complains about Iran, I can't stop thinking about Saudi Arabia for example.
Affiliation by default is an exercise in otherism. Generally speaking most religions ingrain through their holy texts or via the words of 'elders'/clergy etc that people external to their groups are out to get them. But it's not exclusive to religion.

We don't have any christians (or indeed theists as far as I can tell) who are genuine victims on this forum. None. Ironically, there are a large number of christians out there who are victims of perseuction, such as the coptics in various states in the Middle East who are being slaughtered and ousted from their homes by militants in places like Syria, Iraq and Egypt.

Could be wrong but I've not heard a peep from anyone here about that.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So why do Christians here in the United States have such a persecution complex GoHalos1993 13 3686 November 2, 2015 at 10:26 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Pastafarian Persecution in Canada Minimalist 25 3341 October 10, 2014 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 32907 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope